• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Currently I have my photo's printed at Mpix. I've had pretty good success with them but was wondering where other people have their's printed.
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#2 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8228 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have used Mpix, Bay Photo, and Shutterfly. Mostly for specialty items, like calendars, cups, books, etc. I did some team pictures through Bay Photo and they came out alright. For myself I print at home with an Epson R260. Been contemplating a wide carriage printer, but that's outside of my budget right now. Cliff
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5294 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm sort of spoiled as I work in a photography store so have a Fuji Frontier Mini Lab to play with, all printing the services our company offer and as of last week a dirty great big Canon printer sitting on my shop floor.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm sort of spoiled as I work in a photography store so have a Fuji Frontier Mini Lab to play with, all printing the services our company offer and as of last week a dirty great big Canon printer sitting on my shop floor.

Mr Show Off :P

I don't have a printer at home.

I don't work in a fancy photo shop.

and I am almost embarrassed to say, I do my 4x6 printing at Costco! OK, don't judge me, I mostly like looking at my digital images on the computer.

I have an upscale place nearby that does work for pro's that I plan on taking some of my stuff to this month! That should redeem me. :D

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Mr Show Off :P

My sentiments exactly!

I use two little independent guys for all my enlargements. One has been in the game for 30 years and knows all there is to know, the other has beautiful fine art papers, giclee archival inks. Both do a great job and will print test strips while you hang around so you know you are getting what you want. One of them even lets me tweak my images using his software so I can get it exactly how I like it.

Unless you are BP then I think it is great to search for an independent. The results I have had from larger operations are always too inconsistent!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#6 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8400 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

I have an Epson 3880 and would not be without it.
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#7 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6503 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

My home printer is so old now (5 years)it doesn't make good prints any more so if I want photo's printed I go to my Harvey Norman shop (australasian chain store) where I have a 'VIP' membership (discounts)and get photo's printed there... not that I print many. If I want anything special (for competition) we have a couple of members at the camera club who run the Christchurch 'Photo Warehouse' store and I would get them to print it. Peter
Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

http://blackandwhitelab.com/ I have been using this lab, they are an independent lab and they are very nice to work with.

PS; this mom and pop lab went out of business.

Edited by Dennis, 06 August 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have an Epson 1900, 13 inch paper, and I do print 8X10s and 11X13s and 13 X19s. However, I send most of my printing jobs to my local Sam's via the web. .17 for 4X6 is smallest and 8.95 for a 20X30. Most of my orders are for sports, but they print'em as I send them. They use FujiColor equipment and their 36 inch printer is Epson. It makes my record keeping real easy using Sam's. Phil
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#10 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the feed back.
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#11 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have an Epson 1900, 13 inch paper, and I do print 8X10s and 11X13s and 13 X19s. However, I send most of my printing jobs to my local Sam's via the web. .17 for 4X6 is smallest and 8.95 for a 20X30. Most of my orders are for sports, but they print'em as I send them. They use FujiColor equipment and their 36 inch printer is Epson. It makes my record keeping real easy using Sam's. Phil

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

Nikon D3 bodies X 2 (two) and One (1) D3s fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Minolta 9000s with motor drives (part of my old film-based gear)
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#12 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

How is Sams at holding your colors in check? Is their color correction decent? I ran sone quickie orints thru their big brother (wally world). They were ok considering how they were printed.

Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#13 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

I correct the colors at home and check a box on the site to NOT correct images. They have had to do a few reprints because they messed-up, but that is not the norm.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22562 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

I'm lucky I have a very good local lab and for large volumn stuff believe it or not my local Costco does a very good job at a great price. Plus they also do large cardboard prints that are excellent.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#15 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

I may have to send a few files to them for evaluating their work. I just got back 5 sample prints from ProDPI, and I was really impressed with their work. I ask them to not color correct so that I could see how well their printing matched my display. Considering that I didn't use their icc profile the end result was spot on in most cases. I had one that was tad bit off, but it was something that I knew was problematic. Thanks for the info...

