• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22384 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:20 AM

Very impressive, Herman.  I just showed off your cockpit to my wife who is equally impressed.

Question:

You mention you saw the desert from 37,000 feet.  

How low can you go?

What details can you see?

Curious.

Signature_Line_V4

#122 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Art, I need a memory refresher... which desert scene are you referring to?

In general, what you can see from 37,000ft depends on atmospheric conditions prevailing at the time of flying. The actual weather conditions are injected into the flight simulation program every few minutes. What you are able to see also depends on the quality of the satellite imagery featured for a particular area in the simulation program.

For your info, the planned flight path data is inserted into the weather program prior to the actual flight and is from that moment continuously updated. Wind direction and speed continuously changes resulting sometimes in having alter the original assigned runway to land on.

Hope the above offers some clarification.

😃

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#123 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

IMMERSION

So let's take a quick look at another important aspect within flight simulation..." immersion ". 

Ground Handling - Airports are always an extremely busy hive of activity. Crew / passengers board and de-board, catering services, refueling of aircraft, handling cargo, logistical equipment requirements, fuel requirements, push-backs, etc, etc.

All these aspects are dealt with by a program called GSX / GSX Level 2.  I don't often make full use of the facilities offered due to time constraints.

The software is developed by FSDREAMTEAM.

For more information see link: https://www.fsdreamt...gsx_level2.html

Aircraft - You may have noticed from my previous posts that there are at times many other aircraft around. Some are static but others operate according to schedule (just like the real thing)!

These aircraft can not only be encountered on the ground but in the air during flight as well. A special add-on program ensures that they produce the associated engine sound as well. In fact, sometimes I just listen at a selected airport and watch all the activity just like the real thing!

The program used for the above is called, Ultimate Traffic Live which is responsible for AI traffic generation and management. It comes from the software developer Flight1.

See link: http://www.flight1.c...?product=utlive

On-board Announcements - Just like during a real flight, all announcements are made. This includes music, passenger sounds (throughout the flight) and all crew announcements. I even get a clap after doing a descent landing!

Subject to the airline used, I apply a specific language module. All modules are multilingual meaning English and a foreign language. In my case I have separate modules for the Dutch, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish languages.

So if I fly Lufthansa my announcements are in German and English, with TAP Air Portugal it would be in Portuguese and English, with KLM it would be Dutch and English, etc,etc. All performed very realistically!

The program used is called Simsounds which has been developed by On-Next GMBH.

See link: https://www.simsounds.de

Environmental Sounds - ENVSOUND by Toga Projects really does a good job concerning immersion by offering a considerable variety of realistic sounds concerning airports, nature, etc, etc.

See link: https://www.togaprojects.com/envsound

I also have several other utilities but will cover that at a later stage.

Hope the above offers a little more insight into my very addictive hobby!

:)

#124 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8249 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

Wow!  Herman, you really DO have a lot of fun with this.  However, you are quite right when you describe this as very addictive.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#125 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

Soaking up the sun on the Canary Islands

Join me for a flight with an Airbus A319 from Lisbon, Portugal to the Island of Tenerife, Canary Islands... great destination to get a sun tan!

The flight with TAP (TP1128) Air Portugal is based on an actual scheduled service. Flight time 2 hours, 5 minutes.  

So bring along your sun tan lotion and let's take to the skies...

Our flightpath today takes us from Portugal over the Atlantic Ocean (along the coast of Morocco) to the Canaries (several islands make up the Canary Islands with the largest being Tenerife, Las Palmas and Fuerteventura)

Bwq05sD.jpg

We await our pushback from the gate at Gen. Humberto Delgado Airport, Lisbon

3wyj3tx.jpg

Taxiing towards our assigned runway 03 (30 degrees)

mLNtVRK.jpg

Having accelerated along the runway and reached our rotation speed, our wheels leave the ground

o8pQ10i.jpg

Views of Lisbon suburbs

H0mbGNJ.jpg

Some further nice views of the Lisbon area as we head for the skies above

DPG9OWE.jpg

Passing over the coastline near Costa da Caprica with some maritime activity

uke1xAP.jpg

Our final views of the Portuguese coastline as we head out across the Atlantic Ocean in a southerly direction

