• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Farming, horses, photography, golf, prowler (side-by-side) riding anytime of the year, helping my boyfriend restore cars and trucks, going to car shows and hanging out with our best friends.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've been playing with the idea of purchasing another lens and CP filters, but I don't want to go broke and I don't want cheap for fear of poor results. I guess what I'm asking is, can a person buy a refurbished lens that is good quality that won't break my pocket book and I know I want a CP filter, just not sure which brand is good and can they be purchased for around $50? I love doing this as a hobby, just want good quality results for printing. Input and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you! Christina
Imagination disposes of everything; it creates beauty, justice, and happiness, which is everything in this world. Pascal

Nikon D5200
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

#2 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi there, CP filters, You should pick up a Kenko CP for around that price, good filters You can save money on some good non Nikon lenses, just have a look at Arlon here and his amazing macro, admittedly, he has the skill which is a good camera attachment as well :) To get a a more informed answer about your next lens, I would suggest to state what focal length your looking at and what budget, ......Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21076 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Christina, What is your budget? What are you hoping to do with the lens you get? What size are you hoping to get? I have a few refurbished lenses from Nikon directly, purchased without fear or worry. I have had no issues ever. Refurbished does not mean damaged and repaired depending on what we are talking about. Most lenses purchased from Nikon simply have damaged boxes. Purchased from a store, well, then you may have other meanings. What do you have in mind?
Signature_Line_V4

#4 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Farming, horses, photography, golf, prowler (side-by-side) riding anytime of the year, helping my boyfriend restore cars and trucks, going to car shows and hanging out with our best friends.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi Gary, I will definitely check out the Kenko filters, sound just right for my budget. I want to get close to my subject (wildlife) without running them off or if there is a structure I can't walk too, but I have a clear shot visually, I would love to get that picture. I'm sorry my knowledge is limited. I'm not sure of focal lengths, because I haven't learned everything yet, I'm still learning all the definitions and terminology, sorry. My budget is around 300 to $400. I'm really interested in shooting landscapes and wildlife. Some macro photography. Where should I start looking for refurbished Nikon lenses? Thank you for all your replies...it's extremely helpful!
Imagination disposes of everything; it creates beauty, justice, and happiness, which is everything in this world. Pascal

Nikon D5200

#5 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hi Christina, Give us a list of your current lenses and camera body, that would be a good guide to suggest a future purchase, A lens for wildlife is always a big ask, I'm only shooting with an AFS 300 f4 and even with an extender, I'm still finding I need more "reach" not the type of lens you would use for shooting a grizzly, well not for long anyway :( Your cheapest option would be something from eBay, like the Nikon 70-300, I have seen some good shots with that lens but it would be a challenge to get keepers For the above lens, (make sure you get the VR model), eBay would meet your budget This will give you more reach for your budget but still not ideal wildlife lens, For macro work, you will also find good budget lenses, even Nikon! especially the manual focus, (all you need for macr IMHO ) The minimum recommended wildlife lens would be a Nikon 500 f4, even then, even with extenders, your arms will not be lon enough at times :) ....Gary

#6 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi Gary, The 500 f4...wowza!! Maybe my list of wishes is too big for my budget, especially for a hobby. Maybe I better stick to shooting animals in the yard...from the house...lol! :) I have a basic start up kit, I think, for beginners. Nikon D5200 AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED I have been leaning towards the 70-300, just didn't know about reach and image quality. Why would it be a challenge to get keepers? This question alone should tell you how LITTLE I know... :lol: Christina

Nikon D5200

#7 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi Gary,

The 500 f4...wowza!! Maybe my list of wishes is too big for my budget, especially for a hobby. Maybe I better stick to shooting animals in the yard...from the house...lol! :)

I have a basic start up kit, I think, for beginners.

Nikon D5200
and AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

I have been leaning towards the 70-300, just didn't know about reach and image quality.

