• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

I've owned the AIs version of this lens for nearly 40 years,  I've used it on my manual focus, AF, and at times, my digital cameras.

I thought I'd add one of the AF versions of the venerable lens, and my local used dealer happened to have an AF version (180mm f/2.8D AF-ED).  The price was reasonable, so I made it mine.  A few test shots with my D610, and I was set to go.

I can hand hold when necessary, but prefer mono- and tripods for best stability.  The new 180, of course, doesn't come with one.  However, after doing some measuring, I discovered it has the same outside diameter as my Nikkor 70-200 f/4 zoom.  The 70-200 lacks a collar, but I found one made by Vello, and it's provided a lot of stability when i really want to use a support.  I removed the collar from my zoom and test fitted it to the 180.  Perfect match, fits like it was designed for the lens.  It fits nicely between the model engraving and the distance scale.  Jumped on the B&H web site, ordered the collar, and it should be here by Monday or Tuesday.

The need for a tripod collar for either lens is likely marginal under most well lit conditions, but if you need a solution for your 180 or the 70-200 f/4, the Vello works fine.

Best,

Dennis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users