22 replies to this topic

#1 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hello again, I'm wanting to step up my photography more seriously now especially as I've now got my 1st D-SLR, I know it's only basic but it will be ok for my needs plus I haven't got deep pockets to go out there spending. I'm still chuffed with the new addition especially after my old 35mm slr and 35mm point and shoot cameras ohh and numerous point n shoot digital cameras. I have a tripod which I try to use most of the time depending on the pictures I'm taking. I'm thinking of investing in a monopod as my hands are not as steady as they used to be lol :P I can see it would be a great addition especially for quickness like at football matches and other venues, something that does not take up too much room like the 3 legs on a tripod. Are there any members here who use a monopod for them shots when you are out and about and you want a sharp picture without camera shake ? Tim.

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10317 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Tim, as you may have noted from my signature, I have a Manfrotto 681B monopod. To be frank, I use it less than my tripods. I can imagine that for confined spaces, it would be more convenient having a monopod. In respect of camera shake... well I tend to rely more on VR capable lenses. :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Thank you Herman, notices now in you're signature :P The D3000 has the VR lens fitted, I was thinking of the monopod for like if you have ever been to a football match and you're sat down you don't have much legroom in front of you you're knees are almost touching the seat in front but there is enough room to stick a monopod in front of you. Was also thinking for if I'm out in Town for quickness and easy to carry. Just a thought. I'll have a ponder on the idea ;)

#4 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10317 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Just watch out when the crowd stands to cheer! :D Perhaps a small, light monopod is handy but the one I have is large and heavy (awkward)... Good for extra protection though! :)

#5 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Yes you have a valid point there Herman when the crowd jumps up :D Now that would be just my bad luck lol. I guess it would come in handy for a walking stick aswell :lol:

#6 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10317 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Ha, ha! :D Less conspicuous than carrying a baseball-bat around! :)

#7 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

lol that's true :P

#8 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi Tim, I have a Manfrotto Magfiber 694, And have a RRS MH-01 monohead, Like others, since I upgraded my tripod to a Gitzo (GT 3541LS), I do not use the monopod as much now, Perhaps it is the fact that the Gitzo is so light to carry around anyway? One little trick I can pass on, I piggyback my MH-01 on top of my RRS BH-55 ballhead and it is a great set-up for tracking birds in flight I have tried various types of ballheads on monopods and found the dedicated monopod head is the way to go, Manfrotto make a cheap one and RRS make the best I know of Regards, Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#9 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Gary for the tip :) I've just been having a root around on ebay and there is plenty of Manfrotto's on there which I'll keep an eye on. Tim.

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21208 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Tim, I have both Tripod and Monopod. The monopod is fine when you can't bring in a tripod. Mine is substantially lighter and easier to haul and handle but my preference is the tripod. I have not used it much but the little I have used it, I have not enjoyed the experience that much as I find it awkward. This could just be a personal quirk. I have used my tripod like a monopod, with the legs not extended out and I actually like that better with the 3 legs the same length. I have also tried it with one leg extended more than the others (like this the least). This was before I bought the monopod. Experiment and see what works for you. I bought a GIOTTOS monopod. It is light and sturdy but to be honest, I am no impressed with it. When I last used it in the field, the top swivel plate disappeared into the tundra! You would think these things would be made so they don't unscrew and fall apart. Mine did just that. However, they will cover repair under warranty. I just have to return it to the store I bought it from. I suspect a Manfrotto will cost more, but be much better.
Signature_Line_V4

#11 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

I have used my tripod like a monopod, with the legs not extended out and I actually like that better with the 3 legs the same length. I have also tried it with one leg extended more than the others (like this the least). This was before I bought the monopod.

That is a good point pal :)

I've actually used this method when I've had the tripod with me, like you say I think it's personal preference, ahhhh something to ponder on ;)

Thank you.

Tim.

#12 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Tim, I have an "inexpensive" monopod. It's my second one, I dropped the first one in the old Erie Canal while I was shooting without it. :angry: Its a Targus and I only paid $15.00. I do a lot of hiking and want to trim down my weight. I use it as a hiking stick and then have a single pole for the other hand. I am thinking about a monopod head for it as its not always convenient to shoot up or down with it. Leaning it too far negates the support. On your other question I shoot Aperture 90% of the time. OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#13 always1more

always1more

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Good evening OD thanks for the reply :) I have the same thoughts here and need to shift some extra padding, I have seen some monopods that have a handle like a walking stick but you can mount the camera on it, I think it might be a hama its only 9.39 off 7dayshop ;) Thank you for the tip on Aperture mode ;) Tim.

