• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19618 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Okay, straight up front. My next Nikon will be have video capabilities (all new ones have this B)) and as always I ask here first. Wheatsack has already gave me some thoughts in another posting and many thanks. How is it for my fellow Planeteers? Do u use it and for what? What video editing program do u use? Is manual focusing the only or best way to capture? Can you record lengthy videos? Can u load one for our viewing? Thanks a million for any participation. PJ..The confused video guy.:blink:

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm getting back into video production (starting to get more requests / opportunities for it). My take - 1. I don't currently have a Nikon that shoots video, but I've used a D7000 and several Canon DSLRs for video, and I will NEVER go back to a standard camcorder again. I love the cinematic look that is much more affordably achieved via DSLR lenses. 2. Most DSLRs limit your recording time to about 20 minutes. Also, I've found that if your files are larger than a certain size, some cameras (the Canons, at least) will split them into smaller segments on the memory card. 3. Continuous recording can cause your camera to overheat and shut down until it cools sufficiently to continue. 4. Use fast (class 10) SDHC memory cards 5. I edit in Final Cut Pro (7) and teach Adobe Premiere. Both have some fine features but I dislike the cluttery interface of Premiere intensely. 6. PluralEyes software from Red Giant is AMAZING for synchronizing footage from multiple cameras (multicam shoot) 7. A couple recent samples - both shot with Canon DSLRs: Walkjoy / Walking Health (medical device) promo: Mercedes Benz 300 SL promo: Hope that helps, Jazzer! J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20883 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

PJ, I know the D800 has amazing video capability...... I have yet to even run 1 second of video on it. Can you believe it? Honestly, I am interested, have lots of ideas.... But I simply like taking pictures more! I simply do not do video.
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis and Photogrpahy

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

How is it for my fellow Planeteers? I love the added video capabilities. I use it to capture special events and concerts (for personal use). Do u use it and for what? See samples of video clips. D800 D7000 video What video editing program do u use? Adobe Media encoder / Windows video maker Is manual focusing the only or best way to capture? Manual focus minimizes the noise the lens makes when using auto focus. It is recommended that you use manual focus to eliminate this. The D7100 has a stereo mic unlike the D800 which is why I use a Nikon ME-1 mic to get a stereo sound. It doesn't require a battery to operate. Can you record lengthy videos? Less than 30 minutes per recording. Once you stop recording, the counter is reset to 29min 59 secs. This is standard with all manufacturers. Can u load one for our viewing? See attached link above. :)

Edited by Glenn, 16 March 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Regards,

Glenn
D3s, D800E, D7000 and some mixed lenses
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/24917880@N02/
"You can never have too many lenses" - B and H Photo.

#5 Chrisc

Chrisc

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Mini Coopers

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Is there a decent tutorial on using the Video capabilities in the D7000? I have no interest in doing movies or travelogues, but I am picking up a motorhome in CA in july, and when the woner walks me through all the ins and outs of the vehicle, I'd like to record all the details so if I have questions later, I can refer back to the video. I have a great selection of lenses to work with but no external lights.
"It's all good."

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20883 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Chris, that is an excellent idea, good for you for coming up with a well thought out plan. Darrell (DD on the forum) publishes some really good books on how to use the features of your camera. I had his D90 book and now, his D800 book. I believe he did a D7000 book. You can probably pick it up on Amazon. I would say one of those books is your best bet.
Signature_Line_V4

#7 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19618 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

In addition to Darrell's book, YouTube probably has a video or two showing the video aspects of the D7000 as well.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users