13 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

I recently bought the Tokina ATX-116 Pro DXII lens. This is an 11-16mm f2.8 lens. I'm not usually very fond of third party lens but Nikon don't make a lens like this one and the closest one they do is way more expensive than the Tokina.

Tokina116lens_zpsyftqvoll.jpg

Despite the fact that this lens is in the reasonably priced lens bracket it feels like a pro lens. It has a metal mount and body. It is heavy and quite big. It is designed for DX sensors, at a pinch it can be used on an FX camera but you'll get vignetting at the edges if you go wide full frame. 

It has a quiet built in motor so you can use it with cameras that don't have a built in auto focus motor. Focusing is fairly quick and because it's a constant f2.8 you get a good view and consistent exposure. 

The zoom range is quite small but you can go for the 11-20mm version of this lens if you want more range. For me 11-16mm covered the range that I don't have covered already. 

Even though this lens is very wide, any wider and you are starting to get into fisheye lens territory, it handles distortion and chromatic aberration well.

Below is a test shot of the side of a shed where you can see lots of horizontal lines. This shot is shrunk down for the web of course but the distortion and chromatic aberration are uncorrected. This is shot at 11mm, which is very wide. 

Tokina116lenstest_zpsyqcox9li.jpg

We can see distortion of course but in my opinion for a shot at 11mm it's pretty good.

The lens comes with a sturdy lens hood which apparently will be needed because flare can be an issue with this lens, at a least in the DXI version. I haven't had chance to experience that issue yet but in this newer version of the lens (DXII) Tokina have made an effort to improve the problem. 

Here's a shot I took today. This is the first snowfall we've had in London this winter. I took it fully zoomed out at 11mm.

Shebasnow03_zpsaof3e4b0.jpg

I've found this lens to be sharp and I consider it to be what they say it is, a pro lens. Tokina don't make many lens and they seem to specialize in ultra wide angle lens. They are part of the same company that own Hoya and they use Hoya glass in their lenses, which I understand Nikon use also. 

In conclusion I think that this is an excellent lens that fills a spot that Nikon haven't catered for. It feels solid and professional, looks good and does the job. On the downside it is big and heavy, but in my line of work that impresses people LOL. 

Here's a link to the Tokina page for this lens: http://www.tokinalen.../atx116prodxii/

Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#2 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Other great features on this lens are internal focusing and internal zooming. The lens hardly moves externally.

The unique clutch mechanism for switching from auto to manual focus is an interesting innovation that works well. I think I prefer the system on Nikon's pro lenses myself but I like this too.

If you ever watch DigitalRev's review of this lens (it might be of the first version) then take it with a grain of salt. In fact take all of their reviews sceptically. 😏

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15759 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

Congrats, the image looks good.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21945 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Congratulations on the purchase of your new glass, Rebel.  Wow, great review, read it with interest!  Looks like a nice lens.  If you can, please post more images, would like to see them.

Distortion isn't much!! The sample of the wall is impressive and I am sure, some of that too can be corrected with software.  If you use NX2, it has a distortion correction feature that works very well.

There is no noticeable chromatic aberration that I can see.... maybe, a touch around the dog .... if you sharpen the image, it might be more pronounced.

Regardless, looks like an excellent lens!  Enjoy.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24070 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Excellent review and congrats on the new lens! The 3rd party guys are given the big boys a run for their money my Tokina 100 f2.8 is super and half the price of the Nikon.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

@Art Yes there's chromatic aberration on the dog's hind leg. I've noticed that it is most pronounced in areas that are slightly out of focus at the edges of the frame. There was no cropping in that image.

Interestingly I took two test images that were almost the same, one with the Nikon 35mm prime and one with the Tokina 11-16mm. The chromatic aberration was worse on the prime lens than the Tokina zoomed to 16mm.
  • Art likes this

#7 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4340 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of this lens. I bought the Nikkor 12-24/4 right before I found out about the existence of this baby. Not that it's a bad lens but I'd have liked that extra stop.

Congrats on the new glass!!

Edited by justshootit, 17 January 2016 - 09:46 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#8 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

excellent review.

I have this lens and really like it.

I found it to be great for street events like the farmers market, antique fair etc. where you are up close and personal.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#9 Eniko

Eniko

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Shooting videos, Reading, TRX, movies

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hi, I've got a Nikon D5100. I use it for shooting videos. I'm thinking of buying this lens. Could this be a good choice for me? I read good reviews, and they also said that the autofocus problem with the D5100 was solved in this II version. Is that right?

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24070 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Welcome Eniko to the planet.

Yes the new version has a built in motor so it will AF with your D5100. 

We try to get to know all our new members so if you could introduce yourself in the new member forum I think you will find this to be a very friendly place.

Again welcome to Planet Nikon we are glad you joined us.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

I've had no problems with focusing using this lens. As Jim mentioned the lens has a built in motor so it is auto focus compatible with all Nikon DX cameras, it can even be used on FX cameras in crop mode.

#12 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Tokina makes very nice lenses.  I have an old MF 2.8 mid range zoom that is a go too for still life.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#13 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

I'm looking at the AF-S version of this lens. It gets great reviews.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#14 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2693 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

Yes it does get good reviews. I almost bought the 11-16 but last summer I found a good deal on the Tokina 12-24 so I got it.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tokina 11-16, Lens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users