6 replies to this topic

#1 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

I've known about this for ages but never gotten round to having a go but i came across this video the other day and because the lad in it happened to have the same lens as me it gave me the kick I needed.

Anyhoo I took the car, camera and dog out for a play to see if I could get a decent result and after a quick fiddle came home with 66 RAF files that I hoped had the whole scene covered. I did try to keep them all nicely lined up but after the first few dozen I got a bit random but to be fair they all still aligned correctly so I wouldn't say you need to be uber careful

After I got home and  loaded them into Lightroom (any software will do at the stage) I initially Exported them as full-sized JPEG's to a named folder on my desktop for easy access later. As Photoshop and my old iMac struggled for nearly half an hour to sort them and then produced a 230 million pixel files ( ARGH!!!!!!!!! ) I went back and exported them again as 1000 pixels files:

Attached File  Screen LR.jpg   215.9KB   0 downloads

Once you have your files open Photoshop (I think you do need this software but there might be others that can do it) navigate to: File - Automate - Photomerge. Make sure you click on Reposition as this keeps the image flat - Blend Images Together so they match each other - Folder then point it at the one you created with all you files in. Photoshop will then load them all into the Photomerge box and once you hit OK it will set about combining them. Now this may take some time so a cup of tea/coffee may be in order.

Attached File  Screen PS Blend.jpg   215.1KB   0 downloads

After it has crunched all the files you'll end up with something like the below screen shot. The gaps are where you didn't take enough images and its all still layered so you can tweak any oddities - mine looked to be spot on so all I did was crop it ready for final processing.

Attached File  Screen PS Layered.jpg   194.25KB   0 downloads

At this point you can do as you would normally to get it the way you like - I shoved it into ACR and gave its a tweak for this demo but really its up to you.

Focus.jpg.79da1717fd4fb50e4f254e3be519d3

Have fun...

BP

Edited by Black Pearl, 31 August 2016 - 11:22 PM.

• Art likes this
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Thanks..must try this when I have some time.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

Yeah have read about this technique. Looks good.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23648 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:30 PM

Thanks BP will have to give it a try!!!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7064 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:29 AM

Wow.... a lot of work.... but....great result

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

Nice image. Interesting technique.
Signature_Line_V4

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Enjoyed the video, thanks for the link.
Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users