Why would it be a challenge to get keepers? This question alone should tell you how LITTLE I know... :lol:

Christina

My husband bought me a Tamron 70-300 for Christmas. I haven't used it as much as I had hoped I would (yet anyway). The rain has been keeping me indoors. I did manage to get some hummingbird pics (sitting inside the house with an open window) but they aren't as sharp as I would like. Need way more light than I had available at that point. Will try again on a nice day... hopefully.
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#8 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

My husband bought me a Tamron 70-300 for Christmas. I haven't used it as much as I had hoped I would (yet anyway). The rain has been keeping me indoors. I did manage to get some hummingbird pics (sitting inside the house with an open window) but they aren't as sharp as I would like. Need way more light than I had available at that point. Will try again on a nice day... hopefully.

I took some pictures through our back door of our hummingbirds with my zoom lens on an overcast day...they aren't as sharp as I'd like or as close either. But, they're still neat to view. :)

Nikon D5200

#9 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Annie,

All the advice given on this forum is the best advice for what you say you want to do. Like myself, it is sometimes out of financial reach. However, I get information from these recommendations. For instance, you now know what it will take to get professional show quality wildlife shots. For me, I would buy the 70-300 or the newer 28-300. Each of these lenses is capable of doing what you want to do. With each of these make sure you have enough light, check your settings, like ISO, Apt. etc. Try and find that sweet spot for your camera and lens combo. Now my recommendation:

Nikon D800e

Nikon 800mm lens

The biggest and best tripod and head you can find

Train one of you children to carry all of it. You may need a waiver from Child Services.

I think a $15,000 loan from the credit union should cover it.

Good Shooting !

#10 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and advice. I need all I can get! :blink: I haven't checked out the new 28-300 lens...will have to do that soon. I could be biting off more than I can chew on my bologna budget :lol: wanting more reach and better image quality. I purchased a CPL filter earlier, just hope it's as good as the reviews. It's a Hoya 52mm multi-coated filter. I should focus on what I can afford and learn to use what I have, and practice, practice, practice or shoot, shoot, shoot!! Thank you Chaswes5!! And everyone!

Nikon D5200

#11 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Enjoy and do the best you can. Your plan is sound.

#12 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

[quote name='aoakley89' timestamp='1372359467' post='137630']
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and advice. I need all I can get! :blink:

I haven't checked out the new 28-300 lens...will have to do that soon. I could be biting off more than I can chew on my bologna budget :lol: wanting more reach and better image quality.

I purchased a CPL filter earlier, just hope it's as good as the reviews. It's a Hoya 52mm multi-coated filter.

I should focus on what I can afford and learn to use what I have, and practice, practice, practice or shoot, shoot, shoot!!

Thank you Chaswes5!! And everyone!
All Hoya filters are good!
Don't worry, I haven't got a 500 f4 either :) , would like one though
What camera and lenses do you have right now?
....Gary

#13 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi Gary, Right now this is what's in my bag...for a beginner! :) I have a basic start up kit, I think. Nikon D5200 AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED I'd like to get another zoom lens with a little more reach, just don't want to go broke. I saved for about year so I could pay cash for my kit, will have to save a few more months for another lens...lol! Christina

Nikon D5200

#14 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1873 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Christina...you have a very nice setup right now. I would continue using what you have and with more time and experience you will know exactly which lenses you want to upgrade to. :D
Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#15 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi Gary,

Right now this is what's in my bag...for a beginner! :)

I have a basic start up kit, I think.

Nikon D5200
and AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

I'd like to get another zoom lens with a little more reach, just don't want to go broke. I saved for about year so I could pay cash for my kit, will have to save a few more months for another lens...lol!

