4 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

Since I have added this forum, I am concerned that we all be careful about whom we post information about. Sometimes a really good deal can turn out to be a really BAD deal.

It is best to be careful when purchases are made online. There are a lot of great small dealers out there, and a lot of really stinky ones too. I often look vendors up on ResellerRatings.com, my favorite dealer rating system. If you have concerns, use their search page here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/find.pl

They rate dealers on a scale from 1 to 10, and cover important areas like After Sale Customer Support, Will I buy Again, Shipping, and Returns. Check out the number of ratings and the six-month rating.

A good example is the old tried and true B&H Photo, who is rated at 9.5 out of 10. And then, there's Adorama, well known, but with a rating of only 4.55 out of 10. I personally have used both of these excellent dealers with great results. It's a good bet that dissatisfed people do most of the posting. But, that also tells us how some dealers handle after sale customer support. You have to decide where YOU feel safe. The higher rated vendors are surely going to care more about you in the long run.

Always take a great sounding deal with a grain of salt, until YOU are satisfied that things are okay.
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 mike_flood

mike_flood

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Darrell, I agree with you on several points. First off I feel that obviously most bad ratings come from the people who feel that didn't good product or service. But I think it takes a really overwhelmingly good experience to prompt someone to to take the time write a good review of a product or dealer. That alone could account for a lopsided rating. In the case of Onsale it appears that transactions on eBay seem to have gotten the many of the bad raps. I read some reviews about OnSale before I placed my order and saw references to bad eBay deals. I looked on eBay and could not find ANY reference to OnSale. Maybe eBay kicked off. I understand that eBay is pretty good about policing stuff. Poor communication from vendors such as not bothering to acknowlege an order, or answer even the simplest question is one (or is that two?) of the things I dislike most. Pantone is one of those companies that won't get repeat business from me because of both of those faults.

#3 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

Good point, DD. If you wanna get the goods and waste no time gambling on a no-name dealer, log on to B&H Photo and rest assured the package will arrived when scheduled with no surprises. You won't spend too much, get bamboozled with switched products, warranties are honored, and the service is the best. Isn't that what you paid for? Others I've used (and bear checking out) are Henry's of Canada and Cameta Camera in Amityville, NY. Amazon dealers are rated and should be safe bets but you never know - a phone call to these folks is a good idea if you can't get what you want anywhere else. Buying on eBay is like being blindfolded in a closet - I'm very gunshy about using anyone except Cameta online. B&H is still the safest route as they publish accurate product availability and shipping is prompt. Nuff said...

Edited by mule_patterson, 04 April 2006 - 08:00 AM.

Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#4 B&H Photo-Video

B&H Photo-Video

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I often look vendors up on ResellerRatings.com, my favorite dealer rating system. If you have concerns, use their search page here:

<a href='http://www.resellerratings.com/find.pl' target='_blank'>http://www.resellerr...com/find.pl</a>

They rate dealers on a scale from 1 to 10, and cover important areas like After Sale Customer Support, Will I buy Again, Shipping, and Returns. Check out the number of ratings and the six-month rating.

A good example is the old tried and true <b>B&H Photo</b>, who is rated at 9.5 out of 10.

+1 for resellerratings.com - a great site and very reliable. Thanks for mentioning B&H. That's very gratifying. We work hard to maintain customer satisfaction and seeing it reflected in 9+/10 ratings is great.

#5 JSwarce

JSwarce

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), home theater, reading, puttering about the yard trying to make it look good to impress the neighbors....

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

I agree with the comment about some disgruntled customers skewing a company's ratings lower than they should be. Just looking at some of the comments on Amazon just leave me shaking my head. I have had good results shopping at Calumet (in-store) and I have also ordered from Canoga Camera in CA with no issues and good pricing. --John

Nikon D800 w/grip
Nikon D300 w/grip
Tokina 17-35mm f/4
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Tamron 180mm f/3.5 Macro
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 macro/zoom lens
Nikon SB-900 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight
Think Tank, Kata and Tamrac bags