55 replies to this topic

#31 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

Okay, so let's take a step back. What does mirrorless give you that a DSLR doesn't? Higher frame rate and the ability to use the viewfinder when shooting in situations where, with a DSLR, you'd need to lock the mirror up, like shooting video, correct?? Oh and eliminates mirror slap for long exposure stability.

What else??

It makes the camera slimmer which is nice if you like lightweight, compact systems, particularly when you're using smaller lenses.

You can preview your exposure/exposure compensation, chosen film simulation, DoF, histogram, MF Focus Peaking etc etc all live before and during taking a shot. I can't emphasise this one enough. I have used the exp/comp dial more nice getting a mirrorless system than in the previous 40 years of using a camera, it is now so intuitive I tweak the histogram on more shots than I don't.

You're not to limited to one brand of lens fitting - you can buy £15 adapters to fit just about anything you can possibly imagine on the front and still retain both infinity focus and full metering.

On sensor AF isn't limited to a narrow area like most phase detect systems so you can place your chosen point anywhere in the frame - like live view on a DSLR but without the handicaps that come with it.

Apparently with this new Sony - NO - viewfinder blackout which if that is the case is a major leap forward....if we carefully step around viewfinder systems and TLR's of course  ;)

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#32 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

You're not to limited to one brand of lens fitting - you can buy £15 adapters to fit just about anything you can possibly imagine on the front and still retain both infinity focus and full metering.

Thanks for confirming this, BP.  

These adaptors are why I won't freak out about the rise of mirrorless cameras.  Right now, I'm very happy with the D810.  However, if my future requirements change; or if a mirrorless camera comes along that is just too good to ignore, it's really nice to know that I won't have to sell my current glass at garage sale prices, then re-mortgage our home, to buy compatible glass. 

Warning to Nikon:  these adapters are why it would be a serious mistake for you to assume that folks like me have too much invested in glass to ever make a change.  B)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#33 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5313 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

It is quite the opposite and quite depressing to be honest.

Back in the day we bought and sold cheap Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, those from basic Praktica systems, the 'junk' as you'd refer to it at the time from Helios and Pentacon etc for a few pounds. Literally the trade in value of a Helios 58/2 would be £2 and we'd sell it on for £4 or so - or just give it away on a body and write the cost off.

Today those lenses - because of mirrorless systems being able to use them and because people (like myself) want to experiment with weird bokeh and unusual looks - are selling for anywhere between £20 and £100. Some of the rarer (you could argue better ones) can sell for hundreds and hundreds of pounds. Its enough to make a grown man weep at the though of all the ones we had in boxes and hated that they took up space on our shelves in the rear of the store. Same goes for old Pentax fit lenses. Some of the old stuff that again traded for a few pounds are going for astronomical prices as pretty much all Pentax DSLR's will take and use them. 

Nikon are mental to be honest - if they made more of their bodies compatible with MF lenses (don't get me started on the D7500 again) then the value of the stuff we all have lying about would rocket and the interest around the brand would leap.

Edited by Black Pearl, 23 April 2017 - 03:13 AM.

#34 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thom Hogan has more interesting things to say about the A9.

http://www.dslrbodie...ic-upgrade.html

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#35 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

BP, Nikon does not want you to be interested in Nikon!  :P

It seems to be the plan.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#36 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Nikon needs to hire a CEO away from either Sony or Fuji - someone who knows how to advance a camera company.  When I think of them these days, I get this image of a bunch of crotchety old guys waiting out retirement and thinking "We're NIKON, they wouldn't dare abandon us!!"

Now that BP has informed us of some of the advantages, and that we can use our old lenses, I can see that it's very feasible to start transitioning for a lot of people. 

I'm wondering about the older mechanically focusing Nikon lenses - probably these are manual focus only on, say, a Fuji camera, no??

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#37 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:51 AM

Don, those old guys need the GOLDEN SWORD hand shake, CEO down to VP .... take it .... FALL ON IT.

Maybe then, you can restore this company to greatness!

#38 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

Nikon needs to hire a CEO away from either Sony or Fuji - someone who knows how to advance a camera company.  When I think of them these days, I get this image of a bunch of crotchety old guys waiting out retirement and thinking "We're NIKON, they wouldn't dare abandon us!!"

Now that BP has informed us of some of the advantages, and that we can use our old lenses, I can see that it's very feasible to start transitioning for a lot of people. 

I'm wondering about the older mechanically focusing Nikon lenses - probably these are manual focus only on, say, a Fuji camera, no??

Nikon sure does need a change at the top.

Jim 

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#39 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Don, those old guys need the GOLDEN SWORD hand shake, CEO down to VP .... take it .... FALL ON IT.

Maybe then, you can restore this company to greatness!

VP?? Janitor maybe...
  • Art likes this
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#40 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

I haven't gotten to see this yet....

https://photorumors....n-d500-cameras/

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#41 Jimmy

Jimmy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Family,
    Music & Photography

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

I'll probably never be a friend of mirrorless Cams. I just need to look through the lens.
The many discussions about the "better camera systems" in the www are more fluid than superfluous.
Everyone as he likes - Live and let live.

