Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hot off the presses.

http://www.dslrbodie...era-review.html

This wouldn't stop me from buying a D500 if I was looking.  Angela, on the other hand, would!  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 jdroach

jdroach

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Photography (Landscape, Flower, Architecture, Cityscapes and Fine Art), Travel, History, Richmond Symphony Orchestra, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Coalition of Photographic Arts in Milwaukee, Various Local Camera Groups, Wisconsin Area Camera Club Organization, Nikonians.org, BetterPhoto.com, Menominee Falls Camera Club, Classical and Classic Rock Music and a host of other things.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

I read Tom Hogan's review and sort of thought twice.  However, I had owned a D7000, then a D700 and D600 and then I got the D800 followed by the D750 by trading in the D7000, D700 and D600.  But, at the end of the day, I like the ergonomics and expanded controls of the D700, D800 type of camera and while the D750 was nice, I was less enchanted with the unit overall.  So, I got the D500 fortunately in a Black Friday deal that I couldn't ignore that included the 16-80mm lens and a no cost addition of the Battery Grip.  I am delighted.  If I had bought the D7200, I wouldn't have saved what I did and I would not have the control options offered by the D500.  Oh!  By the way, I also got the 200-500mm f5.6 lens.  2017 will be about going back to nature chasing critters with this long lens combo as well as some nice landscape work...the D500 will be my new backup in the field and sometime primary working with the D800.  I wonder what will happen to the D750, since my travel camera is the Df or one of my Fuji cameras.

jdroach

http://www.flickr.co...tos/jdroach2009

http://www.jdroachphotography.com

http://blog.jdroachphotography.com

Nikon Cameras Include D90 IR 590nm, D500, D750, D800, P7000, A, FM2, EM
Fuji X Series Cameras include, X10, X100, X-E1, X-T1, X-Pro2

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

I read his review and was put off a bit 4 paragraph sentences in.....

"The question on everyone’s mind for the last few years was “what happened to the D400?” Such a camera was anticipated for 2011, but never appeared."

The QUESTION on WHOSE mind, Tom?

WHO CARES what happened to the D400. Earth quakes, sun spots .... it is all in the past and long forgotten.  Why bother digging this old grave up again?

The D500 has better specs and is virtually what the D400 was supposed to be.  So, Nikon named it the D500 to match up for marketing purposes with the D5.  Why does ANYONE EVEN CARE ANY MORE!

I have played with a friends D500, it is breathtaking.  A very, very nice camera.  Too bad it is DX as I am never going back to that format, otherwise, I think I would have purchased one without hesitation.

Thanks for the link, Mark, it was still an excellent read.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

I've had the D500 since the initial release.  My D800E remains my primary camera, but suffers with action.  The D500 is a terrific action camera and a great compliment to a D800/D810.  I've been able to get a number of images using the D500 that would be very unlikely with my D800E.  The AF system of the D800E was okay, but not as good as the D810 - and the D500 is much better than any of the earlier cameras when it comes to AF performance.

The D500 nicely fits the market for a pro-sumer camera.  It's a performance camera.  Sure - I'd prefer an FX version of this camera, but the D5 is a bit pricey for a special use camera.

When it comes to general use, the lack of flash and higher price point toward a D7200 or D750.  Both of these are excellent cameras and perform well when you don't need fast frame rate or high performance AF.  I bought a refurbished D7200 for my wife replacing her D7000 and it fits her needs just fine.  

Thom's article covers a lot of ground.  At times, it's a bit of a rant and who really cares.  On the other hand, he does a nice job of digging into the camera and overall his experience is accurate and positive.  He continues to speak very positively about the camera and recommends it over alternatives.

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users