• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Yo Yo..started working as photog/videog and will be getting a new cammy soon. Der 605 has been awesome but upgrades must come..soooooooooo need some advice.

I have the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200mm so a good cammy is needed.

Comments..

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

I can't argue with the great photos Herman takes with his 810!

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10323 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Jazz, a tricky time of the year to be asking this question. Just imagine a D820 with 4K video being launched before Christmas.

I think you would kick yourself...

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my D810...  Take a look at the DPReview.com specifications comparison and see which is most suited for your requirements.

Good luck with your choice!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

The D750 is a great body but its not a Pro body and that for me is the decider.

Its all the little things that add up that make a D810 the better choice - flash sync, no low-pass, base iso, mode button, AF-ON and the body itself. 

If you're going to chuck this sort of money about and remember you're making this your primary income earning device there is no point is making do.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:55 PM

While I agree, get the pro body. I would rent the 810 now. There might be an upgrade before the end of the year. But, get to see if it will work out for you.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7025 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

810.... :)

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21226 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

Jazz,

You are doing PRO work..... get a pro body.

D810 is a phenomenal camera, but I am with Herman on this.... wait for the D820.

You can RENT in the meantime.  Some expense and inconvenience, but worth the wait, if it happens.

If I was billing people on a regular basis and I made my living from Photography .... D5.

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

PJ, I go along with the school of thought that says if you are doing Pro work, get a Pro body.  I have been more than pleased with the D810.  I am amazed at the low noise levels I get when I push ISO to 12,800 for interior photography.  If you don't want to wait for a D820, I recommend the D810 without reservation.  :D

Art mentioned the D5.  I hear great things about that body, but I also understand that it is aimed at a different user (i.e. news and sports) than bodies like the D500 or D810.  If you think that it's capabilities might be closer to what you need, then your dilemma is solved.  :)

I hesitate to recommend waiting for the release of a D820.  While the D810 is due for an upgrade, the D300s languished for many years before the D500 came along.  You might be waiting for a LONG time.  Second, in recent years, Nikon has had a troubling history of QC issues with new DSLRs.  Der 605 is a prime example.

Perhaps you can buy some time by renting a D810 and billing it to your clients?  Not a good long-term solution, but if Nikon doesn't roll out a D820 by January, buying a D810 won't seem like a bad idea.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

Thanks all.

Nikon 810....... I am going to rent soon.

Will let you know.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21226 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

PJ,

Not a good long-term solution, but if Nikon doesn't roll out a D820 by January, buying a D810 won't seem like a bad idea.  :)

AND ....

The price might go DOWN!!

You never know....  :D

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

Sometimes the prices do go down, when Soundcraft stopped making the 324 Live digital mixing console I got one new for $999, and MSRP was near $5000

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#12 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

I've used both the D750 and D810.  The controls and some of the functionality is better on the D810.  The D750 does have a slight advantage in the AF system.

For highest quality images, I'd take the D810.  For a backup camera, the D750 does the job nicely.

I'd consider a refurbished D810.  The camera has been on the market a while, and if you keep your eyes out for deals, the refurbished D810 would be a great choice and save $1000 or more.  You might be able to buy a refurb and get a year warranty by using a credit card that has extended warranty benefits.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users