• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 desert_nikonian

desert_nikonian

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Macro Photography, Portraiture, Landscapes, Black & White Photography

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

So I went and grabbed my old 85mm 1.4 AF-D to play around with on my new F4 I picked up, but noticed it wasn't focusing.  At first I thought it was the new body, so I threw it on a D7100 and had the same problem.  Playing around with the focus ring I found it was very stiff towards infinity.  After playing with it for a minute or two it started working in Auto on the body, but only out to about 20 feet.  It wouldn't go any further.  

I took it to my local (and trusted) camera store to get an estimate on getting it fixed, but the repair guy is out on vacation for the next 2+ weeks.  

I'm just curious if anybody has had to get a similar lens fixed with the same issue, and if so about how much can I expect to pay?  Normally I'm happy to repair my own lenses, but when the price tag of the lens starts to jump (or the parts become harder to find) I tend not to touch them.

I'm hoping its just a case of some grease drying up and needs a good CLA.  Other opinions on what it might be?

Justin

Nikon D7100

Various lenses, ever changing selection

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21961 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

Bad luck.  I have not had this issue.  My 300mm sometimes creaks, but that goes away very quickly with a few spins on the barrel, back and forth.

Good luck with the repair, hope its not too expensive.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users