8 replies to this topic

#1 gophillies74

gophillies74

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

I wasn't aware that as soon as the spray adhesive tacks there is no room for error, once the print and foamcore touch it's as good as cemented. I have seen where people buy a larger piece of foamcore to allow for cutting away the excess but unfortunately I have precut 10x15 foamcore for 10x15 prints....Any suggestions to make proper placement easier would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks

#2 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Start at the corner and go slow and steady. Line up an edge at a corner and slowly smooth the print down onto the foam core. You may still have to trim a little but maybe only a millimeter. And if you do have to trim, use a new SHARP xacto blade and a METAL ruler to trim along. Don't try to cut the whole way through the first pass, and for goodness sakes, don't cut your finger. I know all this from experience. Way too much experience.:angry: I was in a hurry once and took the tips off a finger and thumb with the xacto. Not only did it hurt, I bled all over the print and had to make another. Do you have any idea what fixer feels like on an open bleeding wound?
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#3 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

John, Why not use dry mounting? Much more forgiving than spray mounting. Peter

Edited by Peter, 10 July 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19603 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I wasn't aware that as soon as the spray adhesive tacks there is no room for error, once the print and foamcore touch it's as good as cemented. I have seen where people buy a larger piece of foamcore to allow for cutting away the excess but unfortunately I have precut 10x15 foamcore for 10x15 prints....Any suggestions to make proper placement easier would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks

I have done a lot of mounting and I use 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. I absolutely do not recommend you do this and expect to get the best results the first time out, you will be greatly disappointed. There is ZERO margin of error as the tack begins almost on contact. Once that happens, you are committed for good or bad.

If you absolutely have to go this route, you have to practise first and still, the success/failure ratio is not good. Terry's suggestions are good ones. I have found once you tack down an edge and it is square, work from the centre out. Getting the air out and keeping it smooth are everything. A roller is a really good tool and you have to work fast.

If you spray unevenly, this will show up as lumps! Keep the can at least one foot away and constantly move it side to side to avoid too much glue in one spot.

Dry mount is much better, as Peter suggests.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 gophillies74

gophillies74

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

I may just ditch the mounting all together. My main goal is to make the print more solid for easier Presentation and handling so just using foam core or cardboard for backing in a plastic bag would achieve the same result with less of a chance of a ruined print.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14349 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

If this is just to put a backing on it, there is mounting tape. Wedding photographers supplies, but you should be able to get it at mounting supplies. It is like two sided 3M tape, but does not become permanent on first contact. Actually, it will dry up and fall off in a year or two. But, you place it on the corners of the print you want mounted, and then place (lightly) the print. This mounting tape works well for wedding books, as one would also place a mat frame over the print, so the tape is holding from underneath, the frame matte from the front. I have used this site for some ideas http://www.framedest...e_mounting.html I have heard that scrap book folks use this type of tape; http://www.amazon.co...o mounting tape Just need to be sure it is archival, or acid free.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

I use a Colourmount PH neutral self adhesive board and an ink roller. This gives me flawless results and it really isn't hard. The board comes with a peel back layer over the adhesive. Just slit a little channel right down the centre of the peel back layer about 10mm thick. This gives you a small area of adhesive which you can move your print around on until its positioned correctly. Then you must peel back the self adhesive layer FROM THE CENTRE OUTWARDS! That is the important bit! Peel it back a couple of inches at a time and use your sparkly new ink roller to flatten the image out as you go. Once again, do this from the centre out. It is important that you use the ink roller efficiently or you will end up with air bubbles in your print. From my experience dry mounting is an excellent way to mount dark room prints but printer inks don't seem to react so well to the process. Be very careful if you go this route. The simplest option of all is just to print your images onto really nice thick papers, which most of the time cuts out the need for spray/dry mounting anyway. Hope that's helpful and Good luck!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#8 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8231 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

When using contact cement for other counter tops, they placed dowels on the base and then aligned the Formica over it. When aligned they pull the dowels out one at a time. Don't know if that will help you. OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3201 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have some hardware clamps.(.99 @ Big Lots) You can squeeze em and hold the photo in place with 3 across the top. I pad them so they don't injure photo. Lift photo and clamp bottom to hold it up. I apply the stick'em and use my wife's rolling pin to roll the print. I can do this on 13X19. 20X30s need more clamps and a lot more time.
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users