#14 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7019 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

I use a monopod fairly often. I almost always use it with my 200-400VR lens. I like to put a ball head on the monopod to add stability and make lens/camera changes quicker. It works fine with wildlife especially in confined spaces. I haven't seen you post in awhile Tim. Let's see some more photos.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#15 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

I have a Manfroto tripod and a Slik Pro Pod 382 Carbon Fiber Monopod. The tripod is much more stable but the monopod weighs less than a pound so it gets a bit more use when I'm wandering around on the trails. It does take some getting used to though as composing your shot means tilting the monopod to the right angle.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#16 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7019 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

You're right Terry. I use mine whenever I go to photograph birds at Gatorland in Orlando. It's a great site, but it is a tourist haven. The boardwalks and lots of people combine to make a tripod unusable. So I adapt very quickly to leaning the monopod to get the framing that I want.

#17 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

I use a monopod fairly often. I almost always use it with my 200-400VR lens. I like to put a ball head on the monopod to add stability and make lens/camera changes quicker. It works fine with wildlife especially in confined spaces. I haven't seen you post in awhile Tim. Let's see some more photos.

You ever use the 600mm on the monopod? How about the Wimberly head on the pod?
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#18 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7019 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

You ever use the 600mm on the monopod? How about the Wimberly head on the pod?

No Mark, I can't remember ever trying the 600 or the Wimberley head on a monopod. I see sports photographers using the 600 on a monopod though. Whenever I use the monopod, I use it with my Really Right Stuff BH-55 and the 200-400VR lens. It works well.

#19 Guest_photogbuff_1970_*

Guest_photogbuff_1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

I don't think my Manfrotto 680B is going to cut it for a lens of that weight. I presume it would be adviseable to think about upgrading to a Gitzo monopod? Presumably the GT5540.

#20 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10317 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Mark, besides my Gitzo tripod, I intend using my 500VR lens in combination
with my Manfrotto 681B monopod. I've done quite a bit of research and
found a lot of feedback via the Internet.

I have a Vanguard SBH-300 ballhead with Wimberley C-12 clamp attached.

Both are amply suitable for the heavy lens. I too want to enhance mobility
when taking the heavy lens on an outing!

The only thing I'm still looking into is do you really require a ballhead to be
mounted or... can the C-12 clamp simply be screwed onto the monopod.

:)
PS. Why put a Wimberley Gimbel on a monopod? Can only imagine the benefit if the monopod is clamped down in a safari vehicle!

Edited by Herman, 12 February 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#21 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10317 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Mark, I can confirm too that the Wimberley C-12 clamp fits directly on my Manfrotto 681B monopod head! So there is no requirement for ballhead placement when using the above combination. Saves additional weight! :)

#22 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21208 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Tim,

I have both Tripod and Monopod. The monopod is fine when you can't bring in a tripod. Mine is substantially lighter and easier to haul and handle but my preference is the tripod.

I have not used it much but the little I have used it, I have not enjoyed the experience that much as I find it awkward. This could just be a personal quirk.

I have used my tripod like a monopod, with the legs not extended out and I actually like that better with the 3 legs the same length. I have also tried it with one leg extended more than the others (like this the least). This was before I bought the monopod.

Experiment and see what works for you. I bought a GIOTTOS monopod. It is light and sturdy but to be honest, I am no impressed with it. When I last used it in the field, the top swivel plate disappeared into the tundra! You would think these things would be made so they don't unscrew and fall apart. Mine did just that. However, they will cover repair under warranty. I just have to return it to the store I bought it from.

I suspect a Manfrotto will cost more, but be much better.

Thought I would post a quick update on my previous post:

The GIOTTOS turned out to be a piece of garbage. When the replacement came in, I took it out in the extreme cold (we actually had a few days) and it shattered with the weight of my camera and lens.

I ended up buying the MANFROTTO after all. A substantially better Monopod and I am sorry I wasted my time with the Giottos. You get what you pay for .

Model number can be found in my sig line. I have been using this for a little over a month and it is a great monopod. Happy I finally went for it.
Signature_Line_V4

#23 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3388 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I really cannot tell what the model of my monopod. I am guessing Manfrotto. I painted it 10 years ago, immediately after the theft of the previous model. There were others on the market, but I wanted one that weighed the least. It has served me well. Most of my subjects are moving too fast for head adjustments. Thinking is not allowed. :P

Attached Files

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users