7 replies to this topic

#1 jka

jka

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Bought my first umbrella and light stand today. My subject was this paper mache head that one of the kids made years ago, it has a lot of patience and doesn't ask any questions.

The umbrella with a speed light was photo right, above the head, aiming down at 45 degrees and just out of the frame. For a bit of fill light there was a piece of white styrofoam on the left very close to the head  

and again just out of the frame. Camera flash was set to commander for the trigger and the speed light was set to manual, I started at 1/4 power, iso 100, shutter 1/200th, and aperture f 7.1 and went from there.

Attached File  _DSC4473 LR.jpg   487.7KB   0 downloads

Attached File  _DSC4435 LR.jpg   542.59KB   0 downloads

This is going to be fun.........

Cheers

C & C always welcome...........Joe

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23996 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:15 PM

Good start can't wait to see more and have fun! :D

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15681 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

Nicely done

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

Lighting tools were used well.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21773 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Those paper mache heads make the best models, don't they!! :lol:  Alas, I know all too well how it is to get anyone to co-operate.

Very nicely done, congrats on the purchase!

Signature_Line_V4

#6 jka

jka

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thanks fellas........

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7814 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Nice series, Joe.  I particularly like the first one.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with both the umbrella and off-camera flash.  I recently bought 2 pairs of used Cactus wireless flash triggers, and plan to experiment with some still life stuff when renos are closer to completion.  My reading suggested that the only knock against Commander Mode is that it doesn't have as much range as wireless triggers, so I would be interested in your experiences with this.  I would have stayed with Commander, but a fellow camera club member was downsizing gear, and this was half regular purchase price, in great shape.

I would also be interested in hearing more about your experience with the umbrella for still life.  I have the stand and the flash triggers.  The umbrella is the only missing item, but I was under the impression it was more useful for portraits than still life.  Your images suggest I might be dead wrong.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 jka

jka

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

I'm definitely no expert but this is what I can tell you......

The umbrella I have is a 42 in. white shoot through with a black cover you can put on or remove.The light it produces compared to the off camera flash is more even, seems to "fall" on the subject, and gives you softer shadows, where as  off camera flash pointed directly at the subject is much harder and directional. Umbrella light is similar to window light. I don't think either is right or wrong just depends on what effect your looking for. Bounce the off camera flash and to me the light looks similar to the umbrella.

Umbrella gives you nicer catch lights in a persons eyes compared to flash.

The only trigger I've used is the commander, if you're outside in bright light it can be a problem......I would think the wireless triggers would be best in any situation.

I really like the umbrella and it's making me think more about light control than I ever have, should've bought one sooner. Next will be a fairly big soft box. 

I'd say go for it, really don't think you can go wrong..........

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users