• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

I grow Lily's just for photographic purposes but my 18-55 just won't get me in close enough, nor will the 50mm f1.8, any suggestions?

Attached Files

• Attached File  bug1.jpg   313.14KB   0 downloads

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2767 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:16 AM

A much less expensive option than a macro lens is a Nikon 6t close up diopter lens. They're discontinued and only available used. You would also need a step up adapter ring to fit it on the 50 or 18-55. The 6t has a filter thread size of 62mm. There are single element diopter lenses that are much cheaper, but the 6t will not degrade image quality like a cheap one will. Just remember working distance will be short with shorter focal lengths such as 50 or 55mm. here's a link.

https://www.ebay.com...on 6t.TRS0.TSS0

Edited with the following: I see in your signature you have a Tamron 70-300. The 6t will offer more working distance and larger reproduction ratios with longer focal lengths, so it may work better with the 70-300. But in my experience, using the 6t with too long a focal length caused degraded quality. So maybe you can use it in the 70-200 range.

Edited by LightMeter, 13 July 2018 - 04:20 AM.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#3 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10796 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

Jeff, as a cheap effective option I recommend getting a reverse-ring adapter with a screw in diameter that fits the front of your lens. You will have outstanding magnification but bear in mind that DOF is very shallow. Tricky but workable.

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8040 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

Jeff, as a cheap effective option I recommend getting a reverse-ring adapter with a screw in diameter that fits the front of your lens. You will have outstanding magnification but bear in mind that DOF is very shallow. Tricky but workable.

Nikon makes one, and it won't cost an arm and a leg either.  I paid about $60 CDN for mine.  Herman's last two sentences are very true.  I really had a hard time getting used to it, but that may because I was using my old 50mm D series 1.8.

Other alternatives are pricier.  Extension tubes are another way to go.  However, I have no current information on how they work; or how they are priced.  Sigma makes a 70-300 macro lens, but the macro only functions between 200 mm and 300 mm.  That wasn't working for me either.  Fortunately, I bought it used, from a reputable camera dealer, at a good price.  To this day, it makes a nice general purpose lens.

The Sigma 105/2.8 is now my favourite macro lens.  I really like this lens.  It's great for macro; and I also like the focal length when I'm shooting still life/product.  It's pricier than the alternatives above, but was roughly one-half the cost of Nikon's macro lens at the time I bought it.

Your choice is a matter of preference.  However, if you are just starting to explore this, the reverse-ring adaptor or the extension tubes might be an affordable way to get your feet wet.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15816 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

I'm not sure how much your willing to spend. But a used Nikon 105 AF-D is pretty reasonable. The optics if just as sharp is the new Nikon (may even be more sharper)and is a great lens. I have it, and my wife has the current one. I like the D version, and have used it for a long while. Especially if I'm using a tripod or mono pod. And I have also gotten good results hand holding. However, that would be a  hit and miss.

https://www.adorama....qgaAoFMEALw_wcB

Another combo I have used for walking around the butterfly pavilion is the Nikon 70-210/f4 macro with a Nikon 6T close up filter. The 6T is a double element close up lens. I can not have any kind of camera stand at the place and this combo works great. I'm not that close the the insect, and I can hand hold it well.

https://www.adorama....qgaAoFMEALw_wcB

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22133 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

What Dennis said.

I have tried every trick on the planet.

1) extension tubes

2) macro filters

3) bellows

4) reverse rings

5) buying a Macro lens

Best option is the lens.

I picked up a Nikon 105mm f2.8G.  Awesome and multipurpose.

The best option by far is stacking.  I have looked at Helicon Focus software.  With the incremental abilities of the D850 and this unbelievable stacking software, you can get some incredible images.  The software is next on my list of purchases when I get some spare cash.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users