• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

The bride is a friend and knows I'm no pro, and I'm looking for a few tips that might help me avoid screwing it up :) I'm planning on just bringing the 18-55 VRII. Is it best to just go by the Sunny 16 rule? I'll probably keep ISO on auto so I'll just be working with the shutter speed and aperture. it's an outdoor wedding, small gathering so nothing huge. This will be the setting, their back yard overlooking Cape Cod Bay

Attached Files

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6162 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

Lea, you are a very brave man!  Far braver than me.  

One of Scott Kelby's books talks about preparing a shot list, in advance.  Apparently, you can look this up online.  That said, I'm scurrying back under cover!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22562 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Having done several weddings over the years and I did a few with my D50 and that exact lens it can be done since you are outside that makes it even easier not having to deal with a dark church.

A few tips get the bride and groom to do a photo shoot with you at the site around the same time that the wedding will be this will give you some nice engagement type photos and let you get a good feel of what you are shooting. This will also give you a chance to see how harsh the light will be and if you are shooting into the sun or with it at your back, most likely you will be doing both.

Always shoot at the lowest ISO you can if its a sunny day you should have no issues.

Don't be afraid to use some fill flash, even though you are outside fill flash can be very effective.

Extra battery or two this is almost a must you will be shooting longer than you think so if you don't have one buy one.

Look online at some of the standard wedding poses here is a quick one that uses drawings there are others out there.

https://digital-phot...ng-photography/

Do you have a 50mm f1.8 or something close this makes a nice portrait lens on a DX body it will give you some nice head shots of the bride and you will need several of these as the Bride is the main attraction(sorry guys). Get one with the bride in front and the groom behind a few feet using a f1.8 to f2.8 aperture this will show her and he will be slightly OOF this is always a winner shot. If you don't have one see if you can borrow one from someone. As a last resort buy one they are only around 200$ new and the 50 f1.8G AF-s is a very good lens you might even be able to get one used but this is a must for anyones camera bag so it will not be a waste or a onetime use.  A second choice is the cheap 35 f1.8 G DX this is also around 200 new but doesn't give you as much a portrait look but it will still work.

Check your gear the day before and make sure you have a few memory cards and like I said a couple of charged batteries.

Last this is a major even and for the most part there is no do overs so take your time and read up. If you know someone with another DSLR preferably a Nikon ask to borrow it as a backup. Another thing can the D3300 shoot both RAW and JPEG is so do both it will fill your card up faster but gives you two options when PP time comes some of the JPEGs will be perfect and you will be able to just send those to the printers or make a disk without have to do much to them.

I am sure I will think of more and will post them when I think of them.

Oh again practice the poses use friends families and like I said a practice run at the wedding site with the bride and groom if they can not find stand ins this will ease your mind some.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the tips, yes the D3300 can shoot in both formats, this is a very low key wedding, I don't think they're doing the standard rituals like the bouquete toss etc.. she said they want better photos than an iPhone will give them but they're not expecting pro results, although I'll try.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

Having done several weddings over the years and I did a few with my D50 and that exact lens it can be done since you are outside that makes it even easier not having to deal with a dark church.

A few tips get the bride and groom to do a photo shoot with you at the site around the same time that the wedding will be this will give you some nice engagement type photos and let you get a good feel of what you are shooting. This will also give you a chance to see how harsh the light will be and if you are shooting into the sun or with it at your back, most likely you will be doing both.

Always shoot at the lowest ISO you can if its a sunny day you should have no issues.

Don't be afraid to use some fill flash, even though you are outside fill flash can be very effective.

Extra battery or two this is almost a must you will be shooting longer than you think so if you don't have one buy one.

Look online at some of the standard wedding poses here is a quick one that uses drawings there are others out there.

https://digital-phot...ng-photography/

Do you have a 50mm f1.8 or something close this makes a nice portrait lens on a DX body it will give you some nice head shots of the bride and you will need several of these as the Bride is the main attraction(sorry guys). Get one with the bride in front and the groom behind a few feet using a f1.8 to f2.8 aperture this will show her and he will be slightly OOF this is always a winner shot. If you don't have one see if you can borrow one from someone. As a last resort buy one they are only around 200$ new and the 50 f1.8G AF-s is a very good lens you might even be able to get one used but this is a must for anyones camera bag so it will not be a waste or a onetime use.  A second choice is the cheap 35 f1.8 G DX this is also around 200 new but doesn't give you as much a portrait look but it will still work.

Check your gear the day before and make sure you have a few memory cards and like I said a couple of charged batteries.

Last this is a major even and for the most part there is no do overs so take your time and read up. If you know someone with another DSLR preferably a Nikon ask to borrow it as a backup. Another thing can the D3300 shoot both RAW and JPEG is so do both it will fill your card up faster but gives you two options when PP time comes some of the JPEGs will be perfect and you will be able to just send those to the printers or make a disk without have to do much to them.

I am sure I will think of more and will post them when I think of them.

Oh again practice the poses use friends families and like I said a practice run at the wedding site with the bride and groom if they can not find stand ins this will ease your mind some.

Jim

I just ordered a new 50mm 1.8G for $175 shipped, looks like I'll have 8 days to practice with it before the wedding.

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22562 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Great it's a lens you will enjoy and it's great on full frame Nikons as well! It's sharp, fast, light with great contrast and color for under $200 can't beat that.

Beware primes are addictive thought.

Last remember at f1.8 your depth of field is shallow focus on the eyes! Test out how shallow your focus will be it's fun to play around with.

Congrats

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

I just ordered a new 50mm 1.8G for $175 shipped, looks like I'll have 8 days to practice with it before the wedding.

Congrats, Lea.  I have the D model.  As Jim has suggested, nifty fifties work a treat, for both DX and FX formats.  :)

Edited by Sailjunkie, 25 June 2017 - 11:54 AM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I have the 50mm. I got it sale as well. On my D4, I had to fine tune it. If you don't have time to get the 1.8 down, use F2 at full face, and focus as Jim said. If going profiles or two persons, use F2.8.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9836 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

You've got more guts than me, Jeff!  Enjoy the new lens and I hope you get some great wedding shots with it.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#10 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Trust me, if I didn't know these people I wouldn't be doing it  :D  Wedding photography is a responsibility I don't want. 

#11 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8400 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Good advice all.  Here are my two bits.  

I would use an 18-200mm lens. Believe me, a telephoto will make it so much easier for you.  You can stand in one spot and get a multitude of photos.  

Use a flash and not the on camera flash, if allowed.

Be prepared for the cell phone users, they have no respect for what you are doing.  Telephoto sometimes allows you to get your shot without fighting them off.

Go early!   At least an hour or so.  You can check out the environment.  

Does the bride want photos in her dressing room?

There is a lot more to this wedding photography than just taking good pictures. Have a plan!

If it is not too late--back out.

Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#12 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Good advice all.  Here are my two bits.  

I would use an 18-200mm lens. Believe me, a telephoto will make it so much easier for you.  You can stand in one spot and get a multitude of photos.  

Use a flash and not the on camera flash, if allowed.

Be prepared for the cell phone users, they have no respect for what you are doing.  Telephoto sometimes allows you to get your shot without fighting them off.

Go early!   At least an hour or so.  You can check out the environment.  

There is a lot more to this wedding photography than just taking good pictures. Have a plan!

No dressing room stuff, all outdoors and maybe some indoors later on, it's a low key wedding and a BBQ afterwards.

#13 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9836 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'm all-in for the BBQ!

:lol:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#14 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Lea, this is what Scott Kelby meant by a shot list.  I still think that you're a braver man than I am.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

TIPS?

1) Don't shoot weddings.  Failing that:

2) Make sure you have extra; Batteries, a backup camera, extra flash, lots of memory cards and someone to help you.

3) If you have a helper, get a reflector he can hold to throw some extra light, especially some warm light.  Reflectors have those 5:1 arrangements.

4) FILL IN FLASH, FILL IN FLASH, FILL IN FLASH.. especially, outside!  Watch those SHADOWS!!

- what ever you do, don't shoot in the shade without it

5) THE BRIDE is the center piece.  The reason for reason... the ONLY important person at the show.  Get tons of pictures of her, then her and the groom and then the groom.... and THEN... everyone else.

6) Look at what the PROS shoot.  The poses, the backgrounds etc. from inspiration and ideas.

7) I would take a practice run with a friend just to see how your images will turn out on the big day.  Know where you are going!

8) Do you need permits??  Shooting in a park?  Plan ahead.

9) Make sure you go around and shoot the TABLES when everyone is sitting.

10) You can never take enough pictures.  So, take a ton. 

11) Get a Gary Fong.  They are great flash diffusers.

OK, my very, very limited experience, this is the best I can tell you.

Good luck!  Have fun!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#16 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

Reiterating what has already been stated...

1. Use non-camera flash like an SB-700, SB-800 etc. - not the pop-up one - with a diffuser or tilt the head up and use the built in bounce card.

2. When/if you change lenses take a couple test shots before you get set up to take the important shot.

3. Keep shooting settings simple and use what you are comfortable with (aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, program, etc) and don't mess with the settings in the middle of the ceremony.

4. Extra batteries, memory cards, etc.

#17 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I don't have a flash besides the pop up one  :P I'm going ghetto here, entry level DSLR and a $200 lens. I'm actually looking forward to it. My backup is a Canon Powershot  :D

#18 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I don't have a flash besides the pop up one  :P I'm going ghetto here, entry level DSLR and a $200 lens. I'm actually looking forward to it. My backup is a Canon Powershot  :D

Lea, in one of his books, Scott Kelby said that you use pop-up flash on people you don't like.  If you want to use some flash without breaking the bank, there are plenty of 3rd party flash guns available.  I use a couple of Yongnuos, but there are other low-cost alternatives as well.  :)

Failing that, seriously consider Art's first tip.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#19 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

Flash everything. I used to set cam on ap. priority, and set lens at 4.5 and shoot. If you are outside, you have to deal with shadows, so flash all shots.

Be aware of back light that lies to your camera. Have bride plan for who she wants in family shots and have her tell them to be there. There is so much to this.

All weddings are different. I quit doing them and I quit counting after 100. Did I say to flash everything?

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users