#1 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10377 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

An exciting project is currently taking place here in The Netherlands and promises a future abundance of birdlife...

For details see link: https://rewildingeur...island-opening/

Video link: https://youtu.be/3Nt7S1FPEVA

Thought I'd share this info with you to possibly add on your next visit to The Netherlands.

:)  

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Very nice, Herman. Toronto has a project similar to that that has been extremely successful.  Tommy Thomson Park.  5 kilometers and 250 hectares, it started off as landfill for construction sites.  Sand from dredging the port land areas was also dumped there, that eventually turned into lagoons.

Really, the place was just a neglected dumping site that turned into an accidental wildlife wilderness.  Now, it is protected.  It is a very bleak place to walk, due to the distance and you have to contend with weather.  In the summer, it can be extremely hot, in the winter, on a windy day, it is brutal.  However, all sorts of birds nest there.  It is quite amazing.

Congratulations on a potential new site to visit for nature.  Nice to see it is being done for Nature First.

I have a similar place I used to frequent weekly near my house.  However, developers around the park have completely RUINED IT!  Too many people, too many dogs, cyclists etc frequent the area and although there still are birds and other animal life, it is no longer the same.  

I am glad to hear the Netherlands is actively doing a project like this, kudos to your government!

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7403 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for posting this, Herman.

I haven't heard of Re-wilding before this, but it would appear to be an idea whose time has come.  I fully support it.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7116 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

Great project Herman ...we have the luxury of plenty of wilderness areas set aside... but the ongoing problem is all the introduced predator species that have to be controlled..rats,cats,possums,stoats.... big efforts go into fencing out these predators.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7068 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

Rewilding.....an interesting term.a great concept. 

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:31 AM

Nice, it's always nice to be able to get away from everything

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#7 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like an excellent program.  (Montezuma NWR) has gone through some rehabilitation.  Marsh was filling in and areas have been dredged recreating open water spaces.  Improvements to the road and additional access points have been created.  There were levees built years ago to control water levels and prevent carp access.  While this was well intended it did restrict natural water flow which cleaned the marsh.  They can now control water and fill different pools at various times to attract a bigger variety of birds, especially waders.  My hope is that the funds continue to be available and not diverted ELSEWHERE.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users