H2lyK8u.jpg

Having finally reached our cruise altitude of 36,000ft (FL360), it's time for coffee and some watchful relaxation

bvMBJEu.jpg

Watchful as always, as we are never alone in the skies as can be seen here

Wtz9Z6e.jpg

Our first sight of the Canary Islands (Tenerife) in the distance

4udX4aK.jpg

The Pico del Teide meaning Mount Teide (volcano) comes into view with it's height of 3,718 meters. Last eruption was on the 18th November 1909

T4KGdH2.jpg

Approaching the rugged north-eastern section of the coastline

NaDO2rH.jpg

Following our track to the south-eastern part of the island

IFr3n4h.jpg

Some nice views of the rugged mountain landscape

rfzTbc7.jpg

PlcqSZk.jpg

Nice view of Mt. Teide. I was getting increasingly nervous thinking that we were at insufficient height. The systems on board were constantly reminding me of this

exycOeZ.jpg

Steep gorges as we fly along our flightpath

h0b3TL8.jpg

We reach the most southern coastline and shortly thereafter make a U-turn so as to line up for the approach

FyPuw1K.jpg

Our assigned runway ILSZ07 (74 degrees actual) comes into view

mvsoVt5.jpg

We descend rapidly for our landing with the speed a little too high for comfort

QrREJ2H.jpg

A little too fast but safely on the ground at Tenerife Sur (South) / Reina Sofia Airport

t909lTF.jpg

Heading toward the terminal building

wB3uzkE.jpg

Arriving at our assigned gate

z7p3oLK.jpg

JBu06ON.jpg

EuWgSuC.jpg

Passengers disembarking via the getway

stUNoK9.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now let's head for the beach...

#126 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:40 AM

A visit to the Pearl of the Adriatic

Performed a short flight yesterday afternoon from Vienna, Schwechat Airport, Austria to Dubrovnik, Cilipi Airport, Croatia.  The cirty of Dubrovnik is a world heritage site.
Aircraft used was an Airbus a319 belonging to Austrian Airlines. Weather was good and the flight duration was 1 hour, 15 minutes.
The flight schedule was based on an actual operated flight.
So fasten your seatbelts and let's fly...

Our flightplan from Vienna (LOWW), Austria to Dubrovnik (LDDU), Croatia
DrOP4qK.jpg

Our wheels start rolling after having obtained pushback & engine start clearance
oSu4z22.jpg

Our pushback is now nearly completed and our aircraft faces the direction of where we need to taxi to. During this time our engines 2 +1 (in respective order), are spooling up
CEp8SgM.jpg

Having obtained taxi clearance and after completion of the checklists, we head along the taxi-way towards our assigned runway
ICj5VNN.jpg

We continue our taxi to the assigned take-off runway 16 (160 degrees)
rsujttg.jpg

After taking off, we initially climb to 5000ft (FL50). After making the appropriate turn, you see the Vienna, Schwechat Airport in the background
t4rtLJo.jpg

Our climb continues after having gained the Air Traffic Control (ATC) instruction to ascend to 13,000ft (FL130) and later to 29,000ft (FL290)
EZ2YR0I.jpg

XqqIHRN.jpg

Having achieved our cruising altitude of 29,000ft (FL290), it's time for... coffee.  Just wish sometimes they would serve cappuccino!
8BDRmIZ.jpg

The landscape below changes rapidly to rugged mountain scenery
LEsBxxa.jpg

Soon ATC advises us to initiate our descent from 29,000ft (FL290) to 24,000ft (FL240) and thereafter continue to 17,000ft (FL170)
ByzrnAQ.jpg

An external view of our aircraft and landscape
3rXhNKO.jpg

In the meantime ATC had instructed us to further descend to 11,000ft (FL110) and then down to 9,000ft (FL90) as we get closer to our destination. We get our first glimpse of the Adriatic Sea
ILSc15x.jpg

Views of the Adriatic coastline
sB0eInK.jpg

We fly past Dubrovnik Airport  as we need to be on the approach for runway 29
joHh2wl.jpg

As we fly past our destination in a southerly direction, we descend further as instructed by ATC and prepare ourselves for some interesting maneuvers...
CrOudhK.jpg

We first do a sharp turn to the right bringing us over the Adriatic Sea
2Ltg8Ou.jpg

We approach the Adriatic coastline and fly towards the rugged landscape. I was getting quite concerned in respect of our height at this stage (never mind moments later)!
caIWiuy.jpg

Having mustered all the confidence possible as we fly around a coastal mountain and flow the flightpath to the left... what can we expect around the corner???
XdjlXP9.jpg

Wow! Runway 29 in sight and... as indicated by the 4 red lights a little too low
cM7cOBX.jpg

I immediately rectified the altitude situation and now continued the approach at the appropriate height as indicated by 2 white / 2 red lights... I'm still sweating at this stage!
Swoe1oG.jpg

After a good landing we taxi towards the main terminal building
MoOJ0Cx.jpg

Having arrived at our assigned gate the jetway is connected to our aircraft... welcome to the "Pearl of the Adriatic"!
8BUN5yn.jpg

Airport views
fkP87VR.jpg

Thanks for looking and let's now visit the fascinating City of Dubrovnik!

