86 replies to this topic

#61 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

The buildup seems like waiting for Christmas - with a changing date.

The funny thing is I've been on hold and not making any camera gear purchases while I wait for the formal announcement and availability.  I've been ready to buy it for a year - sight unseen and without specs.  But I don't have a compelling need for any lens upgrades, and the D850 lines up perfectly with my needs.  I expect there will be some accessories that hit my wish list.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#62 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

Eric, if I hadn't bought the D810 two years ago, I would be right there with you.  However, I'm focusing on glass and lighting stuff at this time.  The D810 still works for me.  Funny, when the time came to upgrade from the D80, somehow, I just realized it.  I'm pretty sure that will eventually happen, but not for some time.

Art and Jim, I share your hopes for a smooth roll-out.  Nikon has raised expectations so high that any small glitch could result in an epic marketing nightmare.  :unsure:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#63 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'm still anticipating the D850 as well but I'm really not sure I'll buy it now. It may just be too much camera for my available time. I need a rich benefactor. Any volunteers?

#64 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4082 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'll second the rich benefactor and raise you a $500,000,000 Powerball ticket LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D

Seriously, I have to start making come cash with my D610 and D1X before I can even think of buying a new camera.  <_<

Edited by justshootit, 19 August 2017 - 06:57 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#65 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm still anticipating the D850 as well but I'm really not sure I'll buy it now. It may just be too much camera for my available time. 

That's a very different, and very valid way, of looking at it.  I won't bore everyone with the details, but I've had some experiences that bear this out.  It just led to frustration and resentment.  You'll know when the time is right.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#66 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. It's why on the nikonian boards I was "famous" for buying the 200-400 a couple of times. My eyes are sometimes bigger than my time/opportunities. I may wait to see what happens after the D850 comes out. Maybe snag an even cheaper D750 or D810.

#67 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

How many times have we heard this?

https://nikonrumors....-36-hours.aspx/

Any bets on whether or not this is the real thing?  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#68 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19598 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

How many times have we heard this?

https://nikonrumors....-36-hours.aspx/

Any bets on whether or not this is the real thing?  :)

I believe ... REAL THING.

Why?

The 100th Anniversary NPS event is Sept 7.  I believe, this kicks off the 100 image thing they did across Canada.  I believe they will showcase new cameras there as well.  It is a gathering of Pro's and this is a pro level camera.  It would be a completely squandered opportunity if it wasn't timed to coincide with this.

My money is on NIKON to deliver! 

GO TEAM NIKON!!

:D Cheering Section! :D

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#69 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

It's going to happen. With the Nikon events already out there it's time to do it. It kind of matches the timeline from D5 (or was it D4?) development to announcement.

#70 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

New LEAKED press release:

https://nikonrumors....se-leaked.aspx/

#71 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Yep. All the details revealed except price.

#72 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Do I hear .... 1 Kidney and part of your liver?

#73 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

Do I hear .... 1 Kidney and part of your liver?

That might be on the low side.   :angry:

Check out the latest from Nikon Rumours.

https://nikonrumors....t-earlier.aspx/

I will DEFINITELY be keeping the D810.  

Edited by Sailjunkie, 23 August 2017 - 03:28 PM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#74 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22579 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

The leaked US price was taken down but it was leaked at $3300 if so that is the sweet spot they will sell a lot of D850! But the EU price is high and it converts to $4300 or around there in the US and not even sure who's price the 5300$ in the paper ad is that is very high( just read it again its Australia).

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#75 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

$3300 US is a good price!!

Very excited if it is accurate!

Huge anticipation out there. Price right, they will sell tons of these.

#76 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

https://nikonrumors....e-3296-95.aspx/

It's OFFICIAL!!!

AMAZING US price ....

Canada ..... BEND OVER .... $4400 CDN!

#77 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22579 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

Wow Nikon at least in the USA came in under the D5mk something with a far superior camera and it will beat the Sony A9 also. Got to give it to Nikon at least as far as US buyers go they are being very aggresive with what might be the best DSLR on the planet. 

Alas it is still out of my reach but I am glad to see Nikon not get crazy with it.

Art would it be worth a trip to NYC and buy one here. If you need service you could drive across the boarder and mail it to Nikon USA in Melville NY.

