#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7241 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

I have a fair amount of respect for the Nikon Rumours web site, so I don't mind posting this.

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-122892

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7027 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Very interesting Mark.... I'm waiting.. :rolleyes:

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21240 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

Very nice, impressive so far.

Wait and see.  At that price, I am not interested at the moment.  

I might pick up a lightly used V3 if one becomes available.  I am sure people will be dumping theirs when this new stuff comes out.

Thanks, Mark!

Signature_Line_V4

#4 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to compete with the popular Fuji's in the $400-$600 range.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Nikon Rumours was busy yesterday.  No sooner had I posted the first link, than he is out with more details on the specs.  :)

https://nikonrumors....s-cameras.aspx/

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

"

• The 45MP model will be around $4,000/€4,000 in a kit with the 24-70mm lens.
  • The 25MP model will be under $3,000/€3,000 (also with a lens)"

Well out of the range of intermediate photographers. Maybe because they target less than 5% of the users with newer technology could be one of the reasons their sales are down.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

Oh thats not good Fuji's top of the line HT-1 is only $1800 and the Xpro2 is only 1700$ better yet the still pro level XT-2 is only 1600$. That is a real price bummer but maybe since this is only a rumor it will be no where near that I remember some speculation that the D850 was going to be north of $4000 and it came in at $3200.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Reading the first link they have 2000-3000 so basically no one knows and Nikon when it wants to can keep a lid on things better than any company I know.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Wait and see. I know a few that are preparing to sell their entire DSLR for this, including D850s.

If its a hit, and too expensive. There will be good stuff to be had.

If its reasonable, then you would have choices.

If it comes really good, might make a nice small/hiking camera.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

The rumored price is not that bad for a new camera and lens.  If you took a D850 and added a $750 lens, you're at $4000.  The D750 plus the same $750 lens puts you around $3000.  It would be especially interesting if they included the lens adapter or made that an optional accessory in the $350 range.

The big question is whether these proposed cameras point to the end of the DSLR line.  I'd expect to see the current cameras for a few more years due to the AF performance, but wonder if a D750 replacement is covered by the new mirrorless model.

The rumor about "features never before seen on a mirrorless camera) is interesting.  There are a lot of interesting mirrorless features that take advantage of the new design.  Software is going to be very important.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

The rumor about "features never before seen on a mirrorless camera) is interesting.  There are a lot of interesting mirrorless features that take advantage of the new design.  Software is going to be very important.

I think software will be a major point. The target group is not really the DSLR folks with large investment in lenses, I think this is an important point for the pro's still on DSLRs, but still not the main target. The younger photographers, the new up and coming; the next gen will want (demand?) software and connections to be state of the art. D850 and, what is that other thing call, oh yap sapbridge, really is a dog. I got it to work a few times. I need to try the newer version. Not expecting anything different than what Nikon has been doing with software.

The next gen won't put up with poop in the software. Fuji adds functions, while we have only one update to the d850?

sapbridge.... LOL 

view and NX what?

If sony wants to kill off Nikon, all they have to do is follow Fuji, if they add firmware updates that add function, they don't don't have to worry about Nikon premium choice devices.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

I think software will be a major point. The target group is not really the DSLR folks with large investment in lenses, I think this is an important point for the pro's still on DSLRs, but still not the main target. The younger photographers, the new up and coming; the next gen will want (demand?) software and connections to be state of the art. D850 and, what is that other thing call, oh yap sapbridge, really is a dog. I got it to work a few times. I need to try the newer version. Not expecting anything different than what Nikon has been doing with software.

The next gen won't put up with crap in the software. Fuji adds functions, while we have only one update to the d850?

sapbridge.... LOL 

view and NX what?

If sony wants to kill off Nikon, all they have to do is follow Fuji, if they add firmware updates that add function, they don't don't have to worry about Nikon premium choice devices.

Fuji will not only update but they will add functions, my X-E2 was updated with all the new functions of the X-E2s and the X-T2 and XPro2 got most of the updates for the X-H1. Heck my 4 year old X-E2 is still getting firmware updates for improved performance.

Now if they include an adapter for the F mount that will go a long way to get F mount users to buy it.

Interesting point Eric that Nikon may move the high end  consumer FX cameras like the D610 and D750 to the Mirrorless camp leaving the DSLR's to the pro level. But what of the entry level DX DSLRs?

