• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Here is a D300/D200 2 year Extended Service Coverage (ESC) for $60 at Adorama. That is half the price at B&H, for example. I saw that shortly after I bought my D300 in early September last year and thought something was wrong- it was just too cheap relative to others I've seen. Also, if you enlarge the product image it says it is only valid if bought within 10 days of the body. However, if you search "ESC" on NikonUSA's product support ask a question page, you find this, which says:

Nikon 2 Year Extended Service Coverages
Nikon sells Two Year Extended Service Coverages for most Coolpix and D-SLR cameras. ( Due to state law, Nikon ESCs are not sold in Florida, Virginia or Washington states.) These coverages extend your original Nikon warranty for two additional years. The ESC can be purchased ay time within the original one year Nikon Inc. warranty. To learn more and to purchase an ESC see:

http://www.nikonusa....e-Coverage.page

The purchased ESC form must be completed and mailed in as indicated on the form and a copy of the form as well as the original proof of purchase should be kept for future reference. Contrary to what some of the forms indicate there is no "10 day" limit on mailing the ESC form. As long as the ESC is purchased and the form submitted within the first year the ESC will be valid.

(emphasis mine)

Service contracts are very controversial. Surely it is a roll of the dice or a statistical game. But at some price it becomes compelling and I think at this price it's a no brainer. ODNT recently reported paying $300 (at Melville) for what I thought were rather minor repairs on his D200 (*), with some parts replaced that had nothing to do with his complaint. The problem, as I see it, is that when you send anything to NikonUSA they will do one of two things: repair the thing until everything is fully up to spec or.. return it because you won't pay the tab. Now, that works against you if you are paying the tab because it's something like taking your car into the shop and having the choice of restoring it to out of the factory specs, or living with whatever minor problem it has. You do, of course, have the option of using an independent repair facility, even a Nikon Authorized (but fully independent) facility and I suspect you can then cherry pick the repairs (although never done that myself). However, it works to your advantage when the thing is under warranty. I just had my 4 year 11 month old 70-200 in for what would probably have been a fairly major repair bill- new lens mount, some other internal part, plus a complete check and adjustment to resolve a sudden severe lens de-centering issue. I sent a TC14 (bought late in 2004) in with it that I thought worked flawlessly with everything except the 70-200 and my D300, where it seemed to have intermittent electrical contact problems. They replaced essentially all the mechanical parts - both mounts, the outer barrel (I have a new serial# now) plus a number of inner parts. Basically everything except the optics, which came back pristine. My tab was Zero - all under warranty - except for the postage and insurance to Melville. That suggests that this policy of "back to factory spec" is not just a revenue enhancer, it is a philosophy that is evenly applied to warranty work.

(*) I don't think a used D200 is worth $500 in today's resale market. However, I went through the same thing (really worse) with my D2H last year, which had a broken aperture linkage, making it unusable. The tab on that was $400, or maybe $100 less than what it was worth at the time. It made no economic sense to fix it but I went ahead anyway because it is a really fine camera and it really bothered me to trash it. I'm not faulting ODNT for his decision- I did the same thing, only worse. The reality is that these cameras are not really worth fixing considering the low resale value in two years time and the always high cost of repair. The lines intersect rather quickly.

Considering the above, I think that extended warranty is a no-brainer and if I could, I would buy two for a 4 year extension.

#2 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

Neil, The extension is the way to go. However, I don't think either you or OD made a mistake in spending the money to have your cameras repaired. Yes the repair was nearly as much as the resale value of the camera but the only other option would be a new camera. To replace the D200 you are looking at $1800 for a D300. The D2H would be replaced by a D3 at $5000. So you could actually say that OD saved about $1500 and you saved about $4500. That makes it seem like a bargain.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#3 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Sadly my dear D300 is over-the-hill, past the bloom of youth, and ineligible for coverage. I better take good care of her... the rest of ya better take this up - it's a deal. Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#4 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

I did weigh the possiblity of not having the work done. It was a bit steep considering what they are going for on the used market, but then what issues would I be getting there. I am glad that they did do the other rubbers. If one is loose, then it probably wouldn't be long before another came up. By having them all done done they "should" be good for another 2 years. "She..." has her foot down on new purchases til I find out more about my employement future, so this gives me a "like new" camera. Warranties are good if they are affordable and that you get the coverage you need. Don't know that loose bumpers would fall into a repairable item. Like auto warranties not covering tires. I'm just happy she's home, camera that is. :rolleyes: ODNT
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#5 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

I was a bit harsh in saying something to the effect that "it isn't worth fixing". Let's say a D200 is worth $300 used. Your camera cost $300 to fix. Your camera is a far superior bet to any camera you buy on the used market. Your camera is fully up to spec now. You can't say that for any camera you buy used, and you don't know how hard the camera was used or where it's been (a different matter than the shutter count). I was just trying to convey the psychological issues involved in spending a large percentage of the used value on a repair, something that is rarely considered when extended warranties are discussed.

#6 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

Actually, Neil, finding a premo used DSLR is probably very easy. Most of the ads I've perused reveal little use of a model that has been sitting and the desire for a new camera is all that causes the sale. My D70 saw more action than the d200 I sold off early in its life for a D300. I've even seen D700 and D3 bods selling in LN shapse - people are nutzzzz! Which tells me you could also likely sell a 'slightly' broken/easily repaired camera for parts or to a repair outfit and reinvest in a clean used camera that might even be better than yours was... just a thought. Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#7 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

I've never understood high end 1-2 year old DLSR's with 500 clicks. I shoot that much in the first weekend, just trying to figure out the camera. I just don't understand why someone would spend so much money on something that was used so little- and then claim they are selling it because they are upgrading <_< There is something wrong with that picture. But you re right, if you look hard enough they are there and I think a D200 is very, very cheap now considering what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users