Edited by gregc, 10 March 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19343 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Being a member of three photo clubs, I get discounts at several places but love Blicks on 12th Chesnut. They ship out as well.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

My Costco does a pretty good job as well, typically take images in when they have a sale.  Paper quality could be a touch better, but for the price, I am not complaining.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#18 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

I exclusively use White House Custom Color. They have never let me down. Excellent customer service when there is a problem. Only downside to WHCC for pro's is non professionals can use them. Their prices are public on their website. So not a good idea to let your clients know who you are using, or they will want to know why you are charging $40 for $2 8x10! Another lab I recommend is H&H. They have a few unique products WHCC does not and equal quality and service.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#19 gophillies74

gophillies74

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I love taking and processing my pictures however the printing process causes me a great deal of stress.....I hate it. I like to really enlarge my pictures. It would be great to have a D810 to make enlarging a lot easier but that would also enlarge my debt. Recently met with a local sign maker. He claims he can blow my pictures up with no problem and low cost.... My fingers are crossed!!

#20 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

It's easy to share images online and miss the value of prints.  The web covers up a lot of flaws, but it also has its place.  I have some images that look great on the web, but not in print.

I print most of my own images on my Epson Stylus Pro 4900.  It's a very good printer, but can clog if not used regularly.  It handles paper on rolls up to 17 inches wide, and sheets for heavier papers and other materials.  Inks are state of the art.  Replacement inks cost about $90 per cartridge - and there are 11 cartridges. There is some real value in high quality prints on custom paper selections.  I get immediate feedback on print quality - and can reprint immediately if I'm not satisfied.

For regular prints, I use MPix through my Zenfolio website.  I have accounts at MPix Pro, BayPhoto, and Shutterfly and use each of them from time to time.  

I use MPix via Zenfolio for regular prints in standard smaller sizes.  These are standard prints on standard papers.  Cost of printing and fulfillment is kept low, and I am able to painlessly turn around prints from events, or quick smaller copies of my fine art work.  My goal is to make it easy for my clients to get economy prints.

I also offer self fulfilled custom prints through my website on Zenfolio.  In this case it is to make it easy for someone to order and pay for a fine art custom print.  These prints are at a significantly higher price and are self fulfilled.  I choose the high quality paper that works for the image - an Exhibition Fiber, Baryta, or a Premium Luster.

I am just starting to offer some acrylic prints - prints on an acrylic material.  They are through Zenfolio and my website but prices as custom prints.

For canvas, I use BayPhoto.  I don't do a lot of canvas printing and like the individual attention.  They make sure your images are printed well - and contact you if there is an issue.  I rate the quality of BayPhoto above MPix.  

For 4x6 prints from vacation, I either use Zenfolio for convenience, or Shutterfly.  I tend to use Zenfolio because of the choice of papers and to let me proof images that will be sold in larger sizes.  If the images are just family snapshots to share, I use Shutterfly because it's cheaper.  I rate Zenfolio above Shutterfly for quality, but for 4x6 snapshots its perfectly adequate.  

I use Shutterfly for specialty items like family calendars and quick books.  Shutterfly offers a lot of promotions and discounts that further reduce cost.

I use Blurb for high end books.  Blurb has a very high quality product and good support tools for design and layout of photos and type.  I typically do 1-2 high quality books per year.

I see a real difference between the quality of prints from different places.  You get what you pay for.  I've used Costco and Sams in the past.  I'd rate Costco better, but both are economy printers with high volume production.  The quality does not match what I get from MPix or BayPhoto.  I think my own prints are the best I can produce, but it's because of the ability to fine tune color on the spot, and to choose my own papers.  Paper makes a big difference in large prints.

Some prints are difficult to render properly - particularly night scenes or scenes captured at high ISO levels.  I find printing my own work makes a bigger difference on these images.

I set my own pricing and people only see my prices.  I think that's important for client work or events.  Everything has a markup with conscious price points.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#21 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1697 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

I have an Epson 1900 that I use at home. I have also used Richmond Pro Labs and Blurb. Had a photo album made of my trip to Arizona 2 years ago made with Blurb.

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users