• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Gundogs and fine doubles
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

My latest acquisition is a AFS 400 2.8D
When processing my first batch of photos, I noticed that all of them were a bit blurry. My buddy suggested using the calibration function of my D500. The auto cal didn't work so I Had to go to trial by combat.After nearly a day of shooting and adjusting I found it to work best at a setting of +20 which is the maximum setting. Is there a better way with this lens & camera. Can I send the combo in to Nikon for a lens and camera tune up & calibration???

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15350 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

If it is new, under warranty, then send it to Nikon to recalibrate. Otherwise, it will cost some bucks to do out of warranty. 

What manual methods did you try?

What I might do is, set a ruler about ten ft away (a few ft outside the closest focal distance), and turn it there. Then set the ruler 20 ft away and compare the results. You will need to shoot and then look at the image, like in LR, where you can zoom in. Use a tripod.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

+20???

Back to Nikon she goes!
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yeah kinda my thought also. Just needed confirmation that was what was needed

#5 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

Being stuck at home with the FLU I had some time to play with the lens a bit more. I discovered that the lens is much better suited to my D750 or at least it seems a bit more forgiving than my D500. There also is a learning curve for me and the Bazooka. I am so used to my Sigma 150-600 Contemp that I have to rethink my settings frequently.

On the D750 I am only at +7 on my calibration and I am really close. Also experimenting with different focus modes and layouts.

Now that I have a new $8.00 hood it even looks stylish

It really is a back breaker for hand held shots but I have learned a few tricks. I also just got a new gimbal mount for my tripod so I have that to test also.

I think I will be ok with the Crusher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users