4 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner.D90

Gunner.D90

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hi All, I am going to be shooting my first wedding this coming July. It is my sister's wedding and I want everything to be as perfect as it can be. I am wondering if there is anything that you all would recommend that I pick up. I have my Nikon D90, 18-105 VR Lens, 55-200 VR Lens, UV Filters and Circular Polarizer Filters for both lenses, the Nikon SB-600 Speedlight, Gary Fong Spherical diffuser, tripod. Is there any equipment that you all would recommend that I try to acquire before then? I am also planning on looking through wedding photos that were taken at my Aunt and Uncle's wedding and my 2 brothers' weddings to get ideas for the shots. I also am planning on visiting the various sites like the church, the outdoor garden, and the reception hall to try to figure out what I am going to run into possibly as far as lighting conditions and general layout of things. Are there any articles of advice that you all would offer me or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. I unfortunately don't have anyone that I would trust to assist me because my cousin who is also a great photographer but by that time is going to have a newborn and I know she will have her hands full with that. Its times like this I wish her father, my uncle was still alive because he would be the perfect one to help me with it. I want to thank you all for any advice and recommendations that you can make for me they would be greatly appreciated. Gunner out
Nikon D90
Quantaray 9500 Tripod
Quantaray Large Computer/Camera Backpack
15" Macbook Pro
Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection
18-105 VR Nikkor Lens
55-200 VR Nikkor Lens
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight
Gary Fong Diffuser
2x8GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC Cards
2 Nikon En-EL3e batteries
and a curious mind just enough to be dangerous lol!

#2 Paul Lan

Paul Lan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

Work on Raw, bring plenty of CFcards and spare batteries for both your camera and speedlight.
Paul Lan

D70, D70s, D200, D300, D300s, D700, Df 50mm F1.4, 17-55 F2.8, 70-200 VR F2.8 50mm 1.8

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

Lightroom. I did my first wedding last year and found Lightrooms ability to sort a thousand NEF files out quickly an absolute must. Try to get a list of the shots the couple want as these will be the most important to them and people like mothers/mother-in-laws who will not let it go if you miss Aunty XXX off a particular group. Start looking at wedding shots you like, keep a file of ideas and styles that you can use and memorise a few for the day. Even one or two stand out images can transform a wedding album. Oh, and have fun.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#4 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi Gunner, I am antisocial so avoid people photography. I am no good arranging them into groups, so I think they ought to breed humans to be self-staging like wildlife. Anyway I know nothing about weddings except it is a waste of a day that only the women enjoy, unless the men get tanked up at the reception to make it bearable. ;) Being TT that option is not open to me. Anyway I found these:- http://www.rokkorfil...g101-page1.html I would suggest you make out a list of shots you want to take so if you get a bit flustered at the time you don't forget, or you can print this article out:- http://www.brighthub...icles/9546.aspx http://digital-photo...the-preparation http://digital-photo...friends-wedding What I can never understand is why you only ever get asked to photograph the wedding and never get asked to photograph or video the honeymoon night, that would be far more interesting? :unsure: Dave Whiteley :D
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#5 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Your current lens lineup covers the length range, but those two lenses aren't known for being the top of their class. I would recommend picking up a good sharp lens for the shots of the bridal couple. Those are the "money shots" and the shots they will really treasure. For that, you need a good portrait lens. Without breaking the bank, you could go with the Nikon 85mm f/1.8. Often overlooked because of it's f/1.4 big brother, this is a nice, sharp portrait lens on both FX and DX bodies. Another option is the 50 f/1.4 or 50 f/1.8. I also recommend you study using your speedlight, and shooting with if off-camera. You'll get much better results than having it on-camera point straight forward, even with the Gary Fong. Might try reading through Neil Van Niekerk's blog on flash technique: http://neilvn.com/ta...phy-techniques/ Good luck!

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users