2 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

I wanted the convenience of using Arca Swiss across most of my tri and monopods. The problem is that ballheads are expensive bits of equipment and I didn't want to get new ones. Well, as I was browsing the internet I discovered that it's possible to convert your old ballheads relatively inexpensively.  

If you have a ballhead with say a RC2 quick release plate and you want to switch to Arca Swiss then you can buy an Arca Swiss adapter clamp and put it on your old ballhead.

I went with the FotoPanda FP-AC01 (This is the Desmond FP-AC01 in the States). This isn't the cheapest option but I read the good reviews so I thought I'd go for it. The price here in the UK is £14.99 posted on eBay. There are cheaper options such as the Andoer branded model at half the price. Maybe I'll try getting a cheap one later just to see how it is.

Anyway the FotoPanda (Desmond) one is excellent quality and represents good value for money. It's well machined and screws onto my Manfrotto head precisely. There's no play or looseness at all on either the ballhead or when the camera is mounted. 

The picture below is the one I bought but the seller has quite a few other models that have slightly different features. This is probably the most basic.

FP-AC01.jpg

You can mount it to any 3/8"-16 post or 1/4"-20 (using the included 1/4" bushing adapter). So you can actually mount it directly onto a tripod without a ballhead or onto a quick release plate from a different manufacturer if you really wanted. 

If you're thinking of doing this type of conversion I found a good tutorial on this page: http://www.scvphotoi...arca-clamp.html

The above article gave me in inspiration to give it a try.

One reason I really wanted to go Arca Swiss was because I use a Peak Design Slide strap and didn't want the hassle of removing the Peak Design plate when I'm quickly trying to get my camera onto a mount at events. I often want to quickly swap between monopod for stability and hand held. I really don't have time to unscrew and screw on mounting plates.

If I have time I'll do a mini review of the Peak Design Slide strap too. It's a great strap and the best I've ever used. You should check their straps out if you haven't already. 

Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24011 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to your peak review.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10613 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm using a Vanguard Tracker III for my lighter cameta/lens combinations. The tripod head used is a Vanguard SB-300 which I have also converted to accommodate the Arca Swiss adapter clamp (Wimberley C-12).

I've always been very pleased with the Arca Swiss standard.

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users