Photo

Peak Design Capture Pro v2 - Anybody got one?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Anybody got one, if so are you happy with it, what are the pros and cons?

https://www.peakdesi...ips/capturepro/

I'd be getting this version if I decide I need one:

medium_37653-ccc-20PA-Modular-Capture-Ca

Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24113 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Very cool! I do not have one but had a Peak wrist strap that I lost it was really well made.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15832 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have the wrist strap and the sling. I seen this, but not sure about it.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

I've got the Sling and Cuff too. They are great. The Sling is an excellent strap. The only downside is that it's bulky.

I like the idea of the Capture but I'm not entirely convinced that it's worth the investment because it is quite expensive.

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#5 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

I discovered that Peak Design's new Capture lens kit, which is something I would definitely like to use because it addresses a need I've had for many years, uses the Capture mount to work.

https://youtu.be/uypx0kTRVEo

Also there is a Gopro mount that works with Capture.

https://youtu.be/k5k1IBRY32c

These two kits are an added expense of course but they add to Capture's functionality and may make it a worthwhile investment.

#6 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

There's a cheap copy of the Peak Design Capture on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...opro arca mount

It might be okay but personally, while I like to save money is be afraid to have over a thousand dollars worth of gear dangling from a cut price Chinese copy, it could be false economy. Might be okay for a Gopro though.

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24113 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

There's a cheap copy of the Peak Design Capture on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...opro arca mount

It might be okay but personally, while I like to save money is be afraid to have over a thousand dollars worth of gear dangling from a cut price Chinese copy, it could be false economy. Might be okay for a Gopro though.

Agree sometimes penny wise is pound foolish. I tend to be cautious when it comes to anything that will hold a load especially my camera gear.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

I thought I might as well give the Capture Pro with the Arca Swiss plate a try as a reputable UK company were offering quite a good discount at the moment on one. It's more than double the price of the knock off version but at least I'll have the peace of mind that it passed Peak Design's quality control.

I might really take to this product or it might just end up being something that gets put in the back of my gear drawer and pulled out now and again. 

It will definitely be something I can use with a GoPro and if I buy the Lens Kit it will be very useful indeed. In fact that is something I can really see myself using. The Lens Kit is quite new and not many stores are selling it in the UK yet so I want to give it a bit more time for prices to come down or any design faults to be uncovered.

Mounting the Capture Pro to the top of a monopod might be a cool way to use it too. I won't be able to do portrait orientation with it though if I stick it directly on.

Capture-Clip-Pro-on-monopod.jpg

So I'll see how I get on with it.

This is the Lens Kit that can attach to the Capture Pro mount

Peak-Design-CaptureLens-b_d.jpg

It's quite similar to the Lens Flipper but doesn't cost much more here in the UK (in the UK it's not called Lens Flipper). Lens Flipper isn't quite the same though and I don't like the design of it as much as I do the Peak Design Lens Kit. 

Here the Lens Flipper is marketed under the Andoer brand, a Chinese outfit. Here's a picture of it.

611JdI8ltUL._SL1000_.jpg

If nothing else the Arca Swiss plate is nice. LOL

I guess the closest competition to the Capture Pro is the SpiderPro Holster which I don't like at all personally. It looks like a quality product and I don't want to speak bad of it but I just don't like the design or the way it functions.

SpiderPro-Camera-Holster.jpg

SpiderPro-Camera-Holster-with-Pro-body-a

I'm sure it's great for some photographers but not me. Oh, and it's about double the price. 

#9 Ron W

Ron W

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7515 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:32 AM

An impressive product, seems to be very well designed.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22197 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

I have seen it advertised, looks cool, but not a method I prefer.

Signature_Line_V4

#11 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Looks sturdy.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24113 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

That is a nice looking rig!

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

Okay I got the Capture Pro v2 with the Arca Swiss plate. There are few versions of the Capture Pro with different plates, one can be converted to fit Manfrotto's quick release system - RC2.

Things didn't go well on its maiden voyage today. I was trying to find a good spot to attach it to my backpack strap when the head of one of the attachment screws flew off. This was obviously a manufacturing defect. 

Below is a picture of the screw, head, the shank of the screw and the spring that fell out.

IMG_20160207_103058_zps9fhhqbnl.jpg

As you can see the head of the screw wasn't soldered in correctly and it worked itself loose. 

I emailed the company that sold the clip to me explaining what had happened and sent them this photo. To my surprise they emailed back on the same Sunday to say they would send out a replacement screw right away. They also made a video to show me how to put the spring back into my Capture Pro plate.

https://youtu.be/Gk8BVuxHq2c

Hopefully this was just a freak lapse in quality control at Peak Design's factory. Peak Design do have a lifetime warranty so they will take care of any issues like this one. I think I'll be contacting them directly to let them know the issue I had so that they are aware of it. 

So I can't give you much of a review about how this product is to use because I didn't actually get chance to use it, it broke before I got it configured. 

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24113 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Scary but good customer service so I hope its a one off thing.

Keep us informed rebel, thanks.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#15 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

The new screw arrived today. I hope that it's all uphill from here. 🙂

#16 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24113 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

Let us know how it goes!

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#17 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

Looks sturdy.

According to the specs it can take up to 90 kilos or 200 lbs  weight. That should cover most cameras I hope. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users