• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4365 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to do a real-estate shoot this Saturday for a 4000 sq ft home.  It has a lot of high, vaulted ceilings.  I have 5 speedlights total and a bracket setup that allows 4 of them to be ganged inside an umbrella.  The 5th is an SB16 with the F3 flash foot, so it's not so easy to mount in the umbrella.  All the walls and ceilings are white.  Will this be enough to even out the light in the rooms?

Thanks in advance.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15833 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

My first thought is to place two unfiltered umbrellas (one speedlight each) at full power pointed at the ceiling angled to bounce toward the subject. I'm thinking your not going to try to shoot the entire room in one shot? Like half a living room for example. I'm thinking that your not going to be able to gang the speedlights for a large vaulted room, you will get shadows if the light is just located in one spot. I have the PB lights, and I would have one or two bare bulb setups to flood the room to blend the lights between the normal living room lamps and the strobe. I guess it depends on how large the room is. In a bedroom, even with vaulted ceilings, it would not be to hard, as a large living room, you have better bounce in a smaller space. It's hard to advise without looking at the room. I don't think you will be able to gang the lights, but will need to place them around. Are you going to shoot at night or day time? How well does daylight, light the room? That sort of stuff.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4365 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:20 AM

Well, the agent called me yesterday and moved the shoot up to last night.  I delivered the first round of images tonight.  We will take more on Saturday.

I have ganged three lights into one umbrella before and it worked well, so that's what I'm gonna have Saturday.  Wish me luck.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#4 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4365 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:01 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing Einstein's because of the color consistency of +/- 50K. Also thinking of the Indra because of the HSS and the compatibility with my Odin triggers. But I think I'll be okay with the speedlights for Saturday.
Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users