Exploding the Myth of Focal Length and Perspective Compression

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeffbridge_*

Guest_Jeffbridge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:03 AM

No matter what term you use to describe the effect however, the idea that it's due to the focal length of your lens, it isn't entirely true.

#2 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4082 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

They leave out an important assumption -- that when changing focal length, you MOVE FORWARD OR BACKWARD TO MAKE YOUR SUBJECT THE SAME SIZE IN THE FRAME AS AT ALL THE OTHER FOCAL LENGTHS YOU SHOOT.

It's this that changes the apparent distance between BG and subject. The video touches on this.

Edited by justshootit, 28 July 2015 - 11:29 AM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#3 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves of sorts. How telephotos "flatten" people or wide angle is more 3d. Perspective is perspective regardless of lens. It's only the relationship between observer, object, and background. All the focal length of a lens does is crop the scene. That's why I like zooms, too. Once you find a great perspective you can crop in camera. It's also why I like primes, it forces me to
change perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users