• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21342 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:57 AM

I did some work on this image in Color FX.

What do you guys think?

All comments welcomed.

Attached File  Cayley-(Mustang)_1_900px.jpg   309.79KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7076 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:55 AM

Moody .... cool.

• Art likes this

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10356 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

Agree with Peter... that's not Margo is it?

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

That is not Margo.

That is Cayley.  She is a model/photographer. This was taken at my last Flash class on Tuesday.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15352 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Well, I'll be the different guy. I think it has a bit to much glow and the blacks don't seem right.

I like the pic, and the use of flash.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Interesting comment, Dennis.

Now that I look at it, you are right.

I did a fair amount of PP on this to get a mood.
Tough image.

Had a lot of trouble with lighting it, both with existing light and technical problems with lighting and being rushed in class!

How would you fix this?
Signature_Line_V4

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15352 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

Well, I do use the glow on black and white, but sparingly. 

Before effects, I would ensure there is good separation between the car and her paints, even if it looks strange or too light. Knowing the effects will increase the contrast.

In color effects; there is a "change the light filter". I'm at work, but I will have to go look when I get home for the real name. I use it for portraits when I want to move/fix the light a bit. More for full length type portraits.

I like the warming, and the color boost. looks good on her hair. 

I might do the glow in two passes. so I would complete all the other stuff. Then go in again to use as a brush and glow her hair. I like how you have it now. then get out. May even glow her face a bit.

Go back in to deal with the blacks and contrast. Fix any contrast issues with the contrast filters. Go out. However, I might just do that in PS.

Then go in a glow the blacks, not as a brush. If I remember correctly the glow allows you to chose which side (highlights or shadows), a balance of sorts. And make sure I don't go nuts with how much glow. I think her shoes would be a good indicator of going to far. they start to look fake when you apply too much.

I understand the darkening of the background. I might just do that with a vignette and a large feather. But, I'm not sure when I would add the vignette. And maybe add it before doing effects, and see how it turns out after effects, and possible add a second one after.

Layers are a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

All good, I will have a closer look. I like the dark dramatic lighting, so if I can manipulate it to be perfect, bonus!

Thanks for the tip! Will post another sample after I give it a go ...
Signature_Line_V4

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3398 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

And...what if you did not do as much PP on the model, so she stands out being sharper? Her dress is made to be in sharp detail. If she had checked pants and a solid black top, this would have worked just fine. As D said, you gotta do a little something with black legs. 

Then to "own" it...I would make the side marker the same hue as that of her jacket or hair.

I could never have taken this photo, it is very good. Lighting is great, you were listening in class.

• Art likes this
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7315 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

Dennis makes very good points, but overall, a very nice image.  :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:01 PM

And...what if you did not do as much PP on the model, so she stands out being sharper? Her dress is made to be in sharp detail. If she had checked pants and a solid black top, this would have worked just fine. As D said, you gotta do a little something with black legs. 
Then to "own" it...I would make the side marker the same hue as that of her jacket or hair.
I could never have taken this photo, it is very good. Lighting is great, you were listening in class.

Everyone here has made good suggestions, but consider this ... the original picture is your standard lite image.

I put a glamour glow on the model on purpose. Part of the challenge was with dealing with the location and having very little control over many factors, including clothing. What you see is what you get, make something of it. Most of the class went into the ally way and shot here on a fire escape. I did that as well but saw a potential opportunity with the car.

One hug problem i faced was the back ground. It goes from black on left to white on right! Dark brick with very little evening light to a brick wall painted white with the setting sun washing it out on the right! I had to knock that down because your eyes automatically went there!

Neither the flashes, nor the triggers were mine! That causes its own issues.

And I had maybe what seemed like 15 minutes or less to make it happen.

The car did not light up evenly due to fading sun light, flashes in the wrong position and no real diffusers to speak of.

And, I wanted a moody image!

Now, I have tried to bring separation to her legs and succeeded by adding contrast but it was lost in the glamour glow.

Finally, every correction fixed one thing and ruined another. And, that is what made all this fun!
Signature_Line_V4

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

Dennis makes very good points, but overall, a very nice image.  :)

Thanks, Mark!
Signature_Line_V4

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

OK, HAVE AT IT!!

This is the original image. Feel free to fix it, color it, B&W it etc., only post it back here.  Curious to see what you can do with it.

Have some fun!

Attached File  Mustang-Test_3969.jpg   425.58KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#14 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7315 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

OK, HAVE AT IT!!

This is the original image. Feel free to fix it, color it, B&W it etc., only post it back here.  Curious to see what you can do with it.

Have some fun!

attachicon.gifMustang-Test_3969.jpg

No thanks. 

When I compared your original post with the original image, I realized that I like them both.  It's strictly a matter of personal taste.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21342 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Thanks, Mark. 

In my books, the image was worth saving.  By my critical eye, this is what is wrong with the original...

- Right fender on models side is burned out.  It attracts your eye and is distracting.

- the side by the curb is too under lit even though there was a flash there.

- check out the white wall of the building on the far right behind the car.

- a little too much light on Cayley's face.

- the graffiti band across the bottom of the building is also distracting, across the top of the car.

This was a tough pic to make right.

Signature_Line_V4

#16 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

Of the two images posted I have to say I like the first.  It's not a portrait so some latitude is acceptable.  I like the way the hair colour, the jacket colour and the park light work together.

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#17 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15352 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

I haven't got s chance to sit down and look at this. Use a layer for each part.

To you comments;

- the side by the curb is too under lit even though there was a flash there.

- check out the white wall of the building on the far right behind the car.

Select the white wall and warm it up a small amount. Then warm the whole image. that way it will look like a sunset, and the dark parts would not matter.

- the graffiti band across the bottom of the building is also distracting, across the top of the car

I don't think it is bad, I like the environment stuff, I don't think it is distracting. However, for your eye, just select that part (from the yellow line on the left side) and everything form the top. Don't include the car or the model. Give that section a little more blur using the lens blur filter in PS, not much needed.

- Right fender on models side is burned out.  It attracts your eye and is distracting.

Create a levels adjustment layer, under the big main levels graph, are two (or one), reduce the white point, again not much needed. This might also fix her face, but don't count on it. The warming from above may make that not so bad.

- a little too much light on Cayley's face.

Yeah, well, that is hard to fix. Looks like you already tried to darken it? Anyways, what I have done that sometimes works, this looks to me as one of those times, some shade or dark on the side of her face. I selected the highlight, created a new layer and filled the selection with black. So, the highlight should be black. Reduce the opacity of that layer, a lot and make it with the other shadows surrounding it.

I liked the glow you had, just not what it did to the blacks. That filter has the ability to just do it to the highlights using a slider. 

I think it will work. Just my two cents, which if you add $10.00 CA, plus 60% tariff, will get you a $7 coffee at Starbucks.  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :P  B)

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users