Photo

Understanding ISO-AUTO (ISO sensitivity auto control)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

I just wrote a blog about using ISO-AUTO, or the ISO sensitivity auto control as it is officially known these days. It is based on the Nikon D300/D300s, but applies to most other Nikon DSLRs with only minor changes.

This is a commonly misunderstood function, and I hope this sheds some light on how it works:

http://darrellyoung....ensitivity.html

Hope you enjoy it. Comments?
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:01 AM

Having spoken to some of the local press/football photographers they use Auto ISO with the camera in manual mode with their D3/D3s bodies. It allows them to set a specific shutter speed/aperture combination for the sort of shot they're after and leave the rest to the camera. As noise is not an issue with these bodies and the stuff will end up in a newspaper they just don't care about it. I have used it from time to time with the D200 when I'm out with the kids and don't mind what the results are like so long as I can just 'snap' away but the range of ISO I could get away with was limited to say the least. This is one of the things I'm really looking forward to when my insurance company finally pull their finger out and get me a new camera.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#3 Mickaisy

Mickaisy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Photography of course! And rockin the upright bass.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

Great information as always Darrel. i believe you also explained this in my mastering the d5000 book. BP: I understand how sports photographers would use auto ISO, but i am surprised to hear they do manual shooting. i figure they would want to use some sort of the Auto Focus rather than manual focusing for those key moments and continuous shooting. Unless you can lock the manual focus setting i guess, but i don't know a thing about the powerful D3.
d5000 DSLR!

18-55mm vr nikkor lens
55-200mm vr nikkor lens which decided to stop working :(

#4 Charlie Choc

Charlie Choc

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Photography, fly fishing, camping, Habitat for Humanity

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Great information as always Darrel. i believe you also explained this in my mastering the d5000 book.

BP: I understand how sports photographers would use auto ISO, but i am surprised to hear they do manual shooting. i figure they would want to use some sort of the Auto Focus rather than manual focusing for those key moments and continuous shooting. Unless you can lock the manual focus setting i guess, but i don't know a thing about the powerful D3.

Manual mode doesn't preclude auto-focus, it's just manually setting shutter speed and aperture. Manual focus is another setting, on the lens instead of the camera.
--
Charlie...
stalking light

D3s, D700, D200
17-35mm f/2.8, 28-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II, 60mm micro, 105mm VR micro, 80-400mm VR, 28-300mm VR

#5 Jack

Jack

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scuba, reading

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

Manual mode doesn't preclude auto-focus, it's just manually setting shutter speed and aperture. Manual focus is another setting, on the lens instead of the camera.

So you're saying I can use Manual Mode on my D200 camera for speed and aperture, and set the lens to Auto Focus?

D300

D2Xs

35 f/1.8

50 f/1.8

18-55VR
18-105VR
18-105AF
Tokina 11-16

Tamron 28-75
4 or 5 Lowepro  bags
Daiwa Hi-Ace 400 tripod
Manfrotto 055CL Pro tripod
Several Yongnuo speed lights

Jinbei 600 strobe

Have a nice day.........unless you have other plans ;)

#6 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

So you're saying I can use Manual Mode on my D200 camera for speed and aperture, and set the lens to Auto Focus?

thats right jack, you can. Manual mode pertains to exposure only. Mf/af is controlled by the switch on your lens. Happy shooting!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#7 Jack

Jack

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scuba, reading

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

thats right jack, you can. Manual mode pertains to exposure only. Mf/af is controlled by the switch on your lens. Happy shooting!

Thank you, Sir! That's what I thought, and you just confirmed it! :)

D300

D2Xs

35 f/1.8

50 f/1.8

18-55VR
18-105VR
18-105AF
Tokina 11-16

Tamron 28-75
4 or 5 Lowepro  bags
Daiwa Hi-Ace 400 tripod
Manfrotto 055CL Pro tripod
Several Yongnuo speed lights

Jinbei 600 strobe

Have a nice day.........unless you have other plans ;)

#8 Charlie Choc

Charlie Choc

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Photography, fly fishing, camping, Habitat for Humanity

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Correct.
--
Charlie...
stalking light

D3s, D700, D200
17-35mm f/2.8, 28-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II, 60mm micro, 105mm VR micro, 80-400mm VR, 28-300mm VR

#9 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

Tks Darrell, Ever since I moved from film to digital, I've had trouble stepping out of the "comfort zone" In the old wedding days, the incident meter hanging around my neck was only for looks ;) Used it against the white dress just see if the meter was still working OK ;) The arrival of the D700 changed everything, soon found out the "shoot high ISO without impunity" was an expression used rather loosly by skilled digital users and the dynamic range can end in tears for the uninitiated I had a quick try a while back with limited success, I should re-visit this option now I have more confidence with the camera Regards, Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users