#1 indio85

indio85

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

the question is quite simple...but the answer is a big ?

I'm in San Francisco, I have studied film photography and now I'm trying to get in bussiness with portrait and headshot, I have a dark room a medium format camera a studio with a good set of light and I'm about to buy a digital camera for color work... but how let  know at the people that I'm HERE???

Please don't say to me with craiglist, I think is a good way to drop your bussinnes in a Limbo.

Thank you.

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19344 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

If there is a training course in your area, I would attend this course to get all the legal aspect along with the current ways of business startup. Business cards, flyers with contact info, website showing your skill sets (med format camera, portrait images). This is just a few thoughts of mine as I will go through the same motions soon.

Other PNers will provide some good info.

Check this out ...http://shuttercliq.c...business-part1/

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14332 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

Yes, samples, website is a good start.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have a Photographers marketing handbook that is full of magazine/media contact information and it tells you specifically, how to market yourself. It is about 3" thick, full of information that will greatly assist you IF you are prepared to do the HARD WORK. This book is publish for just such a guy as you, an excellent tool. Currently at the office, I will try to find it and post a link where you can but it when I get home tonight.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to the link you post Art.

I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19344 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Me too... :rolleyes:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#7 indio85

indio85

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

At the moment I'm making a web site and try to build a network among the actors, just for now I'm shooting for free because I'm making my portfolio and if they like the pics they can make some good publicity for me on their website.

Also, in addiction of the digital file, I gift a free black and withe print.

About retouching... should I retouch (...minimal retouch like withe balance and color balance) the digital picture by myself or go through service as Colorworks?

If you are curius to see some of my shoot here there are 2 pics that i made 3 day ago at one actor, he was very kind and a good model.

Sorry for the immage quality, I took them with my phone because the pics are too big for be scanned, they are 2 print that I made in the dark room.

The light is controlled just by a reflector pannel, but in few day I should get my new Kino flo light for some more controlled light.

Attached Files

Edited by indio85, 06 March 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#8 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19344 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Looks like a progress step. retouching will depend on what color modes and type image this is. Can we see a B&W version?

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi Everyone, 

Here is the book!!

Attached File  photobook.jpg   345.48KB   0 downloads

You can find it here:

http://www.bookdepos...c/9781599636139

Free World Wide Shipping:  $32

I have the book as you can see..... it is a great place to start if you are serious.  Lots of ideas, companies, links etc for you to market yourself too.

NOTE: 

Do not delude yourself, if you are starting out, you will face a few LEAN years in ANY business until you establish yourself, advertise and get some word of mouth in.  

Good luck, I hope this information is of some benefit.

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

Excellent portraits!  Forgot to mention that! :)

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Wow, already DATED!!!

Go here:

2014 version is now available... $31.00

http://www.bookdepos...c/9781440329425

Get the most current version of the book!!

#12 indio85

indio85

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Looks like a progress step. retouching will depend on what color modes and type image this is. Can we see a B&W version?

I'm sorry but I did't understand your question...

thank you so much Art, I'm going to buy it.

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Indio

You are very welcome, any time.  More than happy to help you! 

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22565 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

Thanks Art!

Jim

I think we should all hire Jazz as our agent/promoter! :D

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Your welcome, Jim.

Indio,

I think you will be very happy with the book.  It lists magazines, stock photo services, agencies etc.  You could and should spend a month getting your information out.  I think if you work the data in this book, you are off to a good start.

Note, you should have some sort of portfolio and web presence as well to get in front of potential clients at a moments notice as well.

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19344 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I'm sorry but I did't understand your question...

thank you so much Art, I'm going to buy it.

I was just asking can u make the image Black and White?

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#17 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19344 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Adding to my library...

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

I should get a commission

#19 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Make use of social media sites. I have a website, but I also extend my business presence to facebook and a few other places. Get a business card done ASAP if you've not done so to date. Make as many ties back to your work as a photographer as you possibly can (for example my license plate reads: SNAPER5) Nooooo, not that kind. Sometimes men pull up along side of ny truck like they were expecting to see a female driver... Go figure!!

