2 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Nikon has released updates to Capture NX-D and View NX-i.  The new version of Capture NX-D has brought back Control Points - essentially the same feature that was in Capture NX2 developed by Nik and known as U Point.

Here is a link to combined updates for both programs:

I've downloaded the program and done some quick testing.  It works quite well.  As before, it's not the most intuitive program and edits are maintained in a proprietary sidecar, but you can always export to other formats and continue using a TIFF in LR, Photoshop, or other programs.

You open the Control Point Panel and click on the Control Point icon on the right side of the panel to activate new control points with a click of your mouse.  You can right click to duplicate or delete control points.  You can also right click to show the areas affected.

The control points cover more than just Hue, Saturation and Brightness. You just need to click on the small arrow below the sliders (for advanced controls) to expand the adjustments to include all eight sliders - Hue, Saturation, and Brightness plus Contrast, Red, Green, Blue, Warmth.

You can adjust the size of the control point and how much area is impacted. It works fine even at a 100% zoom or more.

As with earlier versions of Capture NX2, you can apply a neutral control point to prevent adjustments spilling over into unwanted areas.

I've been avoiding NX-D, but control points are excellent and easier to use than Lightroom adjustment brush for some edits.

The Retouch Brush in Capture NX-D has a nice feature in that you can go over the same area multiple times to improve coverage. Sometimes it works nicely while other times you need the adjustments of Lightroom or Photoshop.

This update is a big improvement in the free software.  It's definitely worth giving NX-D a try and using it when appropriate.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23637 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

That's good to hear. NX2 was excellent glad to hear they are at least trying to make NX-D more usable especially now they are releasing two new mirrorless cameras.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Photography, model railroading( n scale) camping, spending time with my family

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the link. I always felt the program was soooo slow. Just tried the new version quickly, pleasantly surprised. Just have to figure out the menus. 

cropped-medicine-lake.jpg

Paul van Harte Photography

Camera: D750, lenses: Nikon 24-120 F4 VR Nikon 200-500 F5.6, SB600 flash

Facebook page: https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

Flickr page: https://www.flickr.c...otos/pvanharte/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, software, nx-d, control points, editing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users