BigBoy33

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Landscape Photos..

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hello there,

Im new to the forum and new to photography.. I have a D3200 I just purchased with 3 lenses (Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 55-200mm, & a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8).. I am interested mainly in landscape photography and will be headed to the ocean next week.. I guess Im looking for some advice on the best way to capture the beauty of the ocean with my new camera.. I have taken a basic "How to use my Nikon Camera" class..

I realize its a vague question but Im looking for things like: Do I need lens filters? Any cool settings I should try when there, etc..

Any help you could lend this noob would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks all, very excited to be a part of the community..

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23703 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Kind of hard to start without knowing how much you know but you have a nice wide angle lens so your good there with a very capable camera. The first thing is to take some pics and learn from trial and error plus with pictures we can look at your settings and make suggestions. Next for landscape I would invest in a nice tripod it sure does help when shooting in low light it will allow you to take pictures when your shutter speeds are to low for hand holding. Also with your camera a IR remote shutter release will also help in low light these are very cheap and worth their price in gold. Here's some questions do you know Depth of field and how it relates to the aperture setting? Are you using the scene modes or have you moved to the more advanced settings like Aperture Priority and Shutter priority? How well do you understand exposure? Once we know where you stand it will be easier to help you along and give you more than just general help. I am very glad you joined us others will chime in with more advice so hang in there I know it seems like a lot but you'll pick it up in no time. I hope my questions are not offensive just want to gauge where we need to start. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 BigBoy33

BigBoy33

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

No worries ever about offending me with questions!! Promise!! I am a true Noob! I took an ďIntro to NikonĒ class at a camera store here locally and we learned the basics about ISOís, Aperture & Shutter Speeds.. I wonít call myself an expert but I know enough to be dangerous (I think!!).. I have just been tinkering in both the Aperture & Shutter Priorities.. As well as scene mode for landscape.. Again, just shooting and seeing what looks right.. Iíve downloaded some cheat sheets to keep in my camera bag in order to reference them when the bullets are flying.. I will be getting a tripod before going out next week and considered some polarized filters in order to cut down on glare off the water & rocks.. Iíll look into a camera IR remote shutter release (cause I have no idea what that is right now! But after all, thatís what Google is for). Exposure Iím a little foggy on and as far as shot composition itís just whatever I see that looks pretty.. So any advice there would be helpful. Thanks Jim, I have been spending some quality time on the site and have learned some things in the couple of hours Ive been browsing.. Iím happy to be here!!

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

When taking shots of the water, like at a beach, be mindful of the horizon line. Also, don't make the horizon, or any other dominate line, right in the middle, more sky or more water. as a rule of thumb. And there will be times to break rules as well. And welcome.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

A polarizer filter would help. A tripos is useful if you want to do the "soft water" effect. Close the lens down as far as it will go (larger f stop number, i.e. 22) getting the slowest shutter speed. Polarizer will also help keep the speed down. Which coast. If you go East, get up for the sunrise. Try and get something in the foreground for framing. My 2 cents. Have fun. Cliff
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#6 BigBoy33

BigBoy33

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Perfect guys.. Im headed to Florida and will actually be on both sides.. Ft Lauderdale Ill make sure to get up for sunrise.. Siesta Key on the Gulf side has some of the pretties sunsets Ive ever seen.. Its actually what made me want to start taking photos.. Stay tuned!!

#7 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10379 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

CP filter does wonders! Reduces glare from water surfaces and provides terrific skies (subject to the weather man)... Best CP filters are those that are multi-coated. For very wide-angle usage consider the slim-line filters to reduce light fall-off. :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#8 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Around water there is so much reflected light, it can give your meter readings that just are not very accurate. But, with your camera, you can look to see if the the photo is too dark or too light! There were cameras that did not do that. From what you see, you can alter things to get what you'd like to get. Decide which part of the fame is most im[portant and get the exposure right for that. Most often the sky will look a lot lighter. I am a photoshop user. Do you have some software that will help you edit photos? I have found best results when I shoot until I get what I "think" I want, then shoot more exposures that appear darker. Good luck and don't pass up looking down on the beach. Phil
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#9 BigBoy33

BigBoy33

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Phil.. Yes, have Adobe Lightroom 5.. And as challenging as learing to use my camera correctly is I think that is going to be the bigger bag of snakes!! I will spend a week watching the beach and the water.. No worries there!!

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23703 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Oops the IR remote lets you trigger the shutter without touching the camera it helps reduce camera shake when mounted on a tripod using slow shutter speeds. It's a remote for your camera like we need more remotes :P . Plus it's nice if you want to be in the picture without having to run around the camera with the delayed timer set. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users