Edited by gregc, 11 March 2014 - 09:30 AM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

Nikon D3 bodies X 2 (two) and One (1) D3s fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Minolta 9000s with motor drives (part of my old film-based gear)
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#20 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19572 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

set up a web site Tie into social media (can't believe I am typing this!) like Facebook and others ---tie into everything including sites like 500px...free to use, show off best work Set up a Blog on your web site and keep it current, this will keep the search engines scanning your site Do you have money? GOOGLE WORDS may help you initially, to get noticed...cost $$$ Get ready to spend a lot of time self promoting....be subtle and no over the top, let your work speak for itself

#21 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Marketing photography is not a one size fits all activity.  You need to be specific about your target market - and where you expect to get customers.  If you are targeting people for portraits - what is your specific market?  Are you looking to photograph high school seniors, kids, business executives, athletes, or even artists?  Word of mouth is important - but only if people in your market are talking to others in your market.  You want to concentrate building awareness with the people who either are potential customers or people who know your customers.  I know a photographer in a small town that sells $450,000 per year worth of senior portraits.  It's 75% of his business and his average client spends more than $3000.  

Think about whether you have a market or need to attract one.  Social media may be fine for showing other students the great senior photos you took of one of their classmates.  But it might not work at all for other markets.  

You need to build a portfolio of great images that represent ideas for your clients.  What makes your images different from any other photographer.  Are you shooting outdoor portraits or indoors?

All this takes time.  Since your time is limited, you need to be targeted.  Choose the channels that fit your audience.  If they use Facebook - you use Facebook.  If they use word of mouth - you build a network and ask people to make recommendations.  If you need an email list - start building it with the people that know you and your photography.

Figure out the business development strategies that work best.  Try something 100 times and assess results.  If it works, do it 1000 times and continue to assess.  If 1 in 100 will hire you, figure out how to either efficiently reach another 100 or increase the odds to 5 out of 100.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#22 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14332 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I agree with Eric, the target needs to know, and you need to know how they look for you. networks, be it people, social or all three. Do, you have a portfolio? that the starting point. And your in SF, so what makes your portraits any better than these http://www.thumbtack...-photographers/

That's what I'm doing now. I'm checking the market, what is offered. I'm exploring my style, and how it fits in, and where it needs to be better. I've been doing this for 30 some years, and one thing I know for sure is, that you can always improve.

Show us what you got? We are pretty good group of folks that will help you and not just knock it.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#23 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19344 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Good replies, I am gonna stick with this posting.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#24 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

You find where your clients follow on Twitter. Then you tweet there also, sharing info.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#25 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I think all the replies give a very good consensus of what one might look at to shore up a broader customer base At the end of the day its whatever will gain  you greater exposure that will be key in opening up to gates imo. There is certainly only one wrong way and that is doing nothing . As stated what doesn't work for one photographer may certainly work for another.

I remember taking a subscription to advertise in a small pamphlet that you would find in grocery store chains. While it looked pretty I never really made money from it, but it was a way to gain visibility. ^_^  ^_^

Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#26 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

1) website 2) word of mouth. Friends, colleagues, waitresses, anyone who will listen! 3) business cards with a professionally design logo. Checkout www.logodesignteam.com 4) Facebook. At least your friends will see what you are doing and may be spread the word. 5) Google Adwords. This costs money. Can cost a lot of money. But you control the monthly budget. Note that generally for photography print ads, direct mailers, etc. do not work. In San Francisco, you have a lot of competition, and good completion. Need to find your niche and a way to stand out.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#27 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Note that generally for photography print ads, direct mailers, etc. do not work.

DITTO!!..Did that once just to see what affect it would have, because of the base they were marketing to.  Would not recommend it either.  

In San Francisco, you have a lot of competition, and good completion. Need to find your niche and a way to stand out.

I understand but would you agree that in most all cases there is enough work as a photog to go around? The problem as I see it extends into the fact that specialized work is limited in scope, because those areas may only be able to support so many pros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users