• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

I was experimenting with some shots, medium, steady snowfall, using 1/250- 1/4000 shutter speeds and still can't capture the flakes correctly. Is there a typical shutter speed or do you need HSS or additional lighting? I'd rather not have the lighting show up in the photos as I'm going for the natural look.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

If you use flash you should be able to capture snow falling near the lens. We haven't had snow since 2009 and I wish we could get some for the photo opportunity.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

#3 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm looking for perfect stop motion with a deep DOF, rather than blurry flakes.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6170 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

If you use flash you should be able to capture snow falling near the lens. We haven't had snow since 2009 and I wish we could get some for the photo opportunity.

Bill, you're welcome to our snow.  Take all of it!  :lol:

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3200 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

I capture snow on the car if its out.

Actually, I have not had good luck taking photos of snowflakes. Getting DOF is very difficult for me.

Attached Files

Edited by fotofill, 08 January 2017 - 06:42 PM.

• Art likes this
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14336 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Blurry as in motion or burry out of focus.

I have not tried this, but if you're going for a scene, like s house in snowfall. Depending on size, they are going to be dots. No deatils like Phil above.

Let's go with the house. I probably use one of my older lens as your going to have to go manual. I would calaculate close focus to infinity. Set on a tripod with cable release. Set exposure and white balance. Then the only variable will be shutter speed. Snow falls at different speed. I set the camera at full stops if I have to increase shutter, less light, I would up the ISO by the same rate. I would probably set exposure to use 800 ISO. That would give me three stops to lower the speed.

That's how would start this experiment.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Blurry as in motion or burry out of focus.

I have not tried this, but if you're going for a scene, like s house in snowfall. Depending on size, they are going to be dots. No deatils like Phil above.

Let's go with the house. I probably use one of my older lens as your going to have to go manual. I would calaculate close focus to infinity. Set on a tripod with cable release. Set exposure and white balance. Then the only variable will be shutter speed. Snow falls at different speed. I set the camera at full stops if I have to increase shutter, less light, I would up the ISO by the same rate. I would probably set exposure to use 800 ISO. That would give me three stops to lower the speed.

That's how would start this experiment.

Thanks for the info, I think what makes it difficult is the snow close to you falls faster than the snow further away,relative to the lens anyway. So it would be difficult to get it all in focus. Not looking for detail, just a deep field of white dots.

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

I capture snow on the car if its out.

Actually, I have not had good luck taking photos of snowflakes. Getting DOF is very difficult for me.

Capture in a photo :)

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14336 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info, I think what makes it difficult is the snow close to you falls faster than the snow further away,relative to the lens anyway. So it would be difficult to get it all in focus. Not looking for detail, just a deep field of white dots.

Use a fan to blow the snow away from just in front of the lens. For example, the AI 50 1.8 E series lens, three feet to infinity will be in focus. Blow that close three feet away.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#10 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14336 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

Or an umbrella over the three feet

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users