#1 utshutterbug

utshutterbug

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Archery

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

I put a UV filter on my 18-140 lens and noticed it took 3-5 attempts before the focus locked on target correctly.......took off the filter and things worked fine.

Is that normal? If I use a filter should I be focusing manually?

Should I even bother with a UV filter.....did it mainly for lens protection but...

off the subject at hand, I attached a shot of my grandson that I am rather proud of all things considered.

Attached Files

Ed
Nikon D5200
18-140 DX AF-S Nikkor
55-300 DX AF-S Nikkor
Ya, I am new to this but I love it.

https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23708 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Never had an issue with a filter on and to be honest the only time I use a protective filter is in real rough conditions with lots of dust, sand or the possibility of salt water exposure. Most or 95% of the time I just use the lens hood and cap.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23708 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

By the way fantastic shot of your grandson, well done.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21453 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:10 PM

Excellent image.

Can't help you with your question, my lenses go naked... always.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4312 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

Art, get control of your lenses before they get arrested :lol: :P

Seriously that is odd. Never had that problem with a UV filter. Try a different brand.

For bump protection, just use a filter ring with no glass. I had an 80-200 with a UV on it that took a hit. The filter shattered and I had to have the lens disassembled and cleaned. Wasn't cheap.

Edited by justshootit, 13 July 2015 - 11:31 PM.

• Art likes this
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

Hi Ed,

Firstly, that is an excellent image!

That is unusual, what brand of UV filter?

FWIW, you do not need a UV filter on a digital camera but there are "protector filters" available to protect your lenses from a harsh environment, like salt spray, blasting sand from the wind, chemicals etc,

The best way to protect your lens is from having accidental damage clause in your insurance

If you feel happier with a filter, thats OK as well, we all have our own personal preferences (I have a 14-24 so I just try to be careful  :) )

Lastly, if you have a polarising filter, make sure it is a circular polarising filter as some linear polarising filters can cause focus problems,

I haven't seen this personally but be aware it can happen

And if you put a "high end" protective filter on a cheap lens, like the AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8, the filter may cast more than the lens!

......Gary

Edited by Gary Worrall, 14 July 2015 - 12:32 AM.

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7418 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Excellent image.

Can't help you with your question, my lenses go naked... always.

Art, you too? It must be catching. :)

Ed, like Art, I don't use protective filters anymore. I used them for the longest time - until I realized that the happiest person was the sales guy at my local camera store. PP can look after haze and I always use a lens hood.

Despite the above, filters are useful. I have several ND filters plus an ND grad. If I ever stop buying bigger toys, I'll be buying a Lee big stopper, for long exposure photography.

If you disagree, I suspect you'll have lots of company. This debate has been going on for some time. :)
  • Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7418 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Ed, I wanted to compliment you separately, for a nice image. Hopefully, you'll share it with your grandson.
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15421 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

First, nice image.

Second, well, everyone already said what I also do, not have one. I use a lens cap most all the time. And buy a new one when I lose it. I have hiked over rocky places and banged my camera and lens a few times.  B) And, while my tripod head did not survive a clusty mountain biker, my camera and lens did.

Is the filter dirty? Even a thumb print? Does it do it all the time? Your pretty near the sweet spot of a lens at f5.6. And, looking at this sample, bright sunlight, it might be possible that you got interference from smudge marks and sun going through the marks. I have never heard, or had happen to me a focus problem with a filter.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

Forgot! 

LensCoat sell neoprene covers for all size lenses, cheaper than replacing a Nikon lens cap 

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4312 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:03 AM

One place you DEFINITELY want a UV or Skylight filter is at the beach if there's high surf. It's not so bad on the Great Lakes (yes we have surf -- have seen 10-foot waves on Lake Erie), but when you're at the ocean, there's an oily / salty film that'll build up on the front element from the surf spray. Having the camera in a plastic bag and a UV on the front element can save your gear in such an environment.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#12 utshutterbug

utshutterbug

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Archery

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Lots of great information here, and for that I thank you all.....I will take note of everything, but for now I should say I ordered the filters out of desire and should have done a little homework first and saved the money. I do have lens hoods for both lenses now and will use those first and foremost. One day I will experiment with the filters just cause that's how I roll...lol

Thanks for the nice words on my grandson's image......He has seen them all.....(I took several) The black and white one I felt attracted to the most, but they all look good I think.

Edited by utshutterbug, 16 July 2015 - 11:26 AM.

Ed
Nikon D5200
18-140 DX AF-S Nikkor
55-300 DX AF-S Nikkor
Ya, I am new to this but I love it.

https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

#13 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

I think there is something else going on if you are having a hard time locking focus.  I'm not sure what focus mode you are using, but if the AF sensor is not on a good AF target, or if you are using a group of AF sensors, the camera can have a hard time with focus.  What AF settings were you using?

Just about the only time a filter is likely to affect AF accuracy is shooting into the sun with a low contrast scene or lots of lens flare.  

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#14 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

That was my thought too, Eric. Filters are tested to NOT affect focusing. My shorter lenses have filters for protection from elements. 300 and 150-600 are "hood protected."

I cringe every time I clean those huge front elements.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21453 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I am not a big fan of cleaning glass.  Something about touching them.  I typically blow dust off and only clean the odd finger print I accidentally put on it.

Signature_Line_V4

#16 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Well, my fingerprints aren't "odd" like yours, Art... they are usually just big and dirty.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users