5 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

Just a heads up for everyone using the new Nikon D500. There is apparently an issue with the SD card but an easy workaround. It is likely a power issue related to using the touchscreen LCD for playback of an image recorded on the SD card. I had this happen at the NANPA Regional on Friday in both use of RAW+JPEG Basic and in Playback and Delete of a RAW image with a Basic JPEG displayed next. In both cases it happened on playback immediately after the shot - not later. It's probably resolved with a firmware update by Nikon, but I could not rule out Lexar.

It was easily resolved by turning off the camera and reinserting the card. Using just the XQD card eliminated the problem for the rest of the weekend under all conditions. The camera is great - blazing fast, accurate AF, easy to handle, nice high ISO performance, and good handling of low ISO and colors.

Also note that it uses the new UHS-II SD cards which perform best with a UHS-II reader. The cards are VERY fast. Fast XQD cards are even faster - near shooting speed without using the buffer unless you have very long bursts or lots of short bursts.

This problem has been reported with both Lexar UHS-II cards - the 1000x and the 2000x.  I have the 2000x card.  It has been reported to not be an issue with the Sandisk 280 MB/s UHS-II card.  All of these cards work fine in earlier cameras but the interface is UHS-I in those cameras.  This is the first UHS-II camera from Nikon.  Each company designs their own software and components for the card and how it works in devices.  Apparently there is a difference between SanDisk and Lexar in their UHS-II designs, and it's causing a problem.  Sandisk has had other problems - for example, the 280 MB/s card is very slow in the D7100 compared to the Lexar 1000x due to the way it operates in compatibility mode in that camera.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7116 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

Wow thanks Eric.... hopefully only a minor hiccup in the new camera.. and fixable with a firmware update

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, Eric.

Signature_Line_V4

#4 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

Probably the question is who does the update - Nikon or Lexar.  

I was working with the camera again today and could not even playback the small basic JPEG's on the SD cards. We'll see what happens.  The XQD card works fine.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#5 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23698 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Eric for the info! Hmm if it works with SanDisk then I wonder if Nikon will leave it to Lexar? 

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

The cameras and their interface to the card are complicated.  There is a bus, software, and how the card operates in compatibility mode.  For example, on the D7100, the Sandisk 280 MB/s UHS-II card operated at just 37 MB/s in compatibility mode while the Lexar 1000x UHS-II card operated at 72 MB/s in compatibility mode.  I don't know enough to get too technical.  Thom Hogan suspects it is a Nikon issue, but it never came up in the pre-release road shows with a pre-production camera and the same card.  

I contacted both Nikon and Lexar support.  Both of them denied the problem - par for the course at this stage but disappointing.

Edited by ericbowles, 04 May 2016 - 12:56 PM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d500, nikon, lexar, uhs-ii, sd, memory, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users