• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

This was taken with the D50 in 2008 when l went to Chickasha Oklahoma to see the Christmas lights. l used a flash with a slow shutter speed to expose the lights in the background. Some photographers say it's better to use natural light and avoid flash if possible. l don't have a no flash picture of this to compare it to. But l think if l was able to bump the ISO way up and not use flash it would not have looked as good. What do you think?

Attached Files

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22202 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

In this situation, flash.  You got a nice picture out of it.

I am impressed there are no shadows, however.  How did you manage that?

Signature_Line_V4

#3 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:56 PM

I am impressed there are no shadows, however.  How did you manage that?

Flash was mounted directly to the camera and l was a good distance away from the horses. FL was 65mm, so l was probably at least 50 feet away.

Edited by LightMeter, 02 December 2019 - 09:03 PM.

• Art likes this

Bill

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7591 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:41 AM

Excellent result Bill.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8073 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

But l think if l was able to bump the ISO way up and not use flash it would not have looked as good. What do you think?

Bill, you're right.   You would have had a LOT of noise in that scenario.  A lower shutter speed might have been an alternative scenario, but it would have been very blurry.  I would have also chosen flash.

Job well done, sir!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

It looks just fine. You gotta us flash on Christmas parades. I just set camera at about 800 ISO and turn the flash down to 1/25th power and go at it. If they all look as good as this, I am happy. (I do not like shooting parades day or night) One of my parades I stand with my back to a gas station and use their lights to fill in the street.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

The only thingg about using flash that l didn't like about this photo is it lit the pavement up more than what l wanted.

Bill

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8073 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

The only thingg about using flash that l didn't like about this photo is it lit the pavement up more than what l wanted.

I don't think you had very much choice.  The point of view (specifically, the angle) is what really makes that composition work.  Lighting the pavement is the price to pay for that angle.

You could try darkening the pavement in PP, with a localized adjustment.  If you're using PS Elements it's quite straightforward.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users