In the end, only a picture is hanging on the wall and not even the best performance data.
The photographer does the picture - not the camera. The camera is just an instrument. But you all know that too. :)

Nikon D750:     AI-s Nikkor, 28mm F2.8   /   AI-s Nikkor, 50mm F1.2   /   AI-s Nikkor 85mm F2   /   AI-s Nikkor, 105mm F2.5
                            Lensbaby Velvet, 56mm F1.6 (Macro 1:2)   /   Helios 44-2, 58mm F2   /   Petzval 58mm F1.9   /   Helios 40-2-N, 85mm F1.5 MC   /   Jupiter-9, 85mm F2
                            Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan, 100mm F2.8   /   Tair-11A, 135mm F2.8

#42 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

Touché that. Hopefully Nikon will come up with a product that will compete well. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it focuses as well as the D5 but not the D500. Seems odd that the D500 is reported to be better than the D5.
Don

#43 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, one has to take a lot of this with a grain of salt. Again, are we going to see it at the Olympic's? No, only if the photo has time, they got the money shots.

Is this the one be to get? No, you know there is upgrade coming. The real test is, is it really sport fast AF, with it aquire focus on a moving subject? Will it have the dynamic range?

And then the glass, is Sony going to make pro level glass? I know that you probably can get an adapter, but can you slap the Nikon 400/2.8 G VR II with the 1.4TC III on it and the VR work, can track focus? I don't think so.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#44 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

KR did a review of the a7RII with the adapters and found them rather awkward to use.

My hope is that the next round of DSLRs come with a decent way to incorporate some of the advantages that BP mentioned and still perform like hIgh end DSLRs do today.
Don

#45 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Touché that. Hopefully Nikon will come up with a product that will compete well. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it focuses as well as the D5 but not the D500. Seems odd that the D500 is reported to be better than the D5.

Being AP-C(S) the  AF spots cover more of the sensor and more tightly packed together so I could see where the D500 might have a slight advantage assuming that the AF systems are exactly the same.

Jim

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#46 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, one has to take a lot of this with a grain of salt. Again, are we going to see it at the Olympic's? No, only if the photo has time, they got the money shots.

Is this the one be to get? No, you know there is upgrade coming. The real test is, is it really sport fast AF, with it aquire focus on a moving subject? Will it have the dynamic range?

And then the glass, is Sony going to make pro level glass? I know that you probably can get an adapter, but can you slap the Nikon 400/2.8 G VR II with the 1.4TC III on it and the VR work, can track focus? I don't think so.

Well just the other day watching Tennis I saw 3 sports Photogs using what looked like the Sony A-9 of coarse taped up but there they were no other cameras just the Sony wearing a Sony bib.

Jim

#47 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I guess

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#48 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

Sony has a 70-200 2.8 and a 24-70 f2.8 not sure about 300, 400 and 500 lens though.

Jim

#49 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

Can you use their A mount on their E mount with an adapter. I know they have a 300 f2.8 for the A mount but it could be an old Minolta design.

Jim

#50 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

I wonder if that was a marketing setup paid for by Sony. That's what Canon did at one point. I'm certain they set this up. The ad had a photo of a press pit at a sporting event, and you'd see all these photogs with white Canon 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses and only a couple of black Nikon ones interspersed here and there. The caption was, "Now it's Canon."
Don

#51 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

I wonder if that was a marketing setup paid for by Sony. That's what Canon did at one point. I'm certain they set this up. The ad had a photo of a press pit at a sporting event, and you'd see all these photogs with white Canon 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses and only a couple of black Nikon ones interspersed here and there. The caption was, "Now it's Canon."

Oh I'm sure it was Sony is a marketing giant.

Jim

#52 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5313 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

I'll probably never be a friend of mirrorless Cams. I just need to look through the lens.
The many discussions about the "better camera systems" in the www are more fluid than superfluous.
Everyone as he likes - Live and let live.

In the end, only a picture is hanging on the wall and not even the best performance data.
The photographer does the picture - not the camera. The camera is just an instrument. But you all know that too. :)

On a completely different tack - have you any bokeh samples from your Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan, 100mm F2.8

#53 Jimmy

Jimmy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Family,
    Music & Photography

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

On a completely different tack - have you any bokeh samples from your Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan, 100mm F2.8

Not yet, but I'm working on it.
The light situation must be extremely correct and the sharp position at maximum aperture is not easy.
But I do not give up. One day I master this trioplan.
Some typical background-circles I have already got, but still not as I want it.

Nikon D750:     AI-s Nikkor, 28mm F2.8   /   AI-s Nikkor, 50mm F1.2   /   AI-s Nikkor 85mm F2   /   AI-s Nikkor, 105mm F2.5
                            Lensbaby Velvet, 56mm F1.6 (Macro 1:2)   /   Helios 44-2, 58mm F2   /   Petzval 58mm F1.9   /   Helios 40-2-N, 85mm F1.5 MC   /   Jupiter-9, 85mm F2
                            Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan, 100mm F2.8   /   Tair-11A, 135mm F2.8

#54 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5313 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Not yet, but I'm working on it.
The light situation must be extremely correct and the sharp position at maximum aperture is not easy.
But I do not give up. One day I master this trioplan.
Some typical background-circles I have already got, but still not as I want it.

If you have Lightroom/Photoshop crank up the Clarity then lift the shadows - brings out the circles brilliantly. 

PS. If you want to make focusing easy put it on a Mirrorless body  :P

Edited by Black Pearl, 01 May 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#55 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

See it at the OLYMPICS?

:lol:

I would say .... NO. ...

This week, they are hold Olympic trails, skiing up
At Copper mountain. It was 10f up there today. I was watching the local news covering the event. An this photog was using the Sony A9 with the 100-400 lens. They shot the guy a few times, so I got a good look at it. He was shooting the half pike. Dont know who he was or what the pic look like. But, Im asking around.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#56 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:32 AM

He's a sell out for money!  :P A soulless individual who went to the dark side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users