4 replies to this topic

#1 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

What image hosting are you folks using?  I have used Photobucket in the past for non-photography forum posting purposes but obviously things have changed over there.  I never really was storing a lot of photos either so it wasn't a big deal.  But I'd like to find a place not only for forum type uses but I'm guessing having them hosted somewhere is another form of backup.

I know Smug Mug is a popular one with photographers but wondering what else is out there.  Is the google product worthwhile for example?  The photos you guys post look fantastic by the way.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20952 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

Daryl,

I don't use any service. I just upload. I did use Photobucket until they lost their minds.

Problem with services, for hosting is that when you change or cancel the service, all your links are broken. I find nothing more disappointing than finding a good post, but the images supporting it are broken.

If you stick to the forum upload parameters for posting images, there isn't much a thief can do with images under 1000px.
Signature_Line_V4

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7062 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

I know Smug Mug is a popular one with photographers but wondering what else is out there.  Is the google product worthwhile for example?  The photos you guys post look fantastic by the way.

Hi Daryl,

There are very good options out there, but I will stick to the 2 that I personally know about:  Zenfolio and Smug Mug. 

I used Zenfolio for several years.  I chose it over Smug Mug because at the time, Zenfolio made unauthorized downloads impossible.  That was super important to me.  While I wasn't too thrilled with their site building tools, that was a reasonable trade-off.  Unfortunately, as they made changes over time, I noticed that the site building tools were becoming more user-unfriendly and it was becoming more difficult to add images or galleries.  The final straw came when I tried to add my ducks gallery.  I was able to add the gallery and link it to Planet Nikon, but I couldn't add it to my main site menu.  This was despite a long afternoon of bleepety bleep bleeping and watching videos that weren't very helpful.

That led me to Smug Mug.  Over the years, they have made improvements that address all of my concerns.  As an added bonus, it is very user-friendly, with top-notch customer support.  How big a difference is it?  As an example, in the fall of 2016, I changed the look and layout of my Zenfolio site, but didn't add any new images.  I started in September and finished in December.  By contrast, it only took 10 days to design and build a web site from scratch, then add new images, using Smug Mug. 

Okay, enough free advertising for them.

Art makes an excellent point about broken links.  When he refers to broken links, he is specifically referring to my very recent experience above.  When you change hosts, any link to images on the old host gets broken.  While I only recently started to linking to my web site, restoring broken links will be an on-going project for awhile.  If you can live with that trade-off, great.  If you can't, then Art makes some excellent suggestions.

Hope this helps.  :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I've used Zenfolio for years with no complaints.

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#5 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8324 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

I have a SmugMug site, but I use it mostly to sell photos to participants in events that I shoot.  I keep my photos on my own system for storage, but have back-up drives that I store off site periodically. 

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users