#1 kickstan

kickstan

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:photography, computers,

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:47 AM

I went on a vacation to Samana and rented a 200-500 to use on my D300- liked the lens, easy to hand hold.  I am  thinking that it's time to move up for more resolution and am looking at a used D800 -what opinions would you have on this camera? The budget is my deciding factor as it is around $1000 and from what I have read the D810 would be a better camera, but most used ones are going for over $2000.

Stan Nicholls

Nikon D300
Nikon 18-200 VR, 180 2.8, 50 1.8

Taking pictures is a craft...Photography is an art
I strive to be an artist

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6969 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

Stan, you might want to PM Art and ask him about his thoughts on the D800.  Despite his new D850, I think he still has his D800, and could tell you more about positives and negatives.

I've had my D810 for 2.5 years and love it.  True, it's pricey, but I think it's good value for money.  Unfortunately for you, mine is not for sale.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

I assume your looking at Full frame only then,  If you ever in the market for a crop sensor i have the d500 and love it.  for wildlife its perfect

Jerome

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20873 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

Stan,

I sent you a PM response, sorry for the delay.

The D810 is head and shoulders over the D800.

I would hold out for a D810, you won't be upgrading again for a very long time.

However, you won't be disappointed with a D800 either, its just the D810 fixed quite a few "nits" with the D800.

I should have asked, what are you going to do with the camera?  If it is sports, nature and action oriented, you might want to consider the D500 DX.  It is unbelievable as well!  Might better fit into your budget, I don't know.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

I've got a D850 but use the D800E as a backup.  I've used the D810 and the differences are relatively small.  With a price target of $1000, it's a good option.

The D750 is my recommendation.  It's a more recent camera with a lot of newer features.  I think you'll find it similar to the D300 and a nice upgrade to full frame.  To keep the cost down, look for a refurbished model.

I'd hang onto your D300 as a backup.  You won't get much for it and it remains a good camera.

Keep in mind that when you upgrade your camera, you'll probably need to update software if you are not running a current version.

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

My 2 cents.  I am the proud owner of the D800e.  This is the best camera I have ever owned.  Once I upgrade to the D850, I will use it for backup. I can recommend the D800e without hesitation.

#7 kickstan

kickstan

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:photography, computers,

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:14 PM

Eric, a refurbished model is not worth it here in Canada.  Nikon.ca has refurbished products on their website.  For instance a refurbished D850 is for sale from Nikon for $4,399.  I can go down the street to Vistek and purchase a new D850 for $4,299.  $100 dollars less than the refurbished model....why would anyone want a refurbished one from Nikon ????

Stan Nicholls

Nikon D300
Nikon 18-200 VR, 180 2.8, 50 1.8

Taking pictures is a craft...Photography is an art
I strive to be an artist

#8 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

Stan

You'll see a wide range of prices for refurbished cameras depending on timing and the dealer.  The D850 is a great new camera and in short supply, so a refurb is not really an option.  But for a D810 or a D750, if you keep an eye out you can get a substantial reduction.  I'd expect to see refurbs priced equivalent to used or $500 or more below new to make it a viable option.  For $1100-1200, a refurb D750 is a good option but current prices are $1599 or so which is high.  I'm seeing refurb D810 cameras ranging from $1899 (Cameta) to $2399 (Nikon).  In the $1500-1899 range, the D810 refurb option makes sense.  But $1899-2399 is a very wide range so you need to be selective. 

The last refurb I purchased was a D7200 when it was relatively late in the model life but before the D7500 was announced.  I found one for $695 - at the time almost $400 less than a new camera.  And if you bought new, the resale value used would have dropped too that range within a week.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users