On The Rocks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Too hot to be outside. Studio work. Attached File  ontherocks.jpg   354.42KB   0 downloads

#2 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

Great exposure Charles, I think the vignette also adds to the image and the colour pops as well

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#3 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Thanks, Gary. It took me a while to find a red back drop that I could afford. Apparently, red dye is hard to come by. Professional backdrop manufactures want and arm and a leg so, I found this red bath towel at a discount store.

#4 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

The colors are very pretty!
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15766 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Very nice, I can think of spiritual meaning? Joann has fabric on sale at times, some good pieces for back grounds.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks guys for the comments and tips on fabric. I am continuing on this basic set up. The light on the backward cross is to harsh/hard. I want to soften that up a bit among other things. I just bought another red towel so I will use it instead of the white foam core.

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Dead flowers in a vase that is damaged but painted with brightly coloured flowers makes for an interesting subject. I can envision a fascinating series of shots exploring the relationships, textures and juxtapositions they create. The inclusion of a cross is puzzling, the pearls even more so and the pile of stones completely separate to the main grouping is baffling. The vignette almost works though I feel it has too harsh a transition and the centre point should be lower as the pearls have lost their highlights. Its a shame you can see the prop that is holding the vase and if the table wasn't large enough to stop the shape being reflected I'd have been tempted to try and polarise it out. If you squint while viewing the image the background darkens making the subject pop a little more - the roses then look amazing against it.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21958 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

I like it, Charles, colours are nice. Bokeh and exposure are excellent. I have a very similar crucifix, I think it would have looked better the other way around (its the only nit I could find!).
Signature_Line_V4

#9 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

Thank you Art and all that took time to comment on this photo. The central theme of this still life is imperfection, broken, unrepairable both physically and emotionally. The unbroken or unimpaired elements are the rocks. Telling a story or eliciting emotion through a composed still life is much more difficult than I ever expected.

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21958 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

It is very difficult, Charles. I couldn't agree more. I have a friend who is a former pro, who had a real knack for it. Some of his stills were amazing. He would rummage around for things like old wooden window frames, kids wooden blocks and the like and piece together a masterpiece! You have to have real imagination and composition skills.

Unless you try it, you don't realize it is much harder than it looks!
Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users