#127 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8249 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

Another great flight, Herman.  Does your flight sim package allow you to set up flight emergencies?  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#128 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I can program the simulator for all types of emergencies both technical and non-technical.

Some of the individual aircraft I have, can be programmed for emergency situations too.
See link for the Dash 8 Q400:  http://majesticsoftw...0/products.html   I have the 64bit PRO version of this aircraft.
PMDG aircraft offers similar as can be seen on their website: pmdg.com

The PMDG 747-400 Base Package spares no detail with incredibly accurate cockpit displays, a full-featured flight management system, highly accurate LNAV/VNAV and auto-thrust modes, precise and realistic ground and satellite approach navigation capability, dozens upon dozens of optional pieces of equipment with which you can customize your 747 cockpit and literally hundreds of potential mechanical failure scenarios that you can activate to challenge your flying skills and your airplane knowledge.

Unquote

The are certain manufacturers such as A2A whereby you actually need to maintain the aircraft to avoid issues. For details see www.a2asimulations.com

I can even control fire brigade vehicles at airports complete with screaming sirens but I don't think my wife would approve!  :D

#129 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8249 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

I can even control fire brigade vehicles at airports complete with screaming sirens but I don't think my wife would approve!  :D

:D  ;)  :D

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#130 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Windy & Wet Genoa, Italy

Did a short 52 minute domestic flight today with an Airbus A319 belonging to the Spanish low-cost carrier, VOLOTEA.

The routing was from Olbia, Costa Esmeralda Airport located in the NE of Sardinia to Genoa, Italy

The weather was extremely poor along the way with heavy cloud cover, plenty of turbulance and further north towards our destination, it just got worse and worse with heavy rain, high winds and thunderstorms.

So much so, that I failed to take images of the approach / landing as I needed full concentration to get the aircraft on the ground which was succesful but with a thud...

Our flightplan

K45sSWj.jpg

VOLOTEA parked at the Costa Emeralda Airport, Olbia

djdItLO.jpg

Our A319 aircraft

6ZzOOTv.jpg

During the pushback sequence

7A1650e.jpg

Awaiting our turn for departure from runway 23 (230 degrees)

BEV98Vy.jpg

Incoming traffic ( Transavia Boeing 737-800)

e6Y9oPg.jpg

Climbing towards our initial assigned altitude of 8000ft (FL80)

EdH2LcD.jpg

ZCaSiKG.jpg

We cruise along at 18000ft (FL180). No coffee today as there is just too much turbulance

hGIiZjX.jpg

55yMjv9.jpg

We descend to 12000ft (FL120) and continue to 6500ft (FL65) as instructed by Air Traffic Control (ATC). The rain has started...

RY94zVS.jpg

We initially fly in a south-westerly direction past our destination airport after which we do a sharp turn so as to line up for the approach towards runway 10 (100 degrees)

AqFnoIn.jpg

Sorry, no images of the approach / landing due to the extreme poor weather (full concentration required)

We arrive at our assigned parking area after landing at Genoa Christoforo Colombo (Sestri) Airport

75cyP8X.jpg

Soon all vehicles arrive and it becomes a busy scene around our aircraft

JpYqKr5.jpg

gMLew3u.jpg

OMNFx2O.jpg

WlZO1J9.jpg

2ABfSu2.jpg

Some extra ground images as a bonus due to no approach / landing images available.

Thanks for looking and don't forget your umbrella!

#131 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7716 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

Very cool Herman.... I have spent a couple of days in Genova... but the weather was fine then :P :D.. no umbrella required .

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#132 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8249 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

Another nice series, Herman.