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#78 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22579 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Oh my the D850 with the ES2 Film Digitizer it can scan film and it can convert negatives to positives. Well got to give it to Nikon the D850 from the reviews I have watched and its aggressive pricing in the USA and that the battery grip is not 600$  still pricey at 399$ but lower than I expected, they have absolutely fired the shot heard around the world.

Most know I am moving slowly to Fuji because of price and size and image quality, but this camera is a beast no doubt the best DSLR on the planet.

Jim

• Art likes this

#79 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Wow Nikon at least in the USA came in under the D5mk something with a far superior camera and it will beat the Sony A9 also. Got to give it to Nikon at least as far as US buyers go they are being very aggresive with what might be the best DSLR on the planet. 

Alas it is still out of my reach but I am glad to see Nikon not get crazy with it.

Art would it be worth a trip to NYC and buy one here. If you need service you could drive across the boarder and mail it to Nikon USA in Melville NY.

Jim

Jim,

At the current state of the dollar, $4266 is the price with a direct exchange.  Nikon Canada lists it for $4400.  $134 difference plus the tax.  $151 all said and done.  Not worth the trouble.

Where I might save would be to buy and have it shipped in the USA where there is no tax applied to the sale.  Then, I would have to figure how to get it here without paying the tax.

$4,400 really translates to: $4972 at my door!

$4972 - $4266 = $706!  That would be worth doing.

OR

Get a refurb from Nikon Canada.

Ball Park, if and when on is available ... $3132.36 at the door, give or take.  

May wait for that.

But, I am IN, which ever way I go.

The referb would have one less year of warranty, no big deal.  And, maybe ... 1000 clicks, which is also no big deal.

My worry is QUALITY CONTROL.  Herman made me think about his.  

I may wait a couple of months to see how it shakes out.  There will be a waiting list initially, just like the D800.  Whether it goes 3-4 months or less is yet to be seen.  Tons of chatter about the D850.  I will look at Craigslist to see how many photogs dump their D8XX's for this.  I suspect there will be a huge dumping, price drops and.... if so, this translates into long waiting lists.  Also, to add to the wait, Europe will get their inventory first, followed by the USA and Canada last. 

This camera is exactly what I expect from NIKON.  I see absolutely NOTHING negative on paper, in regards to what they have done.  They LISTENED to their customers, FINALLY!!!

GO TEAM NIKON!!

:D

#80 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

Jim,

I am too heavily committed in glass to consider any moves.

And, I am really, extremely satisfied with my D800 and all the glass I have.  Nikon the company, or my gear have not disappointed me in any way.

Forget the griping in regards to what they "shoulda, coulda or wouldn'ta" do or have done.... as a customer, I am extremely pleased with my investment.

I am not happy about having to donate a kidney to buy this stuff, but the quality of the images I produce are to my satisfaction. If only my skills were on the same level as my gear!

#81 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

I had my order placed at 7:00 AM this morning.  It's exactly what I was looking for and more.

My D800E cost about the same amount so I am very pleased with the price.

My D500 seems largely redundant - especially if I get the new grip and battery.  A DX crop of the D850 is the same as the D500 and just loses one FPS.  The D850 has the silent mode and a 30 fps high speed mode that are very attractive.  

There are a lot of nice features in this camera - largely discussed above.

The battery grip is $399, but you'll need to add the EN-EL18b battery costing $140 and the MH-26 battery charger for $370.  By the time you're done, it's a $900 investment.  And if you want two batteries (the charger is a dual charger) you are at $1050 plus tax.  That's about the value of my used D500 or D800E.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#82 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22579 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

I had my order placed at 7:00 AM this morning.  It's exactly what I was looking for and more.

My D800E cost about the same amount so I am very pleased with the price.

My D500 seems largely redundant - especially if I get the new grip and battery.  A DX crop of the D850 is the same as the D500 and just loses one FPS.  The D850 has the silent mode and a 30 fps high speed mode that are very attractive.  

There are a lot of nice features in this camera - largely discussed above.

The battery grip is $399, but you'll need to add the EN-EL18b battery costing $140 and the MH-26 battery charger for $370.  By the time you're done, it's a $900 investment.  And if you want two batteries (the charger is a dual charger) you are at $1050 plus tax.  That's about the value of my used D500 or D800E.

The D500 appeals to those who want a slightly smaller body/lens combo and the speed at a much lower price, the D500 is fast and is $1300 less.

