#1 Rodney

Rodney

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

Hi

I am new in here and excited. i was actually looking for a community online where i may share and learn photography when i read about planetnikon. got a d90 gift from my wife. this is my first time to have a dslr and was planning to take a basic photography course. i am still learning how to handle this slr. i had a digicam before that is all we used and from the time that i tried holding a d90 from my friend who visited, i was stunned by the outputs and shots from it.

I was looking into the forum if there was any part here where shots taken are just from the kit lens of the d90. i am seeing lots of them in the net but mostly, i am reading on comments that they were edited thru photoshop or any other editors.

I like to take shots of people's faces and nature. For now, I rely on the net to browse for settings I need like for sunsets or night time shots. It is really fun and I am hoping to learn more and hope to share what will i learn. I am reading notes for adjustments of settings like aperture and shutter speeds, focus, bracketing, iso settings and the like but I want to concentrate first on the basic of photography.

Using kit lens, do you have any shots taken with the d90 and if you may, the settings you used on the shots?

Thank you so much.

#2 Guest_photogbuff_1970_*

Guest_photogbuff_1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

What do you mean by "kit lens"? What range is it. Is it the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6? Or did you get the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5? Which lens are you referring to when you mentioned "KIT LENS"?

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15293 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi... welcome to the fourm from colroado. Poeple and landscape... good place to start learning. Will you be printing or pic's or mostly for the web?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7241 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Welcome to Planet Nikon. That said, I'll join Photogbuff in asking you to clarify "Kit Lens". I got a good deal on my D80 because Nikon was just introducing the D90. The deal included the 18-105 VR lens that was being marketed with the D90. Despite the recent purchase of a Sigma super-wide, the 18-105 is still the "Go To" lens for me. I wanted the super-wide for Landscapes, but the 18-105 has proven to be a good all-round every-day type lens. In fact, most of the images that people like have been taken with that lens. Did your D90 come with something different? As for tips, you can't go wrong if you join a local camera club. You get to meet other folks who share your interest in photography. Further, my own experience suggests that they will be more than happy to share the tips that will help you get better. Mark

Edited by Sailjunkie, 16 March 2010 - 05:38 PM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

The only kit lens shots I have are like this from my 18mm-70mm Nikkor used on my D200. What camera they are used on will not make that much difference:- Attached File  post-139-1217021761.jpg   98.28KB   0 downloads Whilst kit lenses may not be as good as the horrendously priced so called professional lenses, they are good enough for most of our purposes if we don't want to make gigantic prints. I would leave your camera on it's basic default settings as it came out of the box for the time being and only change them when you understand what altering sharpening, colour saturation, etc, etc do. Should you alter anything and not realise what you have done there is a fail-safe method to get you out of it and set the camera back to the makers default settings called "The Two Button Reset". This link of Ken Rockwell's shows how to do it if you need it, but most of us only use it if we mess things up, not regularly as he seems to do:- http://kenrockwell.c...guide/index.htm Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#6 Jes

Jes

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Amateur Radio, 4X4's, Walking, Running, Computers, Camping. Kayaking,

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hi and welcome. I only have a kit lens at this time but hope to get a new one soon, looking at a 70 to 300 but will haqve to see how the funds go. Have a look here. http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Home/

Jes

D90, NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, NIKKOR 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR, Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2, KENKO DG Auto Extension Tubes, 12mm 20mm 36mm, SB-910, Photomatix Pro 5.0.4 64 bit, Photoshop CS. Photoshop Elements 11.
Coolpix 5700, FM
mu0chn IOTA EU-114 G-QRP 10080

#7 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

Hi and welcome.
I only have a kit lens at this time but hope to get a new one soon, looking at a 70 to 300 but will haqve to see how the funds go.

Have a look here.

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Home/

Nikon 70-300mm get the new one...a great lens for the price.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#8 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4260 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

Well if the new one at $570 is too much moolah, you can get the old 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (the one with the tripod collar) for around $150 and it's deadly sharp at f/8 & above.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#9 Rodney

Rodney

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

What do you mean by "kit lens"? What range is it. Is it the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6? Or did you get the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5? Which lens are you referring to when you mentioned "KIT LENS"?

Yes, i am referring to the 18-105mm kit lens.

Appreciate the welcomes and thank you all. i am looking forward to post my shots, i will be attending a child's baptism over the weekend and i am going to use my d90.

#10 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:07 AM

Here's Thom Hogan's review on the lens. Remember though reviewers remarks are often comparing budget lenses, which they consider the cheap end of the market (although we may consider them expensive) against very high cost professional lenses, and obviously if you pay a lot of money for a lens you expect nearer perfection from it. In most cases with reasonably sized prints though few of us would see any difference:- http://www.bythom.co...5lensreview.htm The last page of the following review will show you images taken with this lens:- http://www.photozone...or_18105_3556vr Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users