• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

As it so happens, this is 10 minutes from my house.  So, I saw a news clip on this issue this morning and grabbed my camera and went out.

Here is the story:

https://www.thestar....all-keenan.html

The Tom Riley Park STAIRS brew-ha-ha that has gone INTERNATIONAL. CNN picked it up, the BBC picked it up (so I am told) and the local media is a buzz and all over this story!

What's the story?

There is a parking lot near Bloor and Islington that leads down a treacherous slope to the park below and what looks like, allotments for gardens. Residents have fallen taking this short cut. There is a proper entrance to the area on the other side of the park which is completely inconvenient to those coming in from Bloor.

The answer?

Someone had a ROPE attached to the guard rail and people simple repelled down the slope. One person slipped and broke a wrist doing it.

So, local retired resident Adi Asti build a really nice wooden staircase. Why? Because he approached the City and they said it would cost up to $150,000!!

I love the City of Toronto! Such a fun place to have your tax money spent.

Adi built the stairs for $500! Did a nice job too.

City REMOVED Adi's stairs, Pronto-Quick.

The good news is..... they are putting in a PROPER staircase by next Friday! $15,000. It will be concrete, and safe, of course!

As you might anticipate, I am sure our TAXES SHOULD GO UP BY 10% NEXT YEAR TO COVER THE COST!

Seriously, you think they aren't already thinking about it!!!

Took these images 30 minutes ago.....

This is Adi, a retiree who is now WORLD FAMOUS!  Too funny.  Nice guy too!  Very pleasant.

Attached File  Adi-Asti.jpg   389.56KB   0 downloads

This is City Councillor Robert Di Ciano... right in the thick of it.  To his credit, he is on-side with the issue.

Attached File  Councillor-Di-Ciano.jpg   384.98KB   0 downloads

This is what is left of the STAIRS!! Nothing.  City removed them, back to the treacherous slope.  New concrete stairs in by next Friday!  WOW!

Attached File  Stairs.jpg   716.16KB   0 downloads

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#2 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14249 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Adi should put in a bid for $7,000 and put his $500 stairs in. He will get his money back for the first set and a bit of profit.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

I gotta agree with the city..... those steps are fine in the guys own back yard, but it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

But kudos for the guy taking the bull by the horns.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

I saw this story on the web, I can't believe they can't construct a proper staircase for far less than 15k! Who's building it, Raytheon?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22441 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

This is a disease with governments spending money like its Monopoly money.

As far as the steps they sure beat the slippery rocks that people were using. Yes I'm sure they are not code but what made me laugh was a retired 70 year old and a homeless man built them it took two city crews to take them apart that I am sure cost more than $550! :(

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for posting the Star article, Art.  Having served a couple of terms on our Strata Council (252 townhouses), I can see both sides of the argument.  I can understand why Adi gets frustrated; but I can also understand why the City might worry about liability.  That also sounds like the position of the Star's writer.

What I don't agree with is a $150,000 estimate for a proper set of stairs.  I think that was BS because notice how quick the estimate came down to $15,000.  It sounds a lot like the Canadian Armed Forces' $600 toilet seat.

Being a taxpayer in a suburban City can have its challenges, but at times like this, I'm really glad that I don't pay taxes to either Toronto or Vancouver!  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

I read every post and all have excellent comments and points.

Here is how I see this:

1) The City is right.  Why?  Code.... these stairs are not to code.  However, there was a ROPE there before and someone fell and broke their wrist.  The stairs are a much much better alternative in the summer. Its old people who use these.  Winter?  Forget it.

2) The City are GIANT, STINKY donut holes ..... $150,000???????  This makes my blood boil.  The corruption in Government stinks coast to coast.  So, now the City is embarrassed and the stairs will be build in record time and for cheap.  Wow.  I am boiling on this.  Maybe!! MAYBE!! $1,000 of concrete, two railings, rebar, framing etc.  $10,000 TOPS!!!!  It is all a SCAM.

So, WHO IS BUILDING IT?

CON ARTISTS.  Plain and simple.

The inside scum who are on the take.

Which is why... I so want to leave this garbage City.  Can't stand living here any more. Lots to see, lots to do, but the corruption and stupidity drive me nuts. 

More so, the average, idiot Torontonian who puts up with it and asks for more!

Ha... a little rant.  But not really, this is all matter of fact to me.  A day in the life here!

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

It sounds a lot like the Canadian Armed Forces' $600 toilet seat.

You must have an Area 51 too! ;)

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

Now I'm really going to drive you nuts, Art.  This story was on our local CTV dinner time news last night.  The overall theme was:  sometimes you CAN beat City Hall.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

Now I'm really going to drive you nuts, Art.  This story was on our local CTV dinner time news last night.  The overall theme was:  sometimes you CAN beat City Hall.  :)

I don't consider this incident beating City Hall.

Someone already broke a wrist in this spot.

He just hurried the process along and saved the tax payer a pile of money by embarrassing them.

They are flouting it the same way here.  Laughable.

Beating them would be say .....

Stopping the Party Pavilion a councillor is trying to build in a park on the lake.  He is a swindler, he has tried to fool the public for over a year.  And, I am sure he is benefiting from the project.

The community is up in arms over it.

This is a long drawn out affair, too political for here.

I started this topic because I was there and took the pictures.  ;)

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22441 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

"He just hurried the process along and saved the tax payer a pile of money by embarrassing them."

​That is exactly what he did and I applaud him! I understand that his steps were not for the long term and yes they are more suited for your back yard but he proved a point. One thing that made me crazy is this women is quoted in a Canadian paper taken from Facebook where she points out everything he did wrong and called his steps a death trap I was like OK which councilman or city works wife is she.

​Now heres the good news here our local news reported the story yes Memphis TN this was on the news and they lead with "70 year old handy man does what entire city couldn't with the help of a homeless man"  They closed with it took an entire city crew to take down what the 70 year old man did with the help of a  homeless man" gave me a good chuckle wish I had recorded it so Art could broadcast it in his neck of the woods.

Jim 

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

Jim,

He shamed the City real good, good for him! :lol:

The stairs were NOT a death trap.

Idiot drama queen!

The stairs were well suited for private property and would have lasted a couple of years on public property.

I would have done them slightly different, but in my opinion, if you are not a complete empty headed idiot and held the hand rail.... SAFE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users