I noticed that the First Officer was so frightened that he hid out in the washroom during takeoff?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#133 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

🤣😂🤣

#134 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11094 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Introducing you to the Land of the Polar Bear

Join me for a reasonably short flight from Tromso, Finnmark Province (ENTC) to Longyearbyen (ENSB), Spitsbergen / Svalbard.  Flight time just under 1.5 hours.

Our flight today is with Scandinavian Airlines flight SK4414. An actual operated flight but normally carried out with a Boeing B737 (in for service).

Weather conditions were fair but rather cloudy and of course we were greeted with very unpredictable weather as we closed in on our destination.

So, fasten your seatbelt and let's take to the skies... 

Our flightplan taking us directly north over Bear Island  

IfivaEU.jpg

Ready for departure from Tromso Airport that is located only 5km from the city. Awaiting authorisation for push-back and engine start

aQfgyzD.jpg

During the push-back sequence, we also start our engines. First engine #2 and once spooled up, engine #1

Pm0opgC.jpg

After a brief taxi procedure, we arrive at the holding point for our departure runway 18 (180 degrees).  We now await authorisation from the tower so as to gain access to the runway

NLWwwBs.jpg

Having taken-off in a southerly direction, we do a sharp turn to the right and simultaneously do a steep climb due to the mountainous region. We are instructed to initially climb to 8,000ft (FL080) and thereafter climb to 15,000ft (FL150), 25,000ft (FL250) until we reach our cruise altitude of 35,000ft (FL350)

1FUZxgv.jpg

tsdClC2.jpg

Below you can see part of Tromso and the airport from which we departed

268d4FQ.jpg

gqgC24t.jpg

The region is littered with fjords and islands

FgZLYAW.jpg

Looking back, we have a nice view of the city of Tromso, the airport and surroundings

oBi5d6f.jpg

We continue our climb and soon reach the Barents Sea area

BkR24Dk.jpg

Crossing over the Barents Sea

9ul9Tp8.jpg

Having finally reached our cruise altitude, it is of course time for coffee

UuyYDi0.jpg

We continue our flight north and eventually reach the uninhabited Bear Island that is situated approximately half-way between the Norwegian mainland and Spitsbergen / Svalbard. Unfortunately, the island cannot be seen due to cloud cover

DnFAHod.jpg

An external view from below our aircraft with plenty of blue skies

BiC76ym.jpg

Our first sighting of the most southern tip of Spitsbergen / Svalbard on the on-board radar. After reaching the waypoint, EDIKI, we immediately start our descent from 35,000ft (FL350) in stages being 25,000ft (FL250) and then to 15,000ft (FL150) 

4FS0dET.jpg

Approaching the Spitsbergen / Svalbard coastline

8EoonTo.jpg

IvKVbju.jpg

gZYgvMo.jpg

YfwgP5o.jpg

We are eventually advised by Air Traffic Control to descend further to 10,000ft (FL100) 

jz3IVkG.jpg

F6TBDfo.jpg

ETd0QpZ.jpg

We turn in a westerly direction towards our destination being Longyearbyen and continue our descent to 3,100ft (FL31)

8pbldW5.jpg

As mentioned earlier the weather on Spitsbergen / Svalbard can always be extremely unpredictable and can change from one moment to the next

XUVcBF6.jpg

Bt7ZucJ.jpg

gAKVPir.jpg

Heading on over the sea beyong Lonyearbyen so as to gain sufficient distance from the airport and be able to initiate the approach

ily0brM.jpg

During our turn heading back in an easterly direction so as to line up for the approach to our assigned runway 10 (100 degrees)

MnfMSIJ.jpg

Our cockpit view as we line up for the approach to our ILS10 runway (ILS = Instrument Landing System) A frequency beacon sending out signals to aid airport landings

fCZbGA8.jpg

At this stage it's an ongoing battle with the wind direction

Xv0csG3.jpg

Touchdown at Longearbyen. Welcome to Spitsbergen / Svalbard!

T6Jaoro.jpg

We turn left off the runway so as to head for the apron

jXaOa7I.jpg

Terminal building and control tower

CIBu61v.jpg

This flight brought back many memories as I personally spent 10 days at this fascinating destination back in 2013. The only difference being that I flew with Norwegian from Oslo and landed at Longyearbyen on runway 28 (280 degrees)

Thanks for looking!

:)  PS. Polar Bears are a protected species on the whole of Spitsbergen / Svalbard!

Additional information

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...rg/wiki/Tromsø

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...Island_(Norway)

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...iki/Spitsbergen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users