#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8073 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

For those of you who like mirrorless but not full frame.  :)

http://www.sansmirro...nouncement.html

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10824 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

Nah, I still love my D50, D300!

Perhaps I'll consider mirrorless when / if I turn 70 years of age.

:D

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22204 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:38 AM

All I can say is:

Why?

I would not have gone this route. Why invent the wheel twice?

I don’t get it....
Signature_Line_V4

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24113 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

All I can say is:

Why?

I would not have gone this route. Why invent the wheel twice?

I dont get it....

Art not everyone needs the size, cost and weight of full frame and lets be honest the IQ difference is not as great as it used to be! The D500 is killer many sports photographers use it.

The fact you can now get a Z with all the Zs Mount advantages in a smaller package complete with two nice lens under $1400 is a win for us lower income photographers.

Fuji is killing it in the DX mirror less market Nikon Is trying to take a chunk of that market back.

Add the specs are pretty good, 11 FPS on an entry level camera thats a true shot across Sonys DX system that sells very well by the way. Nikon is going right at Sonys A64xx cameras.

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22204 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Art not everyone needs the size, cost and weight of full frame and lets be honest the IQ difference is not as great as it used to be! The D500 is killer many sports photographers use it.

The fact you can now get a Z with all the Zs Mount advantages in a smaller package complete with two nice lens under $1400 is a win for us lower income photographers.

Fuji is killing it in the DX mirror less market Nikon Is trying to take a chunk of that market back.

Add the specs are pretty good, 11 FPS on an entry level camera thats a true shot across Sonys DX system that sells very well by the way. Nikon is going right at Sonys A64xx cameras.

Well, I may not like it, but I hope it is successful for them. I have to admit, the specs are pretty darn good! I love the 11fps.

Signature_Line_V4

#6 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

The DX market represents a very high percentage of DSLR camera sales.  There are lots of people that own an entry level DX camera and lenses.  For a relatively small portion, this is just an entry point for a migration to full frame.  But the top selling cameras from Nikon are always DX models.

I see this camera appealing to two groups.  The primary market is entry level camera owners.  They are coming from a phone or an older DSLR, and want a mirrorless model.  They are not gearheads and may not buy another camera for 5-8 years - but there are a lot of these people.  Today, mirrorless has a lot of hype and publicity.  There are a lot of options for 4/3 or APS-C cameras.  This gives Nikon a chance to be part of that conversation and a good option.  The mass market advertising and marketing Nikon does is geared to this segment.  For an entry level camera, the Z50 is a simple answer and a very good camera.

The other place where this camera fits is for existing Mirrorless users or DSLR users that want to try out mirrorless.  The primary benefit is reduced size/weight.  The Z50 and kit lens is almost half the weight of the Z6 and kit lens - and  70% lighter than any DSLR and normal lens.  If you have a favorite lens from your DSLR or Z camera, you can use it with the Z50 and FTZ.  But the kit lenses are likely to be pretty good - especially at the price.  This camera is perfect for throwing in a laptop bag or purse.  

I see plenty of photographers with a Nikon DSLR and a 4/3 system.  This probably stops a lot of the erosion.  Why would I want to maintain two systems when for $1000 I can buy the Z50, the 16-50 lens, and use all my existing lenses with the FTZ if desired.  This is a pretty easy option.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users