15 replies to this topic

#1 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6649 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

This is a shot that I took right after I got the D850. I processed it this morning using the new Lightroom Classic. D850, Nikkor 600 lens

Attached Files

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6503 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Excellent shot Ron.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

Nice, did you notice a difference between the nDNG version and this?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6649 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Thank you Peter.

#5 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6649 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Dennis, I can't discern any difference, but my eyes aren't all that good anymore.

#6 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

Nice image.

I have not noticed a difference with DNG files and Classic, but my workflow is much better.  The bloat of having and managing additional DNG files was killing me.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Ron, 

Nice capture.

How are you enjoying the D850?

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#8 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6503 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

I installed the LR Classic and tried the small pile of 850 NEFs... it converted all to DNG on import... so I am not sure that LR Classic can really handle the NEFs directly or not.  Also LR Classic ...although claiming to be an "update" to my LR6 is not really just an update ... I dutifully clicked on update and after it had done its thing said "continue with trial" ..ie more money would be required at some later date after the trial period...bugger. so I immediately "uninstalled" but of course it uninstalled all of LR...back to zero. So I bit the bullet and signed up to the drip feed...$NZ17.56/month....ah well :rolleyes:

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

I installed the LR Classic and tried the small pile of 850 NEFs... it converted all to DNG on import... so I am not sure that LR Classic can really handle the NEFs directly or not.  Also LR Classic ...although claiming to be an "update" to my LR6 is not really just an update ... I dutifully clicked on update and after it had done its thing said "continue with trial" ..ie more money would be required at some later date after the trial period...bugger. so I immediately "uninstalled" but of course it uninstalled all of LR...back to zero. So I bit the bullet and signed up to the drip feed...$NZ17.56/month....ah well :rolleyes:

That answers my question, Peter.  So, the install Lightroom CC is just another way to pry some cash out of our wallets.  I'll stick with Lightroom Classic CC.

How do you like the D850?  :)   

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6649 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Peter, my LR "Classic" handled the NEFs directly. I had the CC feature to begin with however.

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, same me, I never loaded LRCC, but the classic just uses the NEF files.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6649 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Ron, 

Nice capture.

How are you enjoying the D850?

Art, I really like the 850 with the limited exposure* I've had to it. I plan to use it at the Daytona TransAm race next month, and then lots of bird photography. To tell you the truth, I'm really enjoying the 200-500VR lens with the D500 handheld for birds, so it's hard to put that combo down. *a photography pun I'm going to try to get some shots of the Milky Way early in the morning next week when the cold front passes, so that will be fun and a good trial for the D850. I'm waiting for the battery grip that I ordered as I've already spent the money for a new EN-EL18b battery and charger.

#13 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6503 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

That answers my question, Peter.  So, the install Lightroom CC is just another way to pry some cash out of our wallets.  I'll stick with Lightroom Classic CC.

How do you like the D850?  :)   

Negative  Mark... LR Classic CC(desk top version) wants the drip feed money as well,  LR6 does not 'upgrade' it is replaced  :wacko: ... And the D850 is pretty wonderful... haven't got many miles on it yet :wub:

#14 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6503 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Peter, my LR "Classic" handled the NEFs directly. I had the CC feature to begin with however.

I found how to stop the DNG conversion... in the Import screen just click on the options up top middle... 'before' you start importing anything... if I knew I should have tried that on LR6..if it had that option, before I killed it.... :rolleyes:...But at least I have dehaze built in now.

#15 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8228 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

I installed the Classic and love it.  Overall processing is improved.  The Sharpening and Noise functions are greatly improved.  The screen rendering in Develop is much faster, especially when you are going through the images in order as the predictive rendering speeds things up.  

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#16 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22562 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

I installed the Classic and love it.  Overall processing is improved.  The Sharpening and Noise functions are greatly improved.  The screen rendering in Develop is much faster, especially when you are going through the images in order as the predictive rendering speeds things up.  

Agree it is a lot faster and the time it took to backup my catalog was super fast. 

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users