Christina

Hi Chistina,
You have a great kit there already,
A whole bunch of good pixels which even work well at high ISO
IMHO, I would be looking at other accessories first,
Decent flash and a good support system
There are amazing photographers on PN including working professionals who are very helpful

For your reach requirements,
I would suggest an Nikon AF-S 300 f4 and attach a Nikkor 1.4 Teleconverter, (Sigma and Tamron also produce lenses for Nikons in that range)

That would be your best start for reach and then you have the equipment to get those great images that are further out

As always, with longer focal lengths, shooting discipline has to be paramount, movement and vibrations will soon ruin a good image,
This is where a good tripod is a start,
You might as well buy a good tripod straight up, a cheap tripod for long lens work is not going to cut it

Lastly,
In general, zoom lenses do not perform as well as prime lenses,
There are a few exceptions here, like,
Nikkor 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200
Start saving :D

#16 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Winclk, thank you and you are right, that's what I need to do, become more familiar with my equipment. I did that over the weekend, just shot anything and everything, didn't really matter what it was either. I'm trying to learn the settings and what affects my image. Gary, those are some nice lenses...I would have to save about two years, but it would be worth the wait I'm sure. I definitely know I need a good tri-pod, I've used Bogen in the past and they've been pretty good. And you are right, there are some really GREAT photographers in this forum...wow! I feel WAAAY out of my league for even being here. Ok, I'm going to ask...what does IMHO mean? It's ok to giggle! :D

Edited by aoakley89, 01 July 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Nikon D5200

#17 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7141 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Annie,

All the advice given on this forum is the best advice for what you say you want to do. Like myself, it is sometimes out of financial reach. However, I get information from these recommendations. For instance, you now know what it will take to get professional show quality wildlife shots. For me, I would buy the 70-300 or the newer 28-300. Each of these lenses is capable of doing what you want to do. With each of these make sure you have enough light, check your settings, like ISO, Apt. etc. Try and find that sweet spot for your camera and lens combo. Now my recommendation:

Nikon D800e

Nikon 800mm lens

The biggest and best tripod and head you can find

Train one of you children to carry all of it. You may need a waiver from Child Services.

I think a $15,000 loan from the credit union should cover it.

Good Shooting !

Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Good humour is always appreciated, Charles. Posted Image

Christina, IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

It sounds like you have a good basic kit. What you acquire in the future will depend on the type of photography that you like to do. As examples, landscape photographers will eventually want to acquire a super wide angle lens. At the other end, bird photographers will want the biggest and fastest lens that they can find. Flower photographers may want what is called a macro lens.

My advice would be to relax, take lots of images and talk to lots of folks (PN is a good place for that! Posted Image). As you go along, you'll get a better idea of the images that you like; and the equipment that you will need to do well at it. Posted Image
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#18 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thank you sailjunkie! That is exactly what I'm going to do...I do know my budget and while it is a little low, I'm extremely pleased with my new equipment. And the more shooting I do, the more I learn...which is always a good thing! :-) Thanks again!!

Nikon D5200

#19 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

New question??? Are filter pouches worth buying or should they be kept in the original case? What gimmick products for photography should I steer clear of buying...if there is such a thing. :-)

Nikon D5200

#20 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15199 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Depends. When I did a lot of hiking, and all my gear was in my pack, space was always an issue. I would carry few filters; polarizer (pol) and warming. I then got a warm/pol filter which removed the need to carry warming filters. And got a few graduated neutral density (ND) filters. I kept them in their case as the consolidated cases took up more space. I could always stuff a filter here and their in it's own case. Now, I'm switching the ND grads for several stop ND filter. I can get the same affects of a warming filter by using cloudy white balance, while shooting or later in post. I now have a jeep, and a bad back. So I will be getting a pelican case to store all my gear, which can be chained/bolted to the jeep. And a smaller back pack. I can drive 95% to where I need to go, and just take what I need for the last bit. Even if I need to make a few trips.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#21 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thank you Dennis. I will have to check in to the warming pol filter. Can I clean the pol filters the same way I clean my lens or should it be cleaned with something different?

Nikon D5200

#22 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15199 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thank you Dennis. I will have to check in to the warming pol filter. Can I clean the pol filters the same way I clean my lens or should it be cleaned with something different?

I don't know if they make them anymore, since digital. Yes, you can clean filters the same as lenses.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users