• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Send your information and pictures to your local news station. All stations have a local segment. They will put out the word, put t on their facebook. People will react. Will they catch these, maybe not. But, the political folks will see the people reactions. You might get your signs sooner.

Case in point, someone found a strangled kitten. Took pic's and sent it to the news. the news reported, put it on facebook. And it took off. The facebook reaction was so much, they guy turned himself in. His friends recognized the kitten. This is over a several months. Today, he got 2 years and 3 month in jail. One year community service at the local humane society when he gets out and some fine. You never know.
  • Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#32 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I agree the power of pictures can go a long way!

Jim
  • Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#33 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4347 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Too bad you can't hang out in the bushes with the 400mm and video them doing their deeds.  Then publish on youtube and send to the local constabulary. <_<

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#34 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Better yet the Tammy at 600mm and just blast them all over the web. The sad part is they would sue and drag Art through the cost of a trial.

This still angers me.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#35 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

Some people are .....  (keeping it G).   Unfortunately, some fisherman see the cormorant and other species as competitors for the fish supply.  The cormorants do have a reputation of cleaning out the smaller fish that feed the game fish, but...  that is not reason to treat them like that. 

NYS DEC does a good job of monitoring such abuse.  On Oneida Lake you  will find the DEC, and three different Sheriff Departments patrolling. 

Keep up the gentle and metered pressure.  Too much noise makes you sound like a crack pot, but intelligent and thoughtful communications ( which I have no doubt that your letters are)will get favorable response.

(BTW maybe a photo series to the local press identifying the diverse population might help as well.  Down side is that will bring in more people to see it.)

Keep up the good work.

Cliff

• Art likes this
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#36 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, Cliff.  My letters are all soft key.  Raving to government doesn't get you anywhere.  I find this abuse pretty offensive and everything has to be done tactfully, no worries.

Cormorants are a bit of a pest in Toronto.  They have not only discovered us, they are here in numbers!!!  My wife and I were out on the Lake last week, just chilling and she noticed a cloud of black coming over the water.  "What's that?"

I stopped counting as I got to 600.... there had to be well over 1,000 Cormorant in a group flying from the Leslie Spit, moving west, to feed.  This is a small  fraction of the number of Cormorants in the Toronto area.  The Cormorants were also very, very prevelant at the Thousand Islands as well, they seem to be everywhere in numbers.  I am working on posting those pics tonight, just to show you.  Condo owners in Toronto, near the nesting areas are up in arms over the smell and defoliation/damage they cause.

Regardless of the number or the problem, this isn't how you treat animals. The individual involved is heartless and will not just stop at just the Cormorant.  He has to be stopped, charged and made an example of.

More importantly, the area needs to be protected with signs and some enforcement.  My goal is to make this happen.

Signature_Line_V4

#37 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Amen, here it's the Candian geese they have taken over every small pond and lake but I love them and there are humane ways to take care of them.

In the end I prefer to live with them than without!!!!!

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#38 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4347 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Geese will avoid dead-goose decoys.  I saw some of these on the lawn of a business once and thought they were the real thing.  There were NO live geese anywhere near them.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#39 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Geese will avoid dead-goose decoys.  I saw some of these on the lawn of a business once and thought they were the real thing.  There were NO live geese anywhere near them.

Really! How about that....

Signature_Line_V4

#40 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hmmm

Making up some IRS decoys today!

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#41 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4347 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Careful, they might tap your kids' phones...
Don

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users