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Interesting point Eric that Nikon may move the high end  consumer FX cameras like the D610 and D750 to the Mirrorless camp leaving the DSLR's to the pro level. But what of the entry level DX DSLRs?

If Nikon successfully launches a mirrorless camera, at some point they will have to consider the needs of entry-level users, no?  They ignore them at their peril.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

If Nikon successfully launches a mirrorless camera, at some point they will have to consider the needs of entry-level users, no?  They ignore them at their peril.  <_<

So far the rumors and yes they are rumors for a reason that they will range from 2500 to 5000 in price range so none of the initial offerings are entry level yet again this is all speculation we all know Nikon can keep things under wrap when they want to so they may have a surprise for everyone.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

An official announcement

https://www.nikonusa...2KmAAK#featured

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7027 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

Getting closer ... :rolleyes: :wub:

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21240 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

My thoughts, exactly.

Nikon will solidly place itself back in the FRONT OF THE PACK.
Signature_Line_V4

#18 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3389 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

https://www.nikonusa...erformance.html

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#19 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

The Nikon announcement in Phil's link mentioned that F-mount adaptors would also be available.  While the devil is always in the details, that is smart thinking on Nikon's part.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

This is Nikon saying hey don't go to Sony FX Mirrorless just yet we are coming. 

Deep down I think Nikon is going win this FX Mirrorless war with Sony in the end and I wonder what Canon is going to do their APS mirrorless is not a huge success but since they already have a large mount in the EOS will they make a mirrorless FX system based on the EOS mount.

Very interesting stuff very interesting. The digital market is vibrant in the age of cell phones that take great photos the industry has pivoted again. Fuji is making camera and glass that are affordable yet top of the line  with a  premium feel and retro look with metal dials and direct input making them a true photographic tool that feels like old school cameras. Plus Fuji's true strength is they are making firmware updates that retro fit older models with the new features of the newest Fuji offerings.

Nikon is making what I consider the top three DSLR ever made the D500, D850 and D5, yes they are traditional in every sense but they are bringing it even Canon has to be shaking their heads on the last 2 years or is it three of Nikon DSLRs, add the fact that Nikon glass compete with Canon and Sony in every field and leads in many areas. Lets not forget for years Nikon's Coolpix lineup was laughed at by Sony, Canon and the like as not reverent well lets see the P900 sold and is still selling like hot cakes and now the P1000 is announced and everyones jaw just dropped and I mean dropped they will not be able to keep this bad boy in stock.

One thing I did see from Canon is they are making a speed light that evaluates the room and lighting and with an internal motor sets the flash in the best swivel/bounce mode for the photo to be taken it looks very cool.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

The above is a ramble of thoughts sorry not the most coherent posting  in my mind it sounded better.  :blink:  ;)

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#22 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1897 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Don't worry, Jim...You're allowed a rant or two... :D

I can't wait to see how the Nikon stacks up myself...

But my thought is don't count the cell phone cameras out just yet...I think they are going to get better so that they can stay in the game...the cell phone is always with you...My .02 donation for today... :D

Edited by winclk, 26 July 2018 - 06:11 AM.

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#23 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

No worries, Jim.  You make some very good points.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#24 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Nikon Rumours is confirming that the new camera will be announced on August 23rd.  Happy Birthday, Dennis!  :)

https://nikonrumors....gust-23rd.aspx/

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#25 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21240 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:39 AM

Looks like a full frame sensor!!

Very exciting news ....

Signature_Line_V4

#26 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21240 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:43 AM

Ramble on, Jim....

I think Nikon will take a firm leap forward in a month and may not relinquish for a few years to come.  They are clearly in the drivers seat.

I am sure, this camera will also be a category killer, just like the D850.

Signature_Line_V4

#27 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

They are really making it a big deal. A live stream from Tokyo;

http://view.mcd.niko...05f9a1ee6eaddbe

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#28 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

I merged all the mirrorless information/topics into this one thread. and pinned in here. we can now add anything we find as time goes on. Or, until someone actually gets one.  B)

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#29 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15293 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

and for Friday humor. what Ken said.

https://www.kenrockw...rless/index.htm

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#30 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23590 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

and for Friday humor. what Ken said.

https://www.kenrockw...rless/index.htm

Hmm Ken being Ken, enough said.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users