Jim

#83 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22579 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Jim,

I am too heavily committed in glass to consider any moves.

And, I am really, extremely satisfied with my D800 and all the glass I have.  Nikon the company, or my gear have not disappointed me in any way.

Forget the griping in regards to what they "shoulda, coulda or wouldn'ta" do or have done.... as a customer, I am extremely pleased with my investment.

I am not happy about having to donate a kidney to buy this stuff, but the quality of the images I produce are to my satisfaction. If only my skills were on the same level as my gear!

I understand you not switching Art your style of shooting and your investment is huge, but Nikon has totally priced me out. But that is my financial situation for me my budget is usually less than $500 a year so it would take me two years for most Nikon lens never mind a new body.  This year I spent just over $575 and I got the XM1 with a very good  lens new and a used X100s,  2  flash units and a nice Neewer 35 f1.7 lens. Next year I hope to add a few more primes and save for the XPro2.

As far a disappointment Nikon really hosed me with the Nikon One system I had a fair investment in it then they just dumped it so I moved on.    I can get Fuji's flagship for half the price of the D850 and Fuji's glass is just as good and a fair amount cheaper except if you are a wildlife shooter or sports guy, Fuji does not have the lens lineup yet for that type of shooting and they may never have the lens lineup. Fuji is a street/landscape/event photographers camera. 

All that said for me its price and value I can no longer afford Nikon. If I won the lottery you bet your last dollar I would get a D850 but Fuji is so much fun I would most likely have both in my bag and maybe even the new Fuji MF GFX and a Nikon D500 I would have a system for each day of the week! :P

Jim

#84 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Where I might save would be to buy and have it shipped in the USA where there is no tax applied to the sale.  Then, I would have to figure how to get it here without paying the tax.

I'll be happy to have your D850 shipped to me.  Shipping from B&H is free and they don't charge sales tax on items to Michigan.  I'd even test it for you. . :lol:

We could meet in the Detroit/Windsor area to transfer it to you

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#85 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

I understand you not switching Art your style of shooting and your investment is huge, but Nikon has totally priced me out. But that is my financial situation for me my budget is usually less than $500 a year so it would take me two years for most Nikon lens never mind a new body.  This year I spent just over $575 and I got the XM1 with a very good  lens new and a used X100s,  2  flash units and a nice Neewer 35 f1.7 lens. Next year I hope to add a few more primes and save for the XPro2.

As far a disappointment Nikon really hosed me with the Nikon One system I had a fair investment in it then they just dumped it so I moved on.    I can get Fuji's flagship for half the price of the D850 and Fuji's glass is just as good and a fair amount cheaper except if you are a wildlife shooter or sports guy, Fuji does not have the lens lineup yet for that type of shooting and they may never have the lens lineup. Fuji is a street/landscape/event photographers camera. 

All that said for me its price and value I can no longer afford Nikon. If I won the lottery you bet your last dollar I would get a D850 but Fuji is so much fun I would most likely have both in my bag and maybe even the new Fuji MF GFX and a Nikon D500 I would have a system for each day of the week! :P

Jim

I hear you, Jim. A SYSTEM a day would be nice!!  :lol:

Need to win that Powerball Lottery!

In for a penny, in for a pound! I see some of the members have placed their orders.  I will order as well, but not today.  I may hold out for the referb department to get one, the difference in money sits much better in my pocket.

Or, I will test drive one somewhere and my, "gotta have it now, NAS" may overwhelm all logic! We'll see.

#86 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19598 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

I'll be happy to have your D850 shipped to me.  Shipping from B&H is free and they don't charge sales tax on items to Michigan.  I'd even test it for you. . :lol:

We could meet in the Detroit/Windsor area to transfer it to you

Thanks for the offer, Gary, you're a stand up kinda guy.

I especially like that you would test it for me!!  :P

#87 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6173 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

Jim

As good as the D850 appears to be, quotes like Jim's should make Nikon execs nervous.  I don't think that he's the only one like this.  <_<

As fro me, I won't be buying a D850 in the near or medium term.  While the D850 is living up to expectations and that is good, I only bought the D810 two years ago, and I still love it to bits.  Further, like Art, I'm also looking at glass; and also more lighting stuff.  

But here's to Nikon getting it right.  If the price needs to be tweaked, than can happen, but you have to have a good product in the first place.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users