9 replies to this topic

#1 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5339 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

One of the 'quirks' with the Fuji X-T1 is that some of them had an issue with the glue that holds the rubbers on meaning the camera peeled itself after a couple of years of use - you guessed it - mine peeled. On the flip side Fuji have acknowledged it is an issue and will happily replace them free of charge outside of the warranty period. I got mine back from the 'menders' early last week with lovely new skins, a clean sensor (it was filthy) and I think a fiddled with on/off switch which was very stiff after I dropped the camera on it a year or so ago so I've been out almost every day with it since. While it was away I borrowed a XT-10 from work and though I had great fun using another camera it rammed home why I chose to pay the extra for the T1 when I went with the X- System as there were a few little quirks that drove me mental. Why would you put the SD slot in with the battery and right next to the tripod mount meaning you have to take your QR plate off EVERY TIME you want to get at your images?!?!?!?

Anyhoo - if you're still wondering where the camels come into it then the shot below is of Camels Island just along the coast from me. There is a WWII pill box (or some such thing) set in the cliffs that is not only easily accessible but makes for a nice flat platform from which to shoot. The dog was with me so I was travelling light with just my Samyang 12mm on the camera and my super light Slik tripod which I picked up a few weeks ago. A 10 stop filter added a nice bit of blur to the super-wides drama.

59a290c6717f7_CamelBlur.jpg.0b83d38a6b7d

59a290c7e0687_CamelMono.jpg.2841debd9b12

As I often do when the camera is on a tripod and I'm waiting for long exposure to finish I got the iPhone out for some BTS action  :D

BTS.jpg.3be69b2c4dc134708d98979ad3d55c29

Note the grip I said I would never buy as it makes the camera larger - I went mirrorless to reduce size/weight - is on my camera and while I feel annoyed that I've succumbed it does feel lovely.

Scroll forward to this weekend and I was out again.

Now apparently there are two five o'clocks in the day - who knew - and if you drag yourself out of bed for the first one then drive an hour or so to some woods with your camera and a few nuts you get to shoot squirrels up close before the crowds arrive to scare them away. At first I was struggling with the lack of light with the Fuji bumping right up against its high iso performance limit but muddled on and having lay in the leaf litter for an hour managed to get close enough where my 55-200mm was more than long enough to fill the frame. 

She posed like this for a second or two at most so the shot was mostly good luck - super cute!!

59a3eb05d98eb_SquirrelPeek-a-Boo.jpg.9ba

These are taken with me lying on the ground a few feet from the tree stump and with the lens pulled back a fair way from its 200mm limit.

59a3eb073aa70_SquirrelStare.jpg.327f4300

59a3eb008d7b0_SquirrelAlert.jpg.f26d6895

I was shooting this squirrel from a crouched down eye level but noticed the bokeh balls from the light coming through the trees creeping into the top of the viewfinder. Lowering the camera to the ground and using the articulated screen to frame the shot meant I could get a different background and a shot I'm super happy with.

59a3eb0234a4d_SquirrelBokeh.jpg.e97a170b

Another location - a paid-to-enter butterfly enclosure thingy about an hours drive from us - and another test of the X-T1/50-200mm combo's ability to focus quickly. It was mad hot in the butterfly houses with 100%+ humidity which meant I had to wait a while for the lens to stop fogging up but once acclimatised it worked flawlessly. With it being so warm with loads of food the butterflies rarely stay still but the ids loved it and I got these.

59a44b2627746_RingTongue.jpg.f9644d335b8

59a44b236df19_ButterOne.jpg.7043083603de

Underwhite.jpg.bb453ee55c4290c6242b12314

...and one of Angela with her (tiny but amazingly good) IXUS 500 HS

Ang.jpg.e4d4aaade5aca83fea15956ac3554618

Just before I go.
One of the great features of the Fuji X bodies is there film simulations, its often a major factor in people buying the camera, and I do enjoy using them. This was taken using the Classic Chrome sim which gives an amazing slightly vintage feel to the shots and on certain subjects help 'make' the image. Its are also a good demonstration of why I love my 35mm f1.4 so much...

5999c2c0e7422_ThomasAbacus.jpg.0e8635356

BP

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20395 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

Lovely read.

That squirrel shot could be on the cover of any Nature Magazine, wonderful image. (the first one, where he is leaning).  Amazing capture.  

The image of Thomas is also really excellent.  I am surprised the beads on the abacus didn't affect your focus.  Butterfly images are superb as well.

Excellent!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14818 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

Beautiful series. Well done. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23105 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Fantastic series BP, plus I'm glad Fuji fixed up the XT1 to new condition.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6710 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

Very nice series, Robin.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6776 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:57 AM

Great series BP.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10109 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

Wonderful series and a great read... well done, Robin!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4910 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Great series BP!

[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5339 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated that you allow an ex Nikon user to stick around. 

The missus had friends over the other night, something I'm supposed to hang around for and apparently even participate in, but as luck would have it the sky got a bit of colour and as I was staring out of the window not answering questions I got permission to escape for half an hour...

59a5c717c3f3c_SouterSunset.jpg.3e4ddd338

Fuji X-T1 + Samyang 12mm + Hoya PROND1000

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6710 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

Robin, that was worth getting permission to escape, for.  I really like the colours in the sky.  :)

I bought the same ND filter about 2 weeks ago.  Still exploring with it. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users