• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21425 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:24 AM

Day 2, sort of.

So many images, starting to get mixed together.

A small (very small) sampling from the different places I set up on the track.  Even climbed up the TSN camera tower because they weren't there and the Marshals said, "You signed the waiver ....."!   :D

So, we went for it!

Please, FELL FREE TO CRITIQUE ANY OF THE RACE IMAGES I post.  I very much welcome some honest discussion on these, its the only way to improve on my performance for next time.  Also, these are certainly not the best selection of images... going through some 6,000 clicks and grabbing here and there to give you an idea.

Attached File  CTMP_5393.jpg   444.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_5645.jpg   586.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_3782.jpg   392.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_5670.jpg   566.55KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_6642.jpg   575.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_6793.jpg   530.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_3484.jpg   510.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_6068.jpg   546.24KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CTMP_6971.jpg   418.21KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7391 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

I like them all, Art.  Nice work.

However, I have to ask:  is the very last image from the same event?  The bike looks like it is a dirt/stunt bike, completely different from the bikes in your other images.  Same goes for the rider.  If this is from the same event, then all I can say is:  "That must have REALLY hurt!"  :lol:

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7113 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Great work Art.

• Art likes this

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23693 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Well done Art, excellent series as usual. 

Jim

• Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks, Mark, Peter and Jim!!

Mark,

Yes, it is from the same event.

Our all time record holding 13 time winner, Jordan Szoke, owns a stunt motorcycle group, or company .... don't quite know what to call it.  They put on approximately 8-10 shows over two days.  

These guys are .... to put it simply ... AMAZING!

They go up a steep ramp, 72 feet in the air, do these stunts, and land on another steep, short ramp .... PERFECTLY every time.  It is really something to see!

And, they use these dirt bike type motorcycles, probably because they are very fast and very light.

Signature_Line_V4

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15403 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

Another nice series Art.

That last shot is what happens when the rider hits (bounces) off the photographer.

Art, you asked.

I think you need to open the lens more. So the second driver in two and three will be out of focus. Just my two cents.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

Another nice series Art.

That last shot is what happens when the rider hits (bounces) off the photographer.

Art, you asked.

I think you need to open the lens more. So the second driver in two and three will be out of focus. Just my two cents.

:lol:

Yea, that is close to what it looks like.  I was very, very close to where a bike hit the wall, just behind me.  Brutal. Made me think....

All media photographers are required to attend a morning daily briefing from Race and Track Officials in the Media Centre before we get our Media Vest.

1) they tell us where we can and can't go.  And why.

2) they tell us not to do the stupid things that stupid people have done in the past.

3) they tell us not to be GOULS in a crash situation.  Wait until driver is up and fine.

- a few weeks ago, someone died on the track.  The morons in the crowd were there with their cell phones and some idiot photographers were there too shooting the body.  <_<

- want to NEVER go back to this track? ... do this again.... bye bye for ever.   They are real serious now about none of this happening again.  Cops took peoples cell phones!! and erased the images.

4) Personal Safety:

- no tripods

- no hanging over wall ----->DUUUUH!  But, if they don't say it, guess what !!!

- no CROSSING TRACK ----> see above ... duh

- have an escape route

- no standing between race track retaining wall and ANYTHING behind you, like a billboard or a fence.

- no touching/leaning on/sitting on/resting against the race track wall

- DO NOT put anything ON the race track wall

- and my favorite.... you can only go down on one knee, not two and not on your stomach

I saw two crashes right in front of me.  You have time to go .... WHOA .... and it is OVER.  It is so fast, you can't move.  Maybe, if it is coming towards you, you have time to have your life flash before your eyes, but that is it.

Cars will hit the wall and SPLIT THE CONCRETE!!!  I saw it in a couple of places.

The bikes are dangerous because there is a slight chance they will flip over the wall.  Bike crashes are brutal to see and hear.

Thought I would share that bit of experience.

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Oppps, the question about DoF.....

Here is what I found ...

I shot a lot of images at f4.

High shutter speed, NOT ENOUGH DoF!!

I shot at f5.6, not bad, much better focus.  And, since the name of the game is focus .... I then went to a higher ISO, as Phil suggested and shot a ton at f8 and almost all the images of the main rider were in focus.  That is all that mattered to me.

The DoF on the 200-400 is pretty narrow and I wanted all the bike and rider to be focused.  The rest, although it looks great, was secondary.

Signature_Line_V4

#9 kickstan

kickstan

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:photography, computers,

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

Art, are all these images for a client or just personal shooting?

Stan Nicholls

Nikon D300
Nikon D800/>Nikon 18-200 VR, 24-70 2.8,180 2.8, 50 1.8

Taking pictures is a craft...Photography is an art
I strive to be an artist

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:37 AM

Art, are all these images for a client or just personal shooting?

These are all shot for PlanetNikon Photographer Magazine.  I am going to do an article on the Park for Mobil 1 and for the Superbike.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users