#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

The assignment sounded like it was straightforward:  shoot a stemware glass containing liquid against a dark background.  The added challenge was to arrange lighting so as to light the edges of the glass. 

Easier said than done.  When I originally shot this, I didn't like the reflections on the sides of the glass.  When we discussed it in class, Don told me that the reflections are actually a very important part of the image.  His suggestion was to arrange my lighting or reflectors, to show the edge of the glass.

I was really pleased with the results of Round 2.

Stemware-20190303-X3.jpg

This was shot with:

2 Godox SK-300 strobes, with soft-boxes

2 scrims

24-70/f 2.8 @ 60mm

f 16

1/125 sec

ISO 64

In case you're wondering, that is NOT a reflection.  Turns out that many commercial photographers take this type of shot by inverting one class, then standing another glass on top.  Warning:  don't knock the glass over; it can get very MESSY.  :rolleyes:

In Wednesday's class, Don told me that I nailed it.  He added this was good enough to use in a mailer to prospective clients.  I'll savour this praise for a few days.  The next 2 assignments require us to take our game to a higher level.

Thanks for looking, everyone.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7353 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:47 AM

Well I'm impressed Mark... looks very inviting.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7719 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

Well I'm impressed Mark... looks very inviting.

Thank you, Peter.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15620 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

Pro work there

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

Looks very good.  If I was to pick a nit (for the sake of improvement only) I'd say to try get the top rim a bit more visible all around.

I'm wondering if that is due to the POV being a tad lower than the top edge.

A direct on approach may light it better.

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7719 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Pro work there

Looks very good.  If I was to pick a nit (for the sake of improvement only) I'd say to try get the top rim a bit more visible all around.

I'm wondering if that is due to the POV being a tad lower than the top edge.

A direct on approach may light it better.

Thank you, Dennis and Gordon.

Excellent suggestion, Gordon.  That is a work in progress.  Don had previously made 2 suggestions:  1) hang a white reflector card behind and above the subject; or 2) position the soft-boxes so that at least half of each soft-box is behind the subject, allowing the light to wrap around.  Suggestion 1 went nowhere, even when I hung the card so that it was in the camera frame (I could always PS it out  ;) ).  Suggestion 2 got much better results, especially when I used a levels adjustment.  That said, it is still very much a work in progress.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21721 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:51 PM

Pro level work, Mark. Well done.

I like it.  It has depth.  This is a tricky shot, as you will know.  In my opinion, it is very well lit.

I would have maybe stood back more and split the image with a reflection, but I would have to see it first.

The image has depth, this is important for this type of capture.  I don't think I could offer any further critique as I think it is technically very well done.

The only place to go with it now would be experimentation.  Perhaps a light on the top that lights up the fluid? I don't think you need more wrap around light as your two strobes have accomplished that.  I think you need to shot some light into the glass.

You are getting very good at this!

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7719 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Pro level work, Mark. Well done.

I like it.  It has depth.  This is a tricky shot, as you will know.  In my opinion, it is very well lit.

I would have maybe stood back more and split the image with a reflection, but I would have to see it first.

The image has depth, this is important for this type of capture.  I don't think I could offer any further critique as I think it is technically very well done.

The only place to go with it now would be experimentation.  Perhaps a light on the top that lights up the fluid? I don't think you need more wrap around light as your two strobes have accomplished that.  I think you need to shot some light into the glass.

You are getting very good at this!

Thank you, Art.  Very much appreciated.

Experimentation is definitely the next step.  I actually tried a few things while shooting this.  I found that I could change the size of the reflections on either side of the glass by moving my soft-boxes in and out.  Light is absolutely fascinating.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21721 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:32 AM

Thank you, Art.  Very much appreciated.

Experimentation is definitely the next step.  I actually tried a few things while shooting this.  I found that I could change the size of the reflections on either side of the glass by moving my soft-boxes in and out.  Light is absolutely fascinating.  :)

Welcome, Mark.

Isn't it though!  Some photographers manage to exploit light brilliantly.  If makes you drool when you understand it, but can't quite get there!

I think the most successful photographers understand light and then shape a look that defines their style.

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users