Photo

Posting images that are not yours on PlanetNikon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

I need to issue a statement of caution to our members. We are growing quickly and need to make sure that all understand a very important thing about image posting on PlanetNikon.

It is not acceptable to post an image on PlanetNikon that you do not own and have no permission (in writing) to post. Even though we are an "editorial" site, we still have to obey the rules of copyright law. If a user here posts a picture that they do not own, it opens PlanetNikon up for a lawsuit that is very hard and expensive to win. One fellow I read about posted an image that he did not own in a blog and was sued by the image owner for $60,000 USD.

It is getting rather easy to find images that are yours on the internet. Using free services like TinEye (http://www.tineye.com/) allows almost anyone to find images that are theirs on the web. As a stock photographer, I regularly run TinEye on my images to see who are using them. If I find an image being misused, I generally issue an invoice (based on FotoQuote) for the usage of the image. I'm a friendly fellow, so that's my reaction. Others are not so nice and do their best to sue you out of existence.

It is not acceptable to use images you do not own in a blog or on a forum without the written permission of the owners. Not even to illustrate an editorial point. Please spend a few minutes googling "Copyright Law" and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and learn how dangerous the practice is. If an image is used without permission and it is registered with the copyright office, the owner can sue for normal usage of the image (license) and add serious punitive damages up to thousands of dollars per infringement. If the image is not registered, then the owner is limited to billing for normal license usage.

Think about any posts you might have made here that have images you do not own. Please remove the images right away. Otherwise, you are opening PlanetNikon up to a serious lawsuit. Since the site is not incorporated I could lose my family home and other assets over a lawsuit. People are very litigious today, so don't take this notice lightly.

The Registration Terms & Rules we all had to agree to in order to use the site state this very well:

"You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board."

Thanks for everyone's cooperation!
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

FYI .... Here are the terms each agreed to when they signed up on PlanetNikon:

Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

All posts you make on this website are permanent, and become part of the history of this website. We make no claim to the copyright of any images you post, however you give us permission to permanently display these images on the website, and they become part of this website's history. We will not use any images posted in this website other than for display within this website. Basically, any text and/or images you post become a permanent part of this website. Please do not register with us if you do not agree to these terms.

We may change these rules at any time, without notice, and you agree that your continued use of this website signifies your agreement with all the terms stated in this agreement, even those added after you registered, and even though you were not notified of any changes.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users