• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21330 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:47 PM

A couple more, these are on Stainless Steel.  I took a pot lid, flipped it and used it as a base.  It was easy to get 1 and 2 drop results, 3 and higher was a disaster experiment.

Attached File  On-Stainless-Steel_1.jpg   419.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  On-Stainless-Steel_2.jpg   221.28KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#32 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21330 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:47 AM

The splashing continues .... more experimenting.... a little more understanding .... still not the desired effect.

Attached File  Splash_1.jpg   225.64KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Splash_2.jpg   234.68KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Splash_3.jpg   151.54KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#33 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23640 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

Such an interesting form of photography! When are you going to try Milk Art?

Nice work.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#34 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21330 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

Jim,

See posts 19-20, those are with milk.

As I experiment, I am learning different things.  This is a very, very fiddly form of photography.  Every time you set up, it takes about 50 images to get the "feel" down.  The reason is every little thing factors in.

The height of the MIOPS from the water.  Any change in height changes the parameters.

The size of the droplets.  

The gaps in time between drops.

The number of drops etc.

The gaps between those drops (up to 4 drops, change one ... whole new ball game!)

Any one little change and the whole equation changes. One impacts all the others.

I think I am going to email customer support in Turkey and see if I can learn something new from them.  The key piece, the part where a droplet of water causes a tower of water to erupt from the pool and is met, when it has almost crested, by a colliding drop coming down from the MIOPS device, to form that crown looking explosion, still escapes me.  

All this is measured in milliseconds and I have done them all patiently to no success.  Maybe I am missing a little secret I need to find out about.

The images above are produced with blue food coloring in the water and a drop of soap.  Forget the soap, too many after bubbles you have to deal with before you can proceed again.  Waste of time.  I am sure there are liquid thickening agents I can buy to experiment with.

Bottom line: FASCINATING.

This has really caught my interest, especially coming into Winter.  Something to do while it is bleak outside!! :)

Signature_Line_V4

#35 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15333 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

This might help.

https://iso.500px.co...op-photography/

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#36 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21330 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

Dennis,

Thank you for the link.  It is a good article, but it falls short in the key areas.

Unlike other articles, they do mention some key factors, but they don't match up with the measurement yardstick used by MIOPS.  MIOPS measures drop size in milliseconds.  They don't measure drop size and it is important.

MIOPS uses BULB, he uses .05 second shutter speed. Probably doesn't matter because the flash is what grabs the image.

Flash is set at 1/20,000 to 1/30,000 of a second, which is about 1/128 setting on my SB-910

He goes 19" above the water, MIOPS recommended about  12" which is what I am using.  I suspect the more height, the longer the reflected column out of the water.

There is no discussion on the key piece of information, when to drop the second drop!

I emailed Turkey this morning. Hope to hear back tomorrow.

Keep you in the loop!

Signature_Line_V4

#37 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21330 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

Dennis,

I got a response back from Turkey.....

Valve 20cm ... 7.9"

First Drop 50 ms

2nd Drop 50 ms Delay 100ms

Trigger 200ms

Will try this later.

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users