4 replies to this topic

#1 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hi folks.  First time posting pictures.  You all were very helpful when I was shopping for a camera so I promised I'd post once i got it.  I ended up with a D5300 I got used with an 18-140 lens.  I took it on a recent cruise and took somewhere near a million pictures.  I wanted to share a few and I am open to any and all input you may have.  I found myself struggling to come up with composition that made sense and I have experimented with a few different ideas as far as processing goes.  We made 3 stops, this is a small sample of what I got from Antigua.

Attached Files

#2 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Daryl,

Well done for first time with the D5300. Antigua is on my cruise bucket list. When were you at sea? We might have passed each other although I don't recall seeing any MSC ships on my cruise.

Second shot - ship moored - I like the perspective and composition but I am not a fan of over-cooked HDR - as seen by the halos around objects.

Market scene - very nice, colourful. Would have been nice to get some closer, portrait type shots of either the women sitting in the lower left or the little girl, but you know how society is today when an adult tries to photograph a child and even some adults don't like it.

Last shot - very well done with framing the tower with foliage. I would suggest you try and rotate the image so the main tower is closer to vertical. And I know once you straighten the tower then the one in the background will be tilted, but I think, as long as the main tower is more vertical it will be fine.

Peter

#3 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Daryl,

Well done for first time with the D5300. Antigua is on my cruise bucket list. When were you at sea? We might have passed each other although I don't recall seeing any MSC ships on my cruise.

Second shot - ship moored - I like the perspective and composition but I am not a fan of over-cooked HDR - as seen by the halos around objects.

Market scene - very nice, colourful. Would have been nice to get some closer, portrait type shots of either the women sitting in the lower left or the little girl, but you know how society is today when an adult tries to photograph a child and even some adults don't like it.

Last shot - very well done with framing the tower with foliage. I would suggest you try and rotate the image so the main tower is closer to vertical. And I know once you straighten the tower then the one in the background will be tilted, but I think, as long as the main tower is more vertical it will be fine.

Peter

Thanks Peter.  I sincerely appreciate the feedback.  Antigua was interesting but maybe not the best destination.  I'm not sure if the island is still reeling from former government issues or the fact that the ships don't go there as heavy as they do other places in the Caribbean but they were hurting a little.  We still had a good time and it was election day so it was interesting.  

It's the first time I've really carried a camera around on a vacation for the purpose of trying to compose and make good images so it was a learning experience for sure.  It is interesting how it forces you to look at things different.  And I agree, I wouldn't normally amp up the HDR.  I think I had done so many plain I was looking for something different.  I could stand to dial it back some.  And I love street portrait photography but I was to chicken to do it this time.  I saw some interesting people that would have made good subjects too.  And I thought I had straightened that last one but looking at it I clearly havent hit the sweet spot yet.

Thanks again for the help.  I'll likely post more from the trip as I get time.

#4 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

And I love street portrait photography but I was to chicken to do it this time.  I saw some interesting people that would have made good subjects too.

I too tend to limit my street portrait opportunities when I am in "tourist" mode. Maybe I should do the opposite and claim ignorance like the majority of the tourists?

#5 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21096 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

Very nice, series, thanks for sharing.  Would love to photograph that wreck! 

Congratulations on your new